Mutual ignore software feature, AKA Yet Another Policy Discussion

Discussion in 'The Undercity' started by seebs, Mar 16, 2017.

1. BlackholeKG

BlackholeKG I saw you making fire

(Real question though: I have questions about how the mod-enforced nonnegotiable mutual-ignore is being applied in this instance. I'm not saying it's a bad thing, but I am surprised that there is a mod-enforced mandatory (non-self-chosen) measure being put in place when in the past things like that have been strongly ruled out by the administration. It's sort of like a ban, but only with respect to particular people's content. So what changed in order to make this be seen as an option that is viable? Or am I missing an aspect of this?)

Last edited: Mar 20, 2017
    • Like x 2
  2. An Actual Bird

An Actual Bird neverthelass, Brid persisted, ate third baggel

(It was kind of a whole Thing. Mods are being more proactive in moderation because the old hands-off method wasn't working so great.)

• Like x 3
  3. palindromordnilap

palindromordnilap Well-Known Member

There was a message that didn't go through mod queue, it was important, and I don't remember what it was. Fuck.

4. Morven

Morven In darkness be the sound and light

It seems that no message gets through to you, either, so I guess it fits. Let it alone. Stop picking at the wound. Stop trying to start things up again.

Gotta say you are really set and determined to make everyone here hates you before you're done?

• Like x 11
  5. BlackholeKG

Also, under what conditions would such a consequence be imposed, broadly? At the mods discretion, yes, and if the other users in question are amenable, presumably, but are there specific offenses? Is this a rule-punishment now? Or else when would it be judged that the consequence as a harm-prevention measure should be imposed - are there any guidelines for that or would it be as-and-when? And is it a last resort or something that'd happen more commonly?

6. KingStarscream

KingStarscream watch_dogs walking advertisement

What changed is that a significant number of people made a reasonable case that in this instance, some degree of forced moderation is going to be necessary for the health of the forum as a whole. There were several explosions (given your mental health history, I'd say it's probably not worth really looking up the specific context? things got seriously heated) but the general jist was that in extreme circumstances like severely distressing trolls from the politics subforum or users who've suicide bait, it is healthier for both the users under moderation and the rest of the forum to have stricter controls. This doesn't mean that things like 'bans' are going to become common, but it does mean that sometimes admin level controls are going to be used for things where they wouldn't have been before.

That's partially why the charter+One Rule are being worked on-- there's still an intent for hands-off rulesetting and hard lines, but sometimes specific checks and balances will need to be in place for everyone involved.

• Like x 10
  7. unknownanonymous

unknownanonymous i am inimitable, i am an original|18+

this happened
    IMG_1068.PNG IMG_1069.PNG

Last edited: Mar 20, 2017
    • Like x 4
  8. swirlingflight

swirlingflight inane analysis and story spinning is my passion

Today's exciting scientific experiment: can eye-rolling be a viable source for alternative energy???

• Like x 11
  9. BlackholeKG

I saw a Thing in TCHGB but can somebody tell me if this means that Anonymous is on moderation of some sort now because they're the most consistent eye-roll on this site.

(Also UA those screenshots are really huge)

• Like x 3
  10. leo

leo Well-Known Member

Alix, I just want to be left alone. Khan and Vivec and Maya want to be left alone. Why can't you do that? Is there a reason?

We're not asking for the moon here. Please.

• Like x 10
  11. LadyNighteyes

LadyNighteyes Wicked Witch of the Radiant Historia Fandom

Yes, they're on moderation now.

• Like x 1
  12. unknownanonymous

unknownanonymous i am inimitable, i am an original|18+

yep, it does

(i'll put them under a spoiler)

13. BlackholeKG

Thank God. At least Alix is explicable but out own little segment of 4chan was a real "the fuck why are you even here my dude"

• Like x 3
  14. LadyNighteyes

LadyNighteyes Wicked Witch of the Radiant Historia Fandom

Apparently the mod team didn't know about them, because they didn't show up much, deleted the posts, and people didn't report the posts. (They had post edit and delete permissions taken away, too.)

• Like x 4
  15. ASPD Anon

ASPD Anon Vagitarian

It occurs to me: the sole motivation for a likespam cannot have been missing out on content. Maybe that was the majority of it, but the reasonable reaction to missing out on content is quietly catching up on what you've missed, not going around and spamming your former victims.

There's something else at play here, or Alix would have read the posts without liking them.

• Like x 11
  16. leo

leo Well-Known Member

( head in hands )

sorry for predicting what you're going to say, but alix, i know you've had a problem with not understanding what people don't want you to do. i can make a list.

17. Paradigm Shift

Paradigm Shift Sleepy Girl Wants Love

You can like ignored posts without Showing Ignored Content. I'd imagine on Force Ignore you don't need to have Ignored Content showing in order to use Likes. It's probably an oversight in the programming of Ignored Content that nobody noticed because no one else abused it until now.

• Like x 2
  18. palindromordnilap

I mean, sure, why not?

19. palindromordnilap

Yup. "This is useless because I can still see all your posts, it just takes a bit more effort."

20. seebs

seebs Benevolent Dictator

It's not a punishment, it's an attempt to address the case of "User A panics when they get interactions from User B, User B can't refrain from interacting with User A".

• Like x 3
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice