Mutual ignore software feature, AKA Yet Another Policy Discussion

Discussion in 'The Undercity' started by seebs, Mar 16, 2017.

1. seebs

seebs Benevolent Dictator

I found an addon for this. I'ma try to get it installed. This may result in brief downtime but I hope not?

• Like x 9
  2. LadyNighteyes

LadyNighteyes Wicked Witch of the Radiant Historia Fandom

In the interest of clarity, how exactly does this work differently than the existing Ignore feature?

• Like x 2
  3. furrylatula

furrylatula a pissed off homestuck girl

if it doesn't, might i point out that this is a VERY easy way to see who has you ignored? just check your ignored accounts page for people you didn't add

4. Maya

Maya smug_anime_girl.jpg

Seebs: I found this shiny feature thingy!
    Everyone: Oh god what does it do
    Seebs: No talk, just science

• Like x 16
  5. seebs

In theory, anyway, it works in that I can say "you two, NO MORE FIGHTY" and two people are now on each others' ignore lists and cannot unignore each other. Probably.

also Maya your description is very accurate and a little disturbing.

• Like x 11
  6. Paradigm Shift

Paradigm Shift Sleepy Girl Wants Love

My hopeful guess is that it's an additional ignore button that sends a request for a mutual ignore to whoever ignores you via the mutual ignore button, and then if either of you break it the system lets you know? So, like...an actual reassurance that ignores are being upheld, but only so long as you do it that way?

I'd hope it doesn't override the existing one.

EDIT: Oh, it's a mod tool override. Alright!

• Like x 3
  7. furrylatula

OKAY so its strictly a mod imposed thing?

8. seebs

Yes. It doesn't change the behavior of the normal user-controlled ignore feature, I believe.

• Like x 3
  9. chaoticArbiter

chaoticArbiter an actual shiny eevee (destroyer of worlds)

would this be like, a thing we could ask for if we wanted it, or are you going to decide when it's needed and only use it then

10. Maya

Maya smug_anime_girl.jpg

From what I understand it's a requested feature for when a user wants a mutual ignore that can't be broken

11. chaoticArbiter

hmmm, okay

12. furrylatula

what are the chances that it'll be abused to exclude people from general conversations? (e.g: not just 'don't talk to me' but 'don't have any context for conversations because one side of it is completely gone and there's nothing you can do about it'.)

• Like x 2
  13. Maya

Maya smug_anime_girl.jpg

I'm not parsing this correctly, sorry. I would imagine the only use is for when a user interacting with the posts of someone who has them on ignore is distressing to them??

14. seebs

That is a really good question! I was thinking to do it as a mutual-consent thing by preference, sorta like post moderation. I... haven't totally thought this through? It's sorta a mad science thing.

My expectation is that this should be a pretty rare thing. I haven't yet figured out whether the "show ignored content" thing lets you bypass it, in which case it won't help much, but it's a thing.

• Like x 2
  15. furrylatula

i mean like

having someone on ignore not only removes their personal posts, it removes the posts in places like FID and fandom threads where it's an overall group discussion and you really need those posts to understand the conversation, even if you don't interact with that person specifically

with the voluntary ignore, you can just hit 'show ignored content' and you'll have full context for the conversation and then you can refresh the page and go back to them not existing. mandatory force-ignore takes that ability away

• Like x 3
  16. chaoticArbiter

hmmm
    but what if mutual consent isn't possible? I mean, if you have one user who's attacking another user, and the user being attacked wants a mutual ignore put in place by you, I doubt you're going to get consent from the attacking user. and I think at least temporary mutual ignores might help that kind of thing. assuming you can't bypass it.

17. Maya

Maya smug_anime_girl.jpg

I think we use the ignore function differently, then, lmao. I don't press the show ignored content button, even if I'm missing conversation context. :P

18. seebs

So long story short: At least for now, it doesn't seem that the "show ignored content" thing goes away. So you can't take someone off your ignore list if you're on Force Ignore, but you can still bypass it. Not sure what to suggest apart from "please don't".

19. electroTelegram

electroTelegram Well-Known Member

if one person really doesnt want a mutual ignore and the other person does, what happens? who's feelings take priority?

20. seebs

So the short answer, and the general one to just about all forum stuff is, "we'll have to look at individual cases". General policies suck.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice