Need help talking about hearing loss

Discussion in 'General Advice' started by Ben, Jun 14, 2015.

1. Ben

Ben Not entirely unlike a dragon

So, I'm on a tricyclic antidepressant, and I'm pretty sure it's caused me to have hearing loss from things that really should have been too quiet to cause that - the ringing in my ears went from 'sometimes I think there are crickets at night when I'm wearing earplugs' to 'constant excruciatingly annoying noise.' In fact, I saw a movie last night and now it's so loud I can't sleep :(
    Based on that and some other side effects, I think I should really switch the drug I'm on... but since I'm not at college anymore, that means I'd have to go to a third-party psychiatrist, and also I can't drive. My family has very good insurance, but they'd seriously question me going to the doc without asking first.

My problem is, I'm not sure how to talk to my mom about it because my parents treat a lot of health issues like hearing loss/weight gain/MY depression* like they're personal/moral failings. I don't think it's a good idea for me to give up on better living through chemistry right now, especially since my home situation is really stressful*, but I do want to seek out a change in meds. Advice on how to frame it?

For various reasons, my mom (no longer licensed, but was a psychologist) is unwilling to believe that I, personally, have depression of a type that really doesn't seem to respond to therapy, probably because I actually already know most of the techniques they can teach you for dealing with it and those already didn't work. She also has an anxiety disorder of her own and has been depressed before, and she tends to amp up my distress and anxiety.
    Um. There's more, but it doesn't really belong here.

2. ZeroEsper

ZeroEsper Well-Known Member

Do you think you could frame it as the hearing loss first? Like, don't bring up the meds, just bring up that you've been having trouble with your hearing. Have them react however they will, wait a while, and bring it up again. Mention the second time that 'oh, you know what? I remember something now. I had changed something before this all started happening. It actually started around the times I started taking my meds.' If they're initially disbelieving/tell you to 'find a way to deal with it', keep bringing it up. When you can't sleep, you might want to let them know. 'Oh, yeah, it is late, I do want to be asleep, but the ringing in my ears is soooo loud. It kinda hurts, too.' Keep going with that and pressing to see a psychiatrist, NOT THE FAMILY DOCTOR. I don't recommend going to a family doctor to get psychotropic medication unless it's an absolute emergency or there is literally no other way. There are a lot of reasons for them, namely that family doctors are more likely to give you bad doses because they don't see you often enough to know how you're gonna react.

3. Ink

Ink Well-Known Member

The thing about hearing loss is that it is measurable. Would you be able to maybe start with your family doctor and arrange for a hearing test? It might be something that could be done right in the office. Would your family be cool with you making your own decision to go to your family doctor?

• Like x 1
  4. Ben

Ben Not entirely unlike a dragon

Thank you guys. She took it relatively well; I actually had an appointment with a neurologist that I'd forgotten about, and it turns out the hearing loss was from.....
    earwax

• Like x 3
  5. pixels

pixels hiatus / only back to vent

ooh shit thanks for reminding me that i need to get my ears flushed asap. weird sensation but it's like you're hearing in dolby 5.1 after monaural.

• Like x 1
  6. Ink

Ink Well-Known Member

Whew. That's a relief.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice