Moderation protocol question/request

Discussion in 'The Undercity' started by hoarmurath, May 21, 2015.

1. seebs

seebs Benevolent Dictator

Okay, so, followup on part of this: We've been doing the full moderation thing for a couple of weeks, and I'd like to see how people feel about it.

For reference, yes, there's been a couple of posts I haven't approved. I think maybe two or three? Not a ton, though. I think it helps that the initial post doesn't get responses that escalate things further. I don't really like the delay in posts showing up, but I think overall it's working. But! I am more interested in opinions from other people, especially BPD Anon and anyone who was upset by the angry posts.

2. BPD anon

BPD anon Here I sit, broken hearted

I kind of felt more free to post those angry posts because I knew you would moderate them. I don't know whether or not I would have still done them without moderation. Probably sometimes? IDK. Maybe I would have deleted them soon after I posted them? Or maybe I would have just left them and moderation saved the day.

Sometimes I have been really frustrated because no mods were on and a conversation progressed without me when I wanted to contribute. Especially since I stay up until 3 AM same time zone as the mods and only Jesse ever stays up that late and even then it's hit and miss.

Also I kind of enjoy knowing that all my posts are seen by Jesse, Seebs, or Luka because those are people I look up to.

I'm not 100% sure the thread alerts everybody to my new post if others have posted afterward unless I tag them, which is annoying because I don't want to get buried.

• Like x 2
  3. Fish butt

Fish butt Everything is coming together, slowly but surely.

I think you're okay on that Beeps. When you replied to my thread I was notified the moment it got approved.

Edit: and you were the first one to answer it. So while it was buried, the notification brought me up to it, and I could answer to it.

Last edited: Jun 11, 2015
    • Like x 1
  4. Mala

Mala Well-Known Member

@BPD anon I've gotten alerts for your posts in the Complaints Department thread even when there were posts after it that I'd already seen. I'm glad this is (mostly) working for you!

5. hoarmurath

hoarmurath Thor's Hammer

I am actually really pleased to be happy about your posts, because you say funny and insightful things. And now when I see your icon I know that the angry/splitty posts won't show up. I think it's helped a lot.

Also I think in a topic someone posted for you and that was fine too, because I would assume most people here would refuse to copy a splitty post for you.

• Like x 1
  6. jacktrash

jacktrash spherical sockbox

yeah, i wish i could think of a solution to this. i do try to check in before i go to sleep, but my health being what it is, my sleep schedule is super erratic. iirc your laterposts do get all the alerts and new-post-ness even if folks have posted after them, but you can always tag or quote people if you want to make sure.

7. Morven

Morven In darkness be the sound and light

We are probably going to need to have a few more people in the group who can approve posts to reduce stress; I don't want Jesse or anyone else to feel stress from this, and it appears to be a good idea to have.

8. hoarmurath

hoarmurath Thor's Hammer

Ideally some of these people would also be on Euro time to cover for the times when Americans are sleeping, but I know besides me only three other people who are.

(I don't consider myself an option, obviously, since I would not be able to do the job as well as it deserves to be done.)

9. BPD anon

As somebody who had a problem with me, why would you even presume that you would be considered in the first place?

10. jacktrash

beeps, i think they're just qualifying because the way they phrased their post might've made it sound like they were offering.

11. seebs

I wouldn't inherently rule out the possibility of someone who had a problem with the angry posts being involved in moderating to keep them filtered, as long as they understood the intent of moderation. There's a certain reasonableness to "if you think something needs to be done about this, you can contribute to doing something about this". It depends a lot on the people. I've known people whom I would in general trust to be reasonable and fair, even with people they had personal conflicts with.

• Like x 1
  12. Hobo

Hobo HEYYEYAAEYAAAEYAEYAA

Aussies are also another option I think.

13. AbsenteeLandlady123

AbsenteeLandlady123 Chronically screaming

I kind of want to put my hand up to volunteer, but I sometimes have days where I probably need moderation :c If people think I'd be okay at it though I'm willing to try to help spread the load a little bit.

14. jacktrash

it's not a tricky judgement call really, just 'approve everything unless it's a capslock flipout'. if you're unsure of something you could leave it for seebs. i'd trust you to do that.

we're not getting slammed, tho. it's just that we're not always online.

15. AbsenteeLandlady123

AbsenteeLandlady123 Chronically screaming

I can do that then!
    btw I'm going to go back to the self-harm thread and delete the bad post, I feel really terrible for leaving it up so long

• Like x 1
  16. Hobo

Hobo HEYYEYAAEYAAAEYAEYAA

I think K would be a good choice of mod, my only concern would be what would happen in the future if she does decide to have her own posts moderated. Is it possible for mods to moderate other mods in that way?

17. Vacuum Energy

Vacuum Energy waterwheel on the stream of entropy

I'll also volunteer, as I am reasonably sure that I won't need to request moderation for myself and I tend to be up until ass o' clock.

18. jacktrash

i don't object to bumping another mod, but i'm gonna leave the decision up to seebs.

19. seebs

It is late and I am sleepy-headed and wish to Not Make A Decision Now, but I will try to get back to this.

20. BPD anon

I'm not too sure about all this talk about new mods. I mean it's a bit of an inconvenience currently but I don't want a bunch of people I haven't been following as long seeing all my tantrums.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice