original work

Discussion in 'Make It So' started by hanka, Sep 10, 2016.

1. hanka

hanka the sweetest double agent

sorry if this thread has been made already, @jacktrash do me a favor and merge it with the original if i've done a stupid.

so, the other day i applied for an editorial position, 99% because the head editor is smokin' and i want to hit that. they wanted a writing sample, and she encouraged me to be as weird as possible, so i shat out 3800 words of werewolf road trip murder mystery. enjoy. i accept validation by cash and check.

share your original work!

• Like x 2
  2. jacktrash

jacktrash spherical sockbox

if there is already a thread i don't know of it, so i'm subscribing the hell out of this one. :D

• Like x 1
  3. kmoss

kmoss whoops

Fuck, I laughed so hard at the end of that story, you gotta get the job.

I need to get back into writing now that I'm actually drawing again, but here's a few finished shorts that got technically published i guess, a few years back
    (it's technically because it was this tiny lil Madison based collab that my bro got me into so *shrugs*)

Door With No Handle

Dream

Ice Queen

and then, an unplublished parallel for DWNH, On The Other Side, that I haven't actually shown to anyone, so lemme know, like, whatever

• Like x 1
  4. hanka

THANKS.... the #unoffical canon last name for george is standing bear..... there was a deleted scene where a very annoyed bennett called him 'greg' to annoy him and for the rest of the story george referred to him as bent, ben, benny, and one time junior for no reason other than the fact that george towers over him

- he's sleepy bc it's winter and some fuckin baby man needs babysitting while he's trying to hibernate
    - he's a big hairy tall guy... a bear of a man, if you will
    - FOXy grandpa...... FOX.... wolf....fox....folklore

dream is very beautifully written, ohhhh my god. i had to read it three times. short and punchy, just the way i like it. i liked all of them, tbh, but unfortunately i wouldn't be able to keep my post under A Billion words if i went into detail. but i liked all of them a lot.

when writing quotes, it is general practice not to end them with a period if you're adding a he said or she said or anything like that. rather, you do one of, "These," she said, with a comma and a lowercase letter. i'm pedantic and it's a technical thing but i'm going into editing SOOOO

vote now on your phones: should my next story be about the adventures of Literally Heartless Modern Fantasy Boy and his sister (it's a depression allegory written by me, the girl without depression), or should i write a story about a cat?

5. kmoss

kmoss whoops

Loved the hat, got that :D Oh, god, a bear of a man, that's amazing.

Ahhh feel free to go into detail about how much you liked them, no really, haha. I have to get back into writing, I forget how much I like doing it until I do it.

And also Thank You! re: quotes, I am fucking terrible at keeping grammar laws correct, and i definitely shoot from the hip when I'm writing. and so this means that things like quoting properly gets stylistically left by the wayside. Comma and lowercase. comma and lowercase. ok, now i might remember :D

ooooh i am fascinated by allegories (because i'm a NERD), so i'm voting for that, but secretly i'm voting for both

6. hanka

if you want to use a period, you gotta do it like this:
    if you're gonna do that other thing, you gotta use a comma.
    exclamation points and question marks count as commas for some reason, so there is a lowercase after them. only periods get uppercase and new sentence. that's bold because i'm tired of correcting it and i haven't even started at the new job yet. everyone fucks it up. you're in good company. i fuck it up the first go-round too.

i liked them a lot!! i feel like i missed ice queen's message. i was expecting it to be about, like, Frigid Business Bitch and have a cool twist at the end but i liked the storytelling style all the same. it was fun. the door stories were short and sweet. i feel like you could expand them if you wanted, really go into what's behind that door and play it fast and loose with reality in there.

you've stroked my ego appropriately so you get a sneak preview of the first few lines of my heartless boy thing

he got "sacrificed" by a nasty ex because there are no rules in modern fantasy but the thing he was being sacrificed to only took his heart, so
    instead of being a moderately boring nine-to-fiver with a few passions and feelings, now he's heartless
    He wakes up with the candles burnt to stubs and ash in his hair, feeling rather like a phoenix that would have preferred to stay dead. The untold risk of dating crazy art students, Kevin thinks, is that when they talk about being cult fans of something, sometimes that something is an actual cult.

• Like x 2
  7. kmoss

kmoss whoops

actually, i think i need to get back Into ice queen and figure out wtf, because I wrote it while reading a lot of gaiman graphic novel things, and i think it might have just been trying to get the style more than anything. ...especially since i've never thought it should be in words, but in some sort of bs flowey art style

I just really love writing the door stories, because my college had one of those doors and so the stories came out of my heavily caffeinated sophomore-fear-of-the-unknown. not totally sure where i want to go with them yet, but i feel like a bunch of tangentially-related shorts would be fun. dammit, now i'm actually Thinking about it

eee
    worst ex ever
    elbows on desk, chin in hands, v excited for future installments.

I'm gonna dig up my longer stories tomorrow, wherever they went, and see if I like them enough to show off.

8. hanka

i use the most dangerous writing app to churn out first drafts for editing, because it deletes all your progress if you stop writing and it's great for getting the words out of your head onto the word processor as quickly as possible. also a+ for first-drafts of essays, i like to drop in (cite this) when i say a fact so i remember to go back and don't interrupt my flow.

i'm going to sleep bc my poor roommate should not have to deal with my typing tapping while she sleeps, but tomorrow!!! tomorrow there will be much more heartless kevin. keep me posted on your stuff too!

• Like x 3
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice