My flatmate's dog is somewhat neglected

Discussion in 'General Advice' started by theambernerd, Aug 1, 2017.

1. theambernerd

theambernerd dead to all sense of shame

Hi! I moved into a new place a month ago; 5 people living in a house together, good amount of space, but one of them owns a 1 1/2 year old golden doodle that I've come to realize she neglects a bit. He always gets fed twice a day and is a good weight, but I've refilled his water dish from being completely empty several times, and I've only seen her for sure take him on a walk once so far. He has toys, but not many, and lots of them get destroyed almost immediately. She's out of the house almost all day every day as far as I can tell.

So basically I'm just looking for advice on how to help the dog? I'm starting to keep an eye on his water dish and working on remembering to let him out and let him back in more often, but any other advice on how to manage this would be great..

Eta: oh! Dog training advice would also be great. I've never lived with a dog before and he's not the best trained.. Main problem is jumping, though chewing on inappropriate things is also a problem. And I want to try and start bringing him on walks myself when I can so that could open new bad behavior possibilities

Last edited: Aug 1, 2017
  2. Chiomi

Chiomi Master of Disaster

Ask her about walks - just the idea that someone else is noticing might improve her behavior, or she'll help with stuff. For walks, a harness is going to be more secure than just a collar, and bad behavior will tend to chill on all fronts if you exhaust the dog adequately. But adequate water + exercise should help a ton, as well as stimulus.

Golden doodles can be incredibly smart, which can make them really easily trainable. A firm-but-not-shouted 'no' should help with things, plus pushing him away or down when he jumps. Treats and training should help with inappropriate chewing, or puzzle toys. Also hand signals can be helpful - they give the dog a visual cue that yes you are talking to them and they should pay attention.

• Agree x 1
    • Useful x 1
  3. Toaster

Toaster Active Member

For jumping, specifically, if she's jumping to get attention or because she's excited, what I did with my dog might work! Mine jumped up to lick excitedly, which was a Problem for a lot of reasons (she's a fairly large dog), so whenever she jumped, we stepped away, turned our backs, and ignored her. However, any time she sat nearby, we rushed to pet and cuddle her. She's a smart dog and learned very fast to sit in front of us to request attention (sitting got her the attention she wanted, and in front of us meant we saw it right away) instead of jumping.

I don't know exactly why your roommate's dog jumps, but if it's for attention, teaching her a new way to request it might work! It would work best if you can get the household in on it, though.

• Agree x 1
  4. theambernerd

theambernerd dead to all sense of shame

Yeah it's mostly attention and excitement jumping, we've been starting to do the turn away thing and it seems to be helping! Hopefully it helps with new people too- he becomes a jumping machine around new people

• Like x 1
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice