Misophonia?

Discussion in 'Braaaaiiiinnnns...' started by Void, Jan 3, 2017.

1. Void

Void on discord. Void#4020

Does anyone here have experience with it? I've been kind of concerned in the past few years that my irrational irritation with certain noises. (People chewing food, smacking lips, repetitive tapping noises on wood or walls, BABIES CRYING, most people crying, sometimes even yawning)

Like. It generally involves instantly making me angry. Super angry. I get intense loathing of whatever is making the noise, often fantasize about destroying and/or killing whatever is making it. I HATE EATING NEAR PEOPLE. Especially people who eat loudly. Like if there's a lot of background noise like in public it's not so bad. But at home? It's so bad i want to take what people are eating and just throw it. I will get skin crawling, just intense feelings of rage and discomfort, a lot of times it makes me anxious.

My own sounds are fine, but when other people do them it just. It's so viscerally no that I worry at some point I might escalate?

Baby crying is one of the worst, because good fucking lord I have wanted to literally chuck crying babies through windows. It's just.

AAAA

Hell, at this point I still feel gross thinking about these sounds. It's bad. I hate them. I don't know if it's bad enough to be classified as misophonia but dear lord what the fuck do people do about this

• Like x 1
  2. prismaticvoid

prismaticvoid Too Too Abstract

I don't have misophonia myself but from what I know, "willing to commit violence to make sound stop" is pretty symptomatic. Might be worth bringing up with therapist?

• Like x 1
  3. Void

i know the more overstimulated i get, the worse i am at handling it. but i always have a certain level of 'i would love to beat your face in if you make one more lip smacking noise while you eat. just fucking do it i will break your plate over your head'

i literally avoid eating with people for the most part because of this. just. no

i don't usually actually perform violence. usually. when i was younger i had a lot less self control

• Like x 1
  4. Aondeug

Aondeug Cringe Annoying Ass Female Lobster

I don't have misophonia but there are some sounds that are very viscerally NO to me in a similar fashion to yours. With my things I do what I can to limit contact with the things which...is probably something you already have done. I try to keep little things on hand that I can mess with for my general anxiety issues, of which "OH GOD THE SOUND OF FABRICS RUBBING TOGETHER OH GOD NO I WANT TO DIE NOTHING IS RIGHT" is one. Fiddling can help keep me where I need to be. Other thing I do is the applying meditation to the situation thing. Basically find a thing I can focus on in my head and proceed to keep my mind on that as much as possible. While still being here.

I'm definitely going to second bringing it up with a therapist.

5. Void

see i can try a lot of that, but often if it's loud enough there is no way i won't notice it. these noises literally cut through everything else and straight down to my core and just drag up the most instant and heated rage and hate i have. it's like. beyond dislike and beyond a NO it's just. visceral and deep This Thing Needs To Die.

I see my therapist on friday, and I'll mention it, but we're in the middle of doing trauma work instead of focusing on stuff like this.

I do try to limit my contact, but I live with people and unless I literally crawled into a cave in the desert somewhere, I am going to encounter these noises. The more I hear them, the more I just. Get more agitated and primed to hear it later.

6. Aondeug

Aondeug Cringe Annoying Ass Female Lobster

Ahhhh. Hrmm. That is sadly all I have to offer on this subject.

7. IndigoRiffRaff

IndigoRiffRaff FACE GOD AND WALK BACKWARDS INTO HELL

oh god the eating sounds thing. Eating sounds/what I classify as "mouth sounds" are the Worst. It doesn't necessarily make me Angry always - but it depends on who's doing it. It definitely causes me distress (luckily for me my family usually has music playing when we eat) and sometimes does make me want to just physically Make It Stop. Another thing that Bothers me is certain words and how they're said- treat, when used as a noun, is one. For some reason the way it's said is horrendous to me? (luckily for me, //sarcasm, my parents say it all the goddamn time)
    So idk this is not helpful in any way but I guess similar hat?

8. Void

I appreciate the input anyways.

I already on a good day find IRL Humans Talking to be mildly irritating, I just generally do not like verbal human noises, and there are certain tone ranges that set it off worse than others. I always have a lot of audio based issues. Sounds are good at pissing me the fuck off. Or making me have meltdowns. Just there's a Few Sounds that are worse than others.

Everything is very tiring and irritating and I am probably just some kind of jerkass but just. Can humans stop making noise? I can make noise, but other humans. Just don't noise. Don't breathe near me, don't eat near me. Just like. Quiet. Silent. Make no fucking noise.

9. Void

Music playing in the background is so helpful when I'm in public tbh. Often I listen to my ipod if i'm eating out alone just because it can consistently drown out other noises.

Mouth sounds are horrendous and every time I hear them I just wanna punch people. Munching, crunching, chewing. Those awful 'mmm' noises people make when enjoying a thing. Lip smacking. All of it. If you make them, I want to punch you. Even if I like you, I still want to punch you. In fact, if you make those noises I am fantasizing about punching you.

Hearing things over a speaker is generally fine. It's almost never bothersome. But it's always when it's real people in my vicinity that it just drives me batshit insane.

10. IvyLB

IvyLB Hardcore Vigilante Gay Chicken Facilitator

You are already lucky in that your own noises don't bother you! I recommend TV/music when eating always. Otherwise earplugs or noise cancelling headphones maybe?
    I can't do the latter two bc I want to tear off my own face off if I can hear myself making noises at all and earplugs make it so I hear myself way more QuQ

11. KingStarscream

KingStarscream watch_dogs walking advertisement

The best thing I can suggest is keeping an ipod around and listening to music that's soothing whenever you think you're going to be around the sounds that trigger you. I usually only get sick around chewing sounds, but if a particular nasal/whine tone gets played near me, I black out in rage-- the best I've ever managed is power walking away from people with voices that enrage me and keeping my music around for situations where powerwalking away isn't an acceptable reaction.

12. Codeless

Codeless Cheshire Cat

I don´t mind eating sounds, but babie noises drive me straight up the wall. Including the violent urges. (I don´t act on them and never would but god.)

13. cleverThylacine

cleverThylacine cuddles for the weird and the fierce

For me it's always people's phones. Your notifications are not that important that I need to know about them and if you're playing games in public wear earphones or turn off the sounds. I can't stand the sounds when I'm playing myself, I sure don't want to hear yours.

14. Newlyread

Newlyread Killer Queen

I don't get violently angry but I do get pissed and frazzled by a lot of people talking, loud thumping bass, and any random, irregular noise. It's especially bad when I'm trying to focus on something -- even my housemate talking to himself on the other end of the hall will make me want to scream.

15. Emma

Emma Your resident resident

There's a reason I greatly prefer the TV to be on when I am eating at my parents' and why I prefer there not to be food served when I am my grandparents'.

Baby noises don't bother me much unless I am on edge already, but man, food noises...

16. Void

See I would do that, but it gets physically painful to wear headphones/earbuds for too long, and when you eat at dinner people find it rude as fuck to wear headphones. My family would make people take them off cuz dinner is a time to talk. Usually I end up eating very little and hiding in my room to eat later.

The problem most of the time is I live with people who make these noises and sometimes I cannot even escape them in my room cuz I share it with another person. Every human makes eating noises that I hate, but some people are way worse than others. Like I just don't know what to do? It's making me constantly irritable and developing a massive hatred of people who I normally don't mind because they're pretty okay people

I sometimes channel the violent desires into just kind of banging my head on the wall because hey, I can drown out anything with enough pain and self created noise

17. KingStarscream

Is there a way to play background music on a tv or a radio or something to drown it out, or are you too hypersensitive to the sound for it to work? It's a shitty situation, and I'm sorry you have to go through it.

18. Void

When I'm in my room I try to keep music or videos or movies playing to keep the sound irritation to a minimum

But I can't do that elsewhere in the house, and I also tend to be anxious and uncomfortable with flat out silence so gotta love clashing anxiety triggers

19. KingStarscream

Witnessed, that's the worst. :(

20. Void

I hate that I hate people making mouth noises. I have such a low tolerance for most noise and it sucks, cuz it's pretty much constant and consistent and just. no no no. like

aaaa??? i cannot live in a hole in the ground away from people. that just doesn't work. and i can't afford my own place where i don't have to listen to other humans make stupid human noises

/flops facefirst into the abyss

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice