nanananananana BAT-THREAD!

Discussion in 'Fan Town' started by Birdy, Apr 6, 2017.

1. Birdy

Birdy so long

Here is a thread for all things Batman and Batfamily, because there is apparently some interest and I am currently in Special Interest Hell.

(other dc stuff can go here too i guess whatever)

• Like x 5
    • Winner x 1
  2. Aondeug

Aondeug Cringe Annoying Ass Female Lobster

cass is the best

• Like x 2
    • Agree x 2
  3. swirlingflight

swirlingflight inane analysis and story spinning is my passion

Good thread title

• Agree x 3
    • Like x 1
  4. Birdy

Birdy so long

*bangs on table and yells at current canon*

CASS BATGIRL OR RIOT

• Like x 1
  5. Jean

Jean Let’s stop procrastinating -- tomorrow!

I've only just started reading about her, but I can already tell she's awesome.

6. Birdy

Birdy so long

my favorite (meta) thing about her is how easy she could've come off one-note and silly but her character was handled deftly and with actual good writing

• Agree x 1
  7. Birdy

Birdy so long

Tim "good luck I'm behind 7 proxies" Drake

• Like x 3
    • Agree x 1
  8. Jean

I'm rereading Red Robin, and I have gotten to the point where the art style suddenly changes, so his hair goes from 'distressed dandelion' to fabulous, and I find it several degrees funnier than it probably actually is.

Also I love Pru, she's wonderful.

• Like x 3
  9. KarrinBlue

KarrinBlue Magical Girl Intern

OH GOOD WE HAVE A THREAD FINALLY

i've been in rehearsals for eternity three weeks and between cues I've been reading Batman stuff. I love everyone, and Bruce needs to accept that he deals with life's difficulties by adopting children and be the goddamn Batdad.

cass is delightful, i want her to get Many Hugs, and I want Tiger King of Kandahar to kiss Nightwing on the face.

(also, has anyone read Robin Son of Batman because i'm unduly fond of Maya and Suren and they need to be in more stuff, i have no end of headcanons and fic bunnies about them.)

(also also, i'm delighted that Damian inherited his dad's tendency to pick up strays, except he's got animals instead of orphans.)

• Like x 2
  10. Birdy

Birdy so long

Batdad is the best Batman. Anyone who says Batman doesn't need a Robin or that the Batfamily is stupid can fuck directly off. LET BRUCE WAYNE HAVE THE SUPPORT SYSTEM HE OBVIOUSLY NEEDS.

• Like x 3
    • Agree x 1
  11. KarrinBlue

YES

also I am in love with the Bombshells batfamily, they're all wonderful, and I would read an entire series exclusively about them.

(I would also read a series entirely about the suicide squad, which also features a batgirl, COINCIDENCE I THINK NOT)

Last edited: Apr 7, 2017
    • Agree x 2
    • Like x 1
  12. Ben

Ben Not entirely unlike a dragon

I'm so happy this thread is titled as it is. thank you all.

~olies out again~

• Like x 1
    • Agree x 1
  13. KarrinBlue

You ollie right back in here and talk about bat feelings

Who is your favorite member of the family?

• Like x 1
  14. Birdy

Birdy so long

my favorite batfam member is the wonderful and deeply problematic jason "don't joke about murder I was murdered once and it offends me" todd

• Like x 6
  15. Jean

Tim! Followed by Cass. I don't know Jason all that well, unfortunately. Outside of fanfiction, anyway, and using fanfic as your main character reference in always a bad idea. So I will hold off on naming him a favorite until I've read some more with him in it. If we were going by fan interpretations he'd definitely be right up there. I mean GOODNESS GRACIOUS I'VE BEEN BAMBOOZLED! How could I not be charmed by that.

Last edited: Apr 7, 2017
    • Like x 1
    • Agree x 1
  16. vegacoyote

vegacoyote dog metaphores and pedanticism

Yeah, I have latched the hell onto Jason Todd for some goddamn reason, despite having read basically none of the canon material. I have no idea how much woobification or Draco-in-Leather-Pants is going on there.

It is kind of fun trying to figure out canon characterization by way of fanfic triangulation, but since I like fanon-Jason I'm kinda scared to actually pick up the canon stuff and find out for realsies. (Though as far as as can tell, canon's kind of been all over the damn place as well re: what the hell is up with him anyway.)

(Other reasons I hesitate to pick up the canon material: continuity snarl, typical frustration noises coming from long-term fans, and also the fact that it's kinda fun watching meta-noises and fan arguments happen from just outside of the fandom door.)

• Like x 2
  17. Birdy

Birdy so long

You're not wrong in that his canon characterization is kind of a mess :P

Personally, I think the fandom is unduly quick to excuse the fact that the guy is a murderer, but then, canon has been kind of weird about that also. Something people harp on is the fact that he's got some degree alliance going on with the rest of the Batfam, when you'd expect that Bruce "guns were invented by Satan to victimize me personally" Wayne would not be willing to let Jason shooting to kill slide.

(I think the writers may have gotten bored with writing him constantly fighting with Bats and the other Robins, or they just didn't know what to do with him, and maybe still don't, sadly)

The story of the character is complex and tragic and horrifying, and I can't blame fandom for not being able to encompass it all, especially when it seems like the professional writers are barely able to :P
    But yeah, I feel like some of the stuff you find in the tags is too much on the "poor jason :(((((((" side, and kind of not regarding the part of the character whose response to pain is killing people.

I'mmmmm...not really reading the books myself at the moment, cause the writer on the current Jason book is know for being...poor. So I'm just skirting around the edges of the fandom too :3

• Like x 2
  18. Jean

Huh. I heard that the current rhato was pretty good, in terms of characterization, and that new52 rhato was the one that sucks, but I have read neither of them, so I know nothing. I know that fanfic has made me ship joyfire, but that's fanfic.

Is it legit to rec fan stuff here? Because there's a fancomic called Starfire and the Outlaws which is really really cool looking (the only Roy and Kori I know are teen Titans Roy and Kori, so I don't know how great the characterization is there either); the premise is basically "what if rhato focused on Kori and also didn't suck?" So that's promising.

• Like x 2
  19. Aondeug

Aondeug Cringe Annoying Ass Female Lobster

Rhato offended me deeply and personally. Kori's one of my favorite characters and at least the first good chunk of it was just. Bad. I didn't like it at all. This was new 52 rhato. Not sure how the current one is because it burned me that fucking badly.

A fancomic of the concept focused on kori that isnt shit is of great onterest to me though. Like. You have no idea how much so.

• Like x 1
  20. Jean

• Like x 1
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice