My housemate is a jerk

Discussion in 'General Advice' started by Emma, Apr 16, 2015.

1. Emma

Emma Your resident resident

Seriously.

Background: I live in a student house that has communal cooking, and if it's your turn to cook you have to have dinner done by a certain time (18.30 MTh, 18.00 TuW). So tonight starts of by him not having dinner done on time. This comes after we had a conversation with all the housemates last week about the rules. I specifically requested that I *need* dinner done on time. I really, really *need* dinner to be done on time. So dinner was twenty minutes late. I was already feeling crappy, so I wasn't talking much.

And then towards the end of dinner, when I was clearing my plate and was standing by the sink he starts in with: 'You know, I was once told that when a girl wears matching underwear on a date, you weren't the one who decided to have sex.' I listened to the entire conversation a little longer, and then I said: 'You know that some girls wear matching underwear just to feel good themselves without thinking about what men want, right?'
    After which he shouted: 'GOOD GOD NOT EVERYTHING IS ABOUT SEXISM! A CHICK TOLD ME THIS' and stormed out of the kitchen.

He's such a gigantic jerk.

2. Morven

Morven In darkness be the sound and light

Does he understand why you need dinner done on time? After all, most of us have some tolerable variation in it, and for me 20 minutes off the estimated time wouldn't be a big deal.

Though in general I hate communal anything; it's always prime territory to fight over things, because different people have different definitions of "normal" and they clash.

Not everything is about sexism, but making blanket generalizations about women is most certainly about sexism, dude. Nice way of confirming your opinion of him.

3. ZeroEsper

ZeroEsper Well-Known Member

How much longer are you housemates with this person?

4. Emma

Emma Your resident resident

@Morven: He does. At least, I am pretty sure I have told him before. It's an autism thing, where I need people to stick to the rules. Like, dinner time is 18.00/18.30 and we've all agreed. There are rules that I can be flexible on, but the dinner one is definitely not one of them. Also, he should understand, since this is a house filled with autistics.

@ZeroEsper: Not very much longer, fortunately. Only until the end of June.

He's not always this horrible, but tonight was pretty horrible. He's fine as long as we don't really talk about controversial stuff. We've already run into this once with his stance on polyamorous relationships and his stance on abortion. Though those 'debates' I mostly find humorous. Whenever he spouts about those topics, I just think: oh young grasshopper, you have very much to learn. You will mature in time.

5. ZeroEsper

ZeroEsper Well-Known Member

Haha, some people are just like that and the best you can do is be patient. It's too hard to keep arguing with them.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice