Night Ride Home

Discussion in 'Swords Across the Styx' started by Zin, Sep 3, 2016.

1. Zin

Zin Professional Lurker

Once in a while
    In a big blue moon
    There comes a night like this
    Like some surrealist
    Invented this fourth of July
    Night ride home

Hula girls
    And caterpillar tractors in the sand
    The ukulele man
    The fireworks
    This 4th of July
    Night ride home

I love the man beside me
    We love the open road
    No phones till Friday
    Far from the overkill
    Far from the overload

Back at the bar
    The band tears down
    But out here in the headlight beams
    The silver power lines
    Gleam
    On this fourth of July
    Night ride home

Round the curve
    And a big dark horse
    Red taillights on his hide
    Is keeping right alongside
    Rev for stride
    Fourth of July
    Night ride home

I love the man beside me
    We love the open road
    No phones till Friday
    Far from the undertow
    Far from the overload

Once in awhile
    In a big blue moon
    There comes a night like this
    Like some surrealist
    Invented this fourth of July
    Night ride home
    Night ride home
    Night ride home
    On a night ride home
    On a night ride home
    Night ride home

- Night Ride Home by Joni Mitchell

2. Martin Reed

Martin Reed Seer-Witch of Heart

It was late at night, shortly after he got out of work, when Martin heard sirens careening past him in the dark on his way home, howling into the night, heralding some terrible scene. He'd continued to walk, until he glanced back and saw the smoke was close, so close.

Close enough that it looked like it may be coming from one of many familiar haunts in the area.

It was easy to scale a nearby wall and start moving from rooftop to rooftop, scrambling quickly.

He recognizes it from a distance, and slows. He's been here, stayed here overnight, can pick out exactly which apartment it is that the fires are coming from, and feels his stomach drop to his feet, guts cold.

It's... it's rapidly becoming gutted by fire, and he finds himself running towards the apartment complex with emergency services swarming the scene, yelling loud "'s he okay?! M' frien' lives 'ere, 's he out-"

3. albedo

albedo metasperg

"Kid, you can't-- Hey--!" A police officer grabs his shoulders, trying to hold him back. "You can't go in there, it's not safe."

4. Martin Reed

Martin's head turns, gray eyes wide. "H-hey, I'm. I'm not a kid!" He flinches at the contact, trying to pull away. "I-That's my friend's apartment-"

5. albedo

albedo metasperg

"... shit. Do you have a name, some contact information? We're trying to reach someone, but we haven't gotten there yet." He's holding on pretty tight, trying to keep Martin from bolting. "The firefighters are doing their best, don't worry. They'll do everything that can be done in there."

6. Martin Reed

"I. Y-yeah. Ben. Benjamin Halverson. 25 years old. Uhm-" He tries to pull away, a little nervously, expression panicked and eyes roaming. "I... I have his phone number? He. He's a programmer, he works from home-"

7. albedo

albedo metasperg

"... That'd be good. I..." Looking at Martin, trying to size him up. "He'd usually be home at this hour?"

8. Martin Reed

".....y... yeah. I... Sometimes he goes out, but-" The words hang in the air, and he clutches at his shirt.

9. albedo

albedo metasperg

... sighing deeply. "... come sit down, alright?"

10. Martin Reed

"C...can you let go. I... I'll sit down." Martin hugs his arms to his chest.

11. albedo

albedo metasperg

"... sorry, ki-- ..." Sighing. It's heavy work sometimes. "I'm sorry. Alright." Leading him somewhere a little quieter to sit down. "... There was a body in there. We can't prove it was him, but... It's looking pretty likely, right now. We're trying to find his next of kin."

12. Martin Reed

"...I. I dunno. He.... never talked about his family? I.. he has a sister, but I don't think they're talking right now?" He chews his lower lip, following the police officer and sitting down, shoulders hunched.

13. albedo

albedo metasperg

"... do you have any way to get in contact with her?"

14. Martin Reed

"I... I don't know. I... unless she's married... maybe... maybe she's in the internet? I. Her name's... H..hannah?"

15. albedo

albedo metasperg

"... alright. Yeah. I'll pass that on." He takes out his phone, making a note. "... do you know anything else that might help? Did he have any enemies, or anything like that?"

16. Martin Reed

Martin shakes his head, slowly. "N... no. I mean. He almost never left the house. He's... what. Uhm. He's got the thing. Where you're afraid of being outside? But. But he has to go out, because he has to get food-"

He trails off, clutching his shirt as earlier words hit home.

".........there. There was a...."

"You said they. They found."

His voice trails off into a choked noise of distress.

17. albedo

albedo metasperg

"... shit," the cop says softly. "Alright. Hey... hey, it's... I know it's hard. Stay with me, alright?"

18. Martin Reed

Martin hiccups, shoulders starting to heave with sobs. "Oh god."

19. albedo

albedo metasperg

"... I know. I know..." He hesitates. "... I've lost a few friends, too. But... Maybe you can help make things right, for him. For his memory. Just stay with me..."

20. Martin Reed

Martin nods, eyes still dry even as sobs choke his throat. "I. Y. Okay. I. I'm. Fuck."

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice