Naming inanimate objects

Discussion in 'General Chatter' started by vuatson, Apr 1, 2018.

1. vuatson

vuatson [delurks]

What name do you call your car/computer/coffeemaker/other companion object and why?

I'll start: my car is named Calliope because she is green and does her best, my GPS is named Charlene after the darkness monster Charlie from Don't Starve because I was playing a lot of DS when I got it, and my old laptop was named Cal, short for Caliborn, also because it was green (made it much easier to cuss out whenever it experienced problems, which was not infrequently. possibly caliborn is a bad name for something that is supposed to be your friend).

• Like x 2
    • Agree x 1
    • Winner x 1
  2. Acey

Acey hand extended, waiting for a shake

The only one I can really think of is baby laptop, Li'l Lappy, which is both A. an accurate descriptor and B. a Steven Universe reference.

For some reason I kinda fell out of the habit of naming my stuff and I'm not sure why? I used to do it with everything.

• Like x 1
  3. Bunny

Bunny aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa

Laptop is called Edgelord after Reaper cause it is a red and black gaming laptop.

My old laptop was named The Hoard because it was expensive and I was protective like dragon over it.

The scooter I started learning how to drive on is called Fugly Bug

• Like x 3
    • Winner x 2
  4. Deresto

Deresto Foolish Mortal

My laptop is named pinto bean cause it sounded cute at the time, our smart tv is called chubbymaru ( i dont remember why) and my mom used to call her suburban big blue

• Like x 2
    • Winner x 2
  5. Codeless

Codeless Cheshire Cat

My laptop is called Sollux

• Like x 3
    • Winner x 2
  6. aetherGeologist

aetherGeologist Well-Known Member

My current computer is called Pyrope, and my last one was Makara before it lived up to its chumhandle.

• Like x 2
    • Winner x 1
  7. strictly quadrilateral

strictly quadrilateral alive, alive, alive!

my old bike was named skid and my current bike is named wrona.

• Like x 3
    • Winner x 1
  8. cleverThylacine

cleverThylacine cuddles for the weird and the fierce

My computer is named Jim. My other computer is named Fairlight.

My phone is named Coorinna.

• Like x 2
    • Winner x 1
  9. hyrax

hyrax we'll ride 'till the planets collide

my laptop is named Orpheus and my phone is named Eurydice, because i like naming related devices on a theme and i also like mythology. my ipad is named MyPad and my wifi is named MyFi, because the portmanteau was fun to say.

also, i name all my different pieces of weed paraphernalia after wizards.

• Like x 3
    • Winner x 3
  10. ChelG

ChelG Well-Known Member

I don't name inanimate objects because I tend to break them in about five minutes and I don't want to get attached >:(

• Witnessed x 4
  11. Lazarae

Lazarae The tide pod of art

All of my music devices have been Lysanders. Current iPod is Lysander IV.

My computer's name is Bitch. It's a multi reference: my mom had a black widow in a shoebox she'd named Bitch, and the Evil's T.o.Y. song A Girl Named Bitch. Also any electronics owned by me for an extended period of time tend to develop undiagnosable oddities that frequently result in swearing. Just straight up naming her one skips a step. :P (Though it's pretty funny when I'm troubleshooting and have a hand on the tower muttering encouraging things to Bitch.)

The wifi is iPoopt. I claim no responsibility for that one, it's all on my dad.

• Winner x 5
  12. Lysander

Lysander Plague Rat, NS

Squeak!

• Winner x 2
    • Like x 1
    • Agree x 1
  13. Acey

Acey hand extended, waiting for a shake

Oh, I DO name those! My lil bong is named Peridot (I have a gem theme because of course I do), because she is smol and green.

• Winner x 2
  14. Hawkeguy

Hawkeguy struggling to complete this thought

all my computer stuffs are named and i'm so ridiculously attached to them that i refuse to give up on my old laptop (Oyaji) that runs like tar on which i can only access the guest account because all passwords are lost.
    my two portable hard drives are named Harvey and Highwind after kain and cecil from ff4, my sturdy phone is called The Eschalot after the airship from bdff, my tower PC is Ultra Magnus (affectionately shortened to "ulmags") and my current phone is D.O.C. after transformers characters...and then there's my dishwasher, Fred.
    naming stuff is so much FUN.

• Winner x 3
  15. Sethrial MacCoill

Sethrial MacCoill Attempts were made

I had a motorcycle in high school that i called babydoll, until i crashed it and had to have about a third of it rebuilt. Then I called her Roger, because she'd had some work done. I know. It was terrible. But to a sheltered high school brat in 2008 it was the funniest fucking thing in the world.

Last edited: Apr 2, 2018
    • Like x 3
  16. chthonicfatigue

chthonicfatigue Bitten by a radioactive trickster god

Current laptop is called Megaera, iBook before that was Pegasus and then Baldr when I rebuilt it on Linux (then it died completely). My old Fiat was called Heepa (short for Heap a' Shit - bloody thing broke down incessantly). Low-ride Honda bike was Xena (I miss her a lot.) Actually I need to rename the wifi network because we recently switched provider and it's still the standard rubbishy name; I'm thinking of calling her Zygiella after the missing sector orb-web spider.

Oh, and my tablet is kind of unofficially called Spen because I have a reindeer sticker on him and it's the cute way our niece mispronounces Sven.

• Like x 2
    • Winner x 2
  17. Everett

Everett local rats so small, so tiny

My ipod touch is called iPlowed Truck, because i guess i thought that made it seem like a snowplow

I had a couple of previous names, either for this one or my earlier ones. Possibly iPlod Touch or something? Definitely keeping with the punny theme

Edit: my parents had a car before i was born, ir was named Christine after the haunted car book? I think it earned the name by having spooky glitchy headlights

It was one of those cars where the headlights would fold down when the car was off? But it kept folding them down and back down again, then back up, etc... even when they took the battery out, iirc. car, pls

edit edit: i remembered another ipod touch name! ......iProd Tush, as in, i thought terry pratchetts use of "prod buttock" was funny. I forget if tush is slang for anything but ass, but just in case, i'll clarify that i just meant ass lmao

Last edited: Apr 4, 2018
    • Winner x 2
    • Like x 1
  18. vuatson

vuatson [delurks]

I have just decided that my macbook's name is Scratch, because it's white and because I've had to factory reset it twice now because it was freezing immediately after startup.

Clearly I learned nothing about friendly object names from Cal.

• Agree x 3
    • Like x 2
  19. Loq

Loq rotating like a rotisserie chicknen

My car is Knock Out bc he nyooom (he was gonna be Starscream, but Starscream is a plane name not a car name)
    My first laptop was Arcturus so the desktop is now Kerrigan

• Winner x 4
    • Like x 3
  20. Everett

Everett local rats so small, so tiny

Aaaand i remembered like a week ago that my laptop is officially named Norvegicus, after the norway rat

• Like x 2
    • Winner x 2
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice