Mutual ignore software feature, AKA Yet Another Policy Discussion

Discussion in 'The Undercity' started by seebs, Mar 16, 2017.

1. swirlingflight

swirlingflight inane analysis and story spinning is my passion

It's nice to have control over what I see and hear. I have much more control here, in the forum I visit for fun and socializing, than in reality, where bosses or parents may guilt trip or financially threaten me to comply with their wishes when they want regardless of my wellbeing.

I use the ignore function as a way of making some content come at a delay. So that I can check if my ability and willingness to handle certain kinds of stress are up to it. There's nobody on the forum I always have ignored. But there's a number of people I occasionally toggle to ignored, to give myself that delay of exposure and the option whether or not to read it. Scrolling past is not as effective.

(eta added a couple clarifying words)

Last edited: Mar 19, 2017
    • Like x 7
  2. palindromordnilap

palindromordnilap Well-Known Member

@cryptoThelematrix: the ignore function already removes quotes from the person you ignore in other people's posts, btw.

• Like x 1
  3. LadyNighteyes

LadyNighteyes Wicked Witch of the Radiant Historia Fandom

Yeah, I was about to say, it doesn't hide quotes for you?

4. seebs

seebs Benevolent Dictator

I think the quoted stuff will still show up with "show ignored content" but I'm not totally sure.

5. LadyNighteyes

LadyNighteyes Wicked Witch of the Radiant Historia Fandom

Yeah, it does.

6. furrylatula

furrylatula a pissed off homestuck girl

and thats your prerogative but not being able to understand whats going on is distressing as hell to me, even more than seeing Bad Posts

Last edited: Mar 21, 2017
    • Like x 5
  7. seebs

seebs Benevolent Dictator

I'll see if I can find/fix that one too. EDIT: May now be changed. (Note, this would only affect people in the user group that has ignore-bypass disabled.)

Last edited: Mar 19, 2017
    • Like x 1
  8. Silver Sheep

Silver Sheep IIIIIIIIIIIIIII

In my particular case, the person I have ignored isn't someone I've had any fights with and I don't think they even know I'm ignoring them, they just post occasionally in a couple of threads I read and their opinions and way of presenting them grate on me like sandpaper. I put them on ignore because if I didn't I was going to end up attacking them over something minor just because I was SO MAD. But! sometimes they're part of a conversation I want to see/have the proper context for. If I know that when I click to show ignored content it's going to be a sandpaper post, I can prepare myself mentally and it's not a problem, and I'm not being hit by them unexpectedly.

I can appreciate that for some people, being able to bypass ignore would be dangerous, but speaking for me -- I only put this person on ignore because I knew I could get past it easily. If I couldn't, I wouldn't have ignored them at all, and I would probably have had a pretty vicious fight with them by now.

• Like x 6
  9. cleverThylacine

cleverThylacine cuddles for the weird and the fierce

I haven't seen any lately so maybe it does now.

10. Maya

Maya smug_anime_girl.jpg

I think you have me in that disabled group? (I still see the "there is no post here" message so I assume I am. Also thanks, my impulse control is dying but thanks, I needed it) Anyway, if so, I still see quotes of ignored people, just not their actual posts.

• Like x 1
  11. IvyLB

IvyLB Hardcore Vigilante Gay Chicken Facilitator

@seebs I think it would probably be good if you actually told people who you put on their ignore list by force and why, given this outburst?

• Like x 5
  12. palindromordnilap

I would like to congratulate @seebs on finding a software way to enforce the Wiwaxia Forum Safety Protocolâ„¢.

13. KingStarscream

KingStarscream watch_dogs walking advertisement

Having the ability to see and respond to a victim of your attacks removed is not the same as an organized shun campaign. Please don't act as if it is.

• Like x 17
  14. palindromordnilap

It is functionally completely possible to force-ignore+add to can't-see-ignored-posts-list a specific member for everyone on the forum and there's no way they'll ever know.

15. ASPD Anon

ASPD Anon Vagitarian

Can mutual ignore extend to cover subaccounts and likes too, please? I already sent @seebs and @Xavius a PM about this, so I'm just double posting at this point.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Buuuut this feels pretty hostile to me.

• Like x 2
  16. BlackholeKG

BlackholeKG I saw you making fire

Hello, I've just walked into this discussion without much of the specific context, but can I confirm that I won't be blocked from seeing posts by other users unless I request it? I would be very perturbed if I discovered that I had lost the ability to see content at another user's discretion, mod or otherwise.

• Like x 1
  17. BlackholeKG

BlackholeKG I saw you making fire

Unless, like, I was actively harming them somehow idk. But then I don't think that would be relevant

I feel like I should have read the prelude to this

18. IvyLB

IvyLB Hardcore Vigilante Gay Chicken Facilitator

Right and as far as anyone can tell this is not happening at all right now. It is kind of unfortunate that seebs didn't TELL you they force-added people to your ignore list but there were probably reasons for it and you are currently acting like you are trying to make your upset at seebs everyone else's problem.

• Like x 8
  19. Petra

Petra space case

Hey Palin: sometimes people are going to not want to interact with you after you tell them to kill themselves. Them putting you on ignore (and seebs using the mutual ignore feature) isn't an organized group shun.

• Like x 13
  20. Petra

Petra space case

Like, there are people you consistantly react badly to, and react badly in this case means you go the fuck off on them. As a consequence of this, Seebs has now set things up so you are on mutual ignore, and have to choose to see each individual post of theirs. Correct? So you're not actually getting locked out of content. So why are you mad? Because they don't have to see your responses if you yell at them?

• Like x 8
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice