Nailpolish!

Discussion in 'General Chatter' started by Codeless, Feb 23, 2015.

1. Codeless

Codeless Cheshire Cat

Since there seem to be several nailpolish nerds on this forum, let´s converge here.

And to start things off, what´s everyone´s favorite brand, if you have one?

2. emythos

emythos Lipstick Hoarding Dragon

The Sally Hansen Miracle Gel stuff is so, so awesome. It's got this nice wide brush and goes on really well. Plus, the colors are great. I have this shimmery black/blue one that is really pretty. I'm going to put a sparkly topcoat over it when I paint my nails next.

3. sicknastyspades

sicknastyspades Most Rad.

Nail polish! :D

My absolute favourite brand is probably ILNP (I'm the anon who told seebs about it! I am ridiculously proud of having told a cool person about a cool thing.), but OPI is probably my favourite for regular everyday wear. I'm also very fond of Manglaze because it hits me right in the demographic.

4. emythos

I think I saw an article on a beauty website that mentioned the manglaze one.
    Should I try to find it?

5. sicknastyspades

The Manglaze website is here if you're interested. The polishes are matte, good in one coat and perfect in two, and dry really ridiculously fast. The downside is that they wear off the tips of my nails really quickly, but I live a super employed-to-peel-stickers-off-of-things lifestyle so maybe that will be less of a concern for other people.

6. emythos

Eh, that's what top coats are for. I peel off my nail polish when I stress out, so it'll probably last the same amount of time other nail polishes do (aka two days at best.)
    And now I'm going to spend the rest of the staring at nail polish and wishing I had spare money. Alas, I am a broke college student.

7. seebs

seebs Benevolent Dictator

Drop support@ilnp a line and tell them you're the one who sent me, and I betcha they'd give you a coupon or something. I do not exaggerate or use hyperbole when I say that I bought one of everything from them.

I haven't figured out what's up with gel. The nice sales clerk at the sally beauty store said you can just ignore the special stuff and treat gel polishes like ordinary polishes, but then they don't last longer or anything.

My experiences so far: I don't think I've been particularly unhappy with anything, but I've been particularly happy with some of the Orly glittery stuff, and actually super happy with a pair of Revlon things (the holographic pearls and matte pearl glaze, even though I put the matte glaze under a topcoat anyway). I have been pretty happy with both Essie "good to go" and Seche Vite for topcoats.

And the ILNP stuff is just fucking amazing. I am sooo happy with my iridescent nails. What I really really want is basically the iridescent finish you sometimes see on cars that does a whole rainbow, but I am not at all sure that's technically feasible.

• Like x 1
  8. Codeless

Codeless Cheshire Cat

I have a gel-like top and base coat by Catrice, and what it does for me is make my nailpolsh...rubbery, for lack of a better word. Instead of chipping, it peels off on large strips, which is great for removal and fidgeting.

9. emythos

"What I really really want is basically the iridescent finish you sometimes see on cars that does a whole rainbow, but I am not at all sure that's technically feasible."
    (Am I doing the copy paste thing right?)
    This one looks pretty rainbow-y.
    http://superblacklacquers.com/collections/holographic/products/switch
    Edit: How do I do the neat copypaste boxes thing?

Last edited: Feb 23, 2015
  10. wixbloom

wixbloom artcute

I'd stopped wearing nailpolish almost a year ago because it felt like something I was doing for the sake of others, but I recently rediscovered how fun it is and have taken to giving myself pretty manicures. The problem is that if my outfit doesn't coordinate well with the nail polish I get very upset because I'm exceptionally vain, so I realized that to be happy with my manicures I'll have to do them more than once a week.

Talking about brands is kinda moot because I'm Brazilian and don't have access to the stuff you guys talk about, and you certainly don't own half of my modest collection of Impala, Colorama and Risqué polishes ;)

• Like x 1
  11. sicknastyspades

Click the little "Reply" in the bottom-right corner of the post you want to respond to. IDK how you'd roll that if you wanted to respond to multiple posts, but at a guess click Reply for all of them then crown yourself the copypasta king.

12. emythos

So, like this?

13. overpants-anon

overpants-anon Qualified Lurker

That's what I tried earlier, and it worked fine

14. Starcrossedsky

Starcrossedsky Burn and Refine

Slips in - are we going to have a polish share gallery? That seems like a thing that could be cool.

But also hi, I'm going to briefly one up everyone because I actually do a lot of work with professional nail acrylics (the powder+liquid combo), though not for my actual nails (those just get polish). If anyone remembers the nail polish flowers that weft around tumblr a few months back... Yeah, craft people is me.

15. seebs

seebs Benevolent Dictator

I think there's an option for whether or not to let you quote many posts across several pages of a thread at once, but I think it's off. But a quick "reply" click works for the obvious stuff.

16. jacktrash

jacktrash spherical sockbox

i'm not a nail polish nerd like seebs (hides the 'bomber shark face and gunmetal rivets' mani i spent like three hours doing SHUT UP I WAS JUST KEEPING SEEBS COMPANY) but i am posting in this thread solely to say that manglaze link was worth my time solely for the fact that the white is called 'mayonnaise'.

17. Codeless

Codeless Cheshire Cat

Maybe a show of/tutorial post thread, unless someone objects? I mean, twist my arm to make more threads for nailpolish.
    @jacktrash: Yes, of purrs mew were. And you need to share how you made them.

18. Loq

Loq rotating like a rotisserie chicknen

My nailpolish is often of the "corner store clearance bin" variety, so brands generally aren't something I pay attention to :'D I'm perfectly content mixing and matching as long as the colors look right-- i'm more likely to think "oh, I'm running out of that dark sparkly red, I should look for something similar" than "I need another bottle of X Brand's Y Color".

(The one exception to this was a bottle of silvery-purple CQ polish. I love the exact shade it comes out, and I haven't found anything in the same color. Unfortunately, the company that made it went out of business years ago =/)

19. emythos

I totally vote we have a 'show off your nailpolish' thread. I want to see all the colors and everything :D
    Especially tutorials or something, cause my nail polish skill is basically limited to one color and a top coat.

20. sicknastyspades

Thanks a lot, whichever anon told seebs about Nfu Oh. I was hoping maybe I could spend money on something other than nail polish this week, but nooo, mister bigshot anon gotta all up and inform the world of more hella rad rainbow wizardvomit disaster polishes.
    I want ten.

EDIT FROM THE FUTURE: Bleeeargh, all the fun ones are discontinued. My heart weeps but my wallet rejoices.

Last edited: Feb 24, 2015
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice