Noise Has Size

Discussion in 'Braaaaiiiinnnns...' started by wes scripserat, May 14, 2015.

1. wes scripserat

wes scripserat Hephaestus

I'm going to try to explain properly this,
    My words have jumbled themselves (possibly from no sleep? or maybe i'm just faking, that's what my brain says)

but

so i was talking with a friend and I used the phrase "high temperature" instead of "high volume" when complaining about noise.

And for me both of those words are Sizes. And sound has Size.

There are big noises, crowds, and stuff. Big noises often wig me the fuck out.

Then there are small noises, like, talking to john the phone, or irl. or my keyboard, or pinging of a google chat.

I can often handle big noises, but sometimes they get too big. That's what wigs me out.

That's what gets me merping to myself, or flinging my hands, or wanting to hug a friend. or swinging.

because the big noise drowns out, so i have to find other noises to make the big noise shut the fuck up.

my mom has said, "don't do [thing], it makes you look autistic"
    but if i am.

does that mean that suddenly my weird words and lack of wanting noise all the time makes more sense?

who knows.

not sure why I'm posting this here instead of tumblr.

• Like x 1
  2. Codeless

Codeless Cheshire Cat

Noise definitelya has sizes. For example, large excited crowds make gigantic noises, so do some aircraft. In the smaller space of an apartment vacuum cleaners make huge scary noises. (I hate vacuum cleaners nearly as much as most cats)

3. albedo

albedo metasperg

Noise definitely has sizes. For me, it's more too many noises than too much that's upsetting. Crowds, or street noise, or anything where there are lots of things happening, and there's nowhere to get away from them or predict them. I have trouble ignoring noises, so it's like constantly being tapped on the shoulder. Constantly. Until the noise goes away. My first year in college dorms on a busy street was miserable.

Particularly loud noises like vacuum cleaners and lawnmowers and loud voices are really upsetting too, though. I still can't run vacuum cleaners unless I absolutely have to.

It's all fine if I'm in control of the noise and can make it stop when I want to, though. :P I actually like songs that consist entirely of drill noises, banging pots and pans, and screaming. But I can turn them off or turn down the volume whenever I want, so it's soothing and pleasant.

Brains. Brains are weird.

• Like x 1
  4. Aya

Aya words words words

I think so, yeah. It's both the level of noise and the number of harmonics that matter, for me. So even if a scream comes out to the same number of decibels as the vacuum cleaner, the scream is not as big. A choir singing from a far off distance is bigger than someone playing a violin closer to me.

The last time someone made me run a lawnmower, my ears actually hurt from the sound.

• Like x 1
  5. Elph

Elph capuchin hacker fucker

Makes sense. For me it's not size so much as closeness. Bad noises, regardless of their actual position in physical space, are synaesthetically close to me, and I don't like it. For some reason, though, my reaction isn't to cover my ears, but to close my eyes.

6. kmoss

kmoss whoops

oh no, that totally makes sense to me. it helps me focus on blocking it out or something when I close my eyes.
    (same thing with untying difficult knots, actually. have to close my eyes)

• Like x 1
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice