Mutant and Proud! (X-men here!)

Discussion in 'Fan Town' started by PotteryWalrus, Jan 28, 2016.

1. PotteryWalrus

PotteryWalrus halfway hideous and halfway sweet

Since I couldn't find one, herein lies the thread for X-men discussion! Movies, comics, anything else that exists in this franchise that I didn't know about...

Talk about the world! Ramble about mutant OCs. GUSH OVER ERIK AND CHARLES' EPIC KISMESISITUDE, BECAUSE BE HONEST THAT'S WHAT WE ALL WATCH THE MOVIES FOR

(Also I suppose Hugh Jackman is a thing that happens
    .)

Spoilers ought to be covered, especially if we have any comic fans here, because I have no idea where to start with that kudzu thicket of a continuity. (Although if anyone has any recs I am on that like fleas on a dog.)

• Like x 4
  2. strictly quadrilateral

strictly quadrilateral alive, alive, alive!

Hello, Nightcrawler is my favorite X-man and I am too distracted to say much else right now. Um. I have a lot of comics but I can't keep the separate continuities straight for shit.

• Like x 2
  3. Deresto

Deresto Foolish Mortal

hell yes, xmen thread! has anyone read the Exiles comics? the basic premise is a bunch of mutants taken from several different realities are tasked by a mysterious force to correct realities that have been altered for whatever reason. i bring it up because the first leader of the exiles is Blink (the pink teleporter chick) from days of future past! the reality with the sentinels is the one she grew up in, and i was so happy to see a character i never thought would be in a movie be on the big screen! i collect the series and she's my favorite.

• Like x 1
  4. strictly quadrilateral

@Deresto no, but I'd be more than happy to. Do you have a link or something?

5. Deresto

Deresto Foolish Mortal

you can read the first 6 issues here but good luck finding the rest. i've been collecting them for years and still haven't read them all lol.

6. strictly quadrilateral

oh, good, i'll have fun tracking them down if i enjoy them. My friend knows some shady anime figurine dealers who know some shady comic book dealers, so I'm sure it'll work out just fine.

• Like x 1
  7. PotteryWalrus

I am deeply entertained by the idea that there is an implied black market for comicbooks. I tend to burn through the weekly/monthly paper issues within like, half an hour at most so I usually wait until there are graphic novels/trade paperbacks out. Are there any such things in the X-men 'verse worth reading? Is Exiles out in graphic novel format?

(Also who else is trash enough to have mutant OCs? I can't be the only one XDD)

8. Deresto

Deresto Foolish Mortal

you can get issues 1-100 in the ultimate collection books; there's 6 volumes and they tend to go for about 30-40 bucks if/when they're available. there's 16 volumes as trade paperbacks too, but besides volume 1 they're way harder to find (or i'm just bad at looking). i just like collecting the individual issues from half price books when i can find them, it's more fun that way. i don't know if new exiles or the 2009 exiles ( i don't think it's a retcon but it might as well be?) have trade paperbacks though.

• Like x 2
  9. Deresto

Deresto Foolish Mortal

also i don't really have any ocs but i've been into xmen anything since i was like...10? so i have a habit of trying to imagine every single other thing i like in the xmen universe. i've read so many xmen crossover fanfics. even some of the more terrible ones.

• Like x 2
  10. tinyhydra

tinyhydra a dingus

!!! x-men is so good for ocs, i have like twenty that are all basically "oh man, all the powers, weird powers, gross powers, stupid useless ugly powers!!!!" And it's a sc hool, so bonus dramatic teen angst over stupid ugly useless powers, yehyeh.

• Like x 3
  11. lupadracolis

lupadracolis [This space is intentionally left blank]

X-men: Evolution was my first big online fandom, so I had a self insert oc who was basically an excuse to write fluffy wingfic with Nightcrawler. I deleted it in a fit of late-teens horror at my past self which, looking back on it, I regret doing. I was also hugely into Rogue/Gambit, which I stand by.

• Like x 2
  12. Emma

Emma Your resident resident

X-men evolution was totally the first time I ever knew anything about Xmen and I really loved it. It's still my favourite, but I love the movies as well :)

• Like x 1
  13. lupadracolis

I adore the movies, trashy and ridiculous as they are, but I wish they'd kept Rogue true to her canon personality. The movies just make her so... wimpy. Rogue's fire is the thing I love about her.

• Like x 3
  14. PotteryWalrus

Is it weird that I'm ridiculously pale for Erik Lehnsherr? Like ridiculously so?

(It helps that one side of my family is czech jewish and my grandfather lost a lot of family to the concentration camps - my great-aunt, his cousin, actually survived that madness long enough to see me and my brother born and lived until I was around six or seven - I just remember a very sad, very kind old lady with very knotted-gnarled hands. She smiled a lot, but even little-me could sense all the pain and suffering she'd been though.)

I just... my mum in particular is still hurt by all that, and I know for a fact that if I was in his situation, I would do exactly the same. (Especially if I had that kind of power, wow, motherfucker. Talk about provoking a dragon.)

It's nice, to be as positive and optimistic about humanity as Charles is, but... we do very terrible things to things we don't like or understand. Better to be strong enough that people can't touch you, than gentle enough that they think they can.

• Like x 2
  15. I almost wish I'd read the comics but I've only really gotten into the movies when they did the reboot, starting with First Class, which is probably my favorite live action movie of all time.

• Like x 1
  16. PotteryWalrus

That is perfectly fine by me because the two most recent films are my FAVOURITE XD

• Like x 1
  17. lupadracolis

I looove the fight scenes versus the sentinels in DoFP, they really think with portals and it's delightful.

• Like x 3
  18. I sat back in the theater when the credits for First Class rolled and went "YES, THAT'S what I want from a superhero movie!"

• Like x 1
  19. PotteryWalrus

I was so sad at the end of First Class, though. Charles spent most of the film flipping pale-red for Erik, and then he's lost EVERYTHING, including Erik and Raven and his legs. (Jumping into the water to stop him from drowning himself in pursuit of vengeance and then - 'I...thought I was alone.' 'You're not alone.' SO PALE OMG.)

Also I am homsetuck trash I've even thought about limeblood Erik and cerulean Charles, help

Also also did I or did I not read something on tumblr which says Erik probably did more damage pulling the bullet out and it's likely his entire fault Charles is paraplegic forever? Urgh feels XD

• Like x 1
  20. Well.. red, at least. I can't ship em pale for some reason.

I hear you about Erik buT OK, SO, MYSTIQUE WAS AWESOME. ERIK AND CHARLS WERE AWESOME AND SENSITIVE AND ACTUALLY CARED ABOUT EACH OTHER ON SCREEN. SO MANY BADASS LADIES AND SO MUCH HO YAY AND SO LITTLE MACHISMO.

• Like x 1
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice