OC Tournaments - hashing out mechanics

Discussion in 'Make It So' started by mek, May 8, 2016.

1. mek

mek I AM THE LIZARD KING

OC Tournaments are a competition where people have their OCs fight each other, and whichever character makes it to the end is the winner.

You'd be assigned a foe, then construct the battle somehow (usually people make comics depicting it, but there's no reason you can't enter a written work or animation or puppet show or something) while your opponent does the same. The judges decide which version of the battle is better, and that person moves on to the next round.

We could also just do little one-off battles if people wanted, where the characters only fight each other without any kind of overarching tournament storyline. That could also be fun.

Anyway, are people interested in this?

• Like x 5
  2. KingStarscream

KingStarscream watch_dogs walking advertisement

I wasn't very secure in my arting back when these were really all the rage on dA, and I always missed not even trying. I'd be down for at least giving it a shot (I know there was a comic art website once that operated on the one-off battle premise, but I can't remember the name for the life of me. It had a really intimidating points system though.)

• Like x 2
  3. IvyLB

IvyLB Hardcore Vigilante Gay Chicken Facilitator

I am so down, but I can only do writing!

• Like x 1
  4. mek

mek I AM THE LIZARD KING

I'm not sure how we'd handle the judging process, yet, but I'm sure people would be willing to judge written entries fairly

5. TheSeer

TheSeer 37 Bright Visionary Crushes The Doubtful

*is writer* *is totally on board for this cheap excuse to make someone draw an OC of mine*

... hey, do artists get the same urge to see stories about their OCs?

• Like x 1
  6. KingStarscream

Sometimes! I roleplay enough that I can usually write my own, but there are times where I wanna let someone else take the reins and run away with it. It's interesting seeing how writers interpret visual cues and the bits and pieces we let slip, just like it's interesting seeing which descriptions artists lend more weight to when doing fanart.

Also, written fight scenes are rad and I always like seeing those.

7. mek

mek I AM THE LIZARD KING

I am more of a writer than an artist, but I love it when people write my characters or settings

8. blue

blue hightown funk you up

put me down as "interested, if a bit nervous about the thought of actually participating"

• Like x 4
  9. Void

Void on discord. Void#4020

i certainly would be interested in an OC tournament!

• Like x 1
  10. emythos

emythos Lipstick Hoarding Dragon

I don't really feel like I'd be comfortable participating rn, but I'd really like to read/see everyone elses.

• Like x 2
  11. mek

mek I AM THE LIZARD KING

This is enough interest that I'm cool with moving forward.

I'm thinking something like this for the character sheet template:
    tourneytemplate.png

I want to keep it simple and straightforward -- any additional info someone wants to include can always be added to the post. Does anyone have any suggestions for improvement on it?

People who can't or don't want to draw their character for their sheet can ask someone else to do it for them -- I'm willing, if need be.

Idea for general fighting format:
    People can challenge each other to one-on-one fights, or ask to be entered into a kind of randomised draw (so that introverted, anxious, or shy people who don't want to directly challenge someone can still participate). Those people draw/write/etc their character winning a fight against their opponent's character, and post it in the thread. Either we
    • have a panel of impartial judges declare a winner (possibly with actual constructive critiques outlining their decisions) (this would be difficult given the few people who have so far expressed interest, it will be more feasible if we get more people participating)
    • make a poll and have people vote on which entry is the winner

Same general plan for any tournaments that get made, except that we'd do it multiple times.

Any feedback on that?

• Like x 1
  12. mek

mek I AM THE LIZARD KING

Probably add weapons/tools to the abilities box

13. TheSeer

TheSeer 37 Bright Visionary Crushes The Doubtful

Definitely weapons and tools. And I guess that would cover any armor or other useful clothing that you can't see in the picture.

Should we have a space for fighting style, or something like that?

• Like x 1
  14. IvyLB

IvyLB Hardcore Vigilante Gay Chicken Facilitator

Actually I'm only tentatively available for participating rn because I have like zero time left at my disposal

15. winterykite

winterykite Non-newtonian genderfluid

theoretically interested, not sure if time. >>_<<

• Like x 1
  16. Socratease

Socratease Well-Known Member

Intensely interested. I loved reading these back when they were in vogue. I can't draw worth a damn, but I can string sentences together sometimes.

• Like x 1
  17. KingStarscream

I like the idea of the randomized draws and polls. What kind of time frame are we looking at for each round? I know a tournament would have to be more structured, but do we want one-on-ones to be more of "both people work out a deadline that won't be stressful" or do we want to set a hard upper limit of like, three months?

• Like x 1
  18. mek

mek I AM THE LIZARD KING

I think fighting style could probably go in the bio? Or maybe abilities, since it's kind of a skill

We can let the participants decide on a timeframe for one-on-one battles

19. mek

mek I AM THE LIZARD KING

Feel free to enter a character and only join battles when you do have time for it, by the way! We won't have any obligatory quotas to keep participating or anything

• Like x 2
  20. mek

mek I AM THE LIZARD KING

I'm not planning on vetoing anyone's character entries (although might make some suggestions on the off-chance it's needed), but do people suppose there should be a limit on how many characters you can enter? Do people plan on wanting to enter more than, say, three characters at once?

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice