NSFW owlet and Dave's worldbuilding bonanza

Discussion in 'Fade To Black [18+]' started by TheOwlet, Apr 22, 2019.

1. TheOwlet

TheOwlet A feathered pillow filled with salt and science

• Like x 2
  2. artistformerlyknownasdave

artistformerlyknownasdave revenge of ricky schrödinger

[​IMG]
    quoting stuff over now >:D

• Winner x 1
  3. artistformerlyknownasdave

• Like x 1
  4. artistformerlyknownasdave

does this go in here technically??? OH WELL
    anyway visually asher's design doesn't need much tweaking, because i'd already changed a lot of the stuff that was recognizable as the source material
    i did change his palette though, from black/lavender/silver to black/teal/gold (which works if bronze/copper is the metal associated with human magic, since the worm orangey colors will slot nicely into his aesthetic)
    i just think teal and gold are nice together skgfsjglkfsgflkfs
    upload_2019-4-22_3-27-42.png

• Winner x 3
    • Like x 1
  5. artistformerlyknownasdave

*quadruple posts*
    do we think aodhan and matt knew of each other before this? i mean i feel like the cult is on matt's radar, but would they have been on his radar enough that matt would've ever stepped in to tell them off or anything
    basically i'm trying to suss out if they're going to look at each other and immediately know who the other one is when they bust into asher's apartment
    i feel like aodhan probably recognizes matt, just because matt is Powerful and Important and Dangerous

also i've been thinking about aodhan's magic so here's some spitballing...i'm thinking that depending on how he casts it, there's like, watery smells. which is mostly cosmetic and doesn't really change how it works, but you know! so like, maybe closing a cut smells like rain, but getting out an infection smells like rotting seaweed washed up on hot sand, etc
    and then practically his magic is easier to use positively on people he knows and likes. so it'll start out taking all his concentration and a lot of time and energy to slow the infection for asher, but gradually get easier as they get closer. and then for himself, since he is still pretty fucking self loathing (believing you're the harbinger of the apocalypse will do that), it's much much easier for him to hurt himself via magic than heal. he's definitely got to Work For It to heal himself beyond minor stuff
    i feel like there should be more Rules because the fae fucking live off of weird and seemingly-arbitrary rules but i'm not sure what yet hm hm hm

6. TheOwlet

Ok sorry for the lateness, i like desperately needed a nap. OK. SO.

I feel like Matt would probably know that there's a cult, but summoning the squiddly ones is like notoriously hard because they're so 'far away' in like metaphysical distance, so he's not worried much about them at all. He absolutely wouldn't know about Aodhan because Like Fuck are the fae telling him that someone's stolen their baby and is now hiding it from them because of the doble shame of 1) humans stole a faeby 2) asking another human for help to get faeby back
    There's usually enough fae around the city otherwise that Aodhan should blend in without pinging Matt's radar overmuch so them seeing other for the first time, from Matt's PoV is gonna be 'who the fuck is this punkass fae and what's he gotta do with this'. Because a fishy fae in the same room as squiddle summoning? That's suspicious as hell.

I LOVE the idea of his magic smelling watery. Magic is often kinda tied to elements in a way and it makes total sense for his to be very water oriented in side effects, too. (see also: Matt's magic going frosty, and him smelling more like slaughter and decomposition the more heavy duty magic he pulls). Also totally behind the idea of tying the utility of his magic to how much personal sympathy he has for someone, that's a lovely touch.

Rules are Good for fae yesss. If you hit upon any, feel free to put it in? In this verse, heavy duty magic virtually always comes with a price tag, and often a pretty hefty ones, and faae can be weird about what sort of price tag they apply so if you can come up with a fucky arbitrary rule and price, plz go all in I live for this.

7. artistformerlyknownasdave

oh no take all the time you need!! i will probably pass the fuck out in a few hours (but WHO KNOWS....)

that totally makes sense, especially since i imagine the cult has been...largely unsuccessful except for faeby-napping and some minor shit, and aodhan has probably been conditioned from A Young Age not to attract attention or make a scene if he has any other option. stealthy fish
    aodhan: *climbs in thru window all stealthy like*
    aodhan: *sees matt*
    aodhan: *screams, falls out of window*
    I MEAN HE PROBABLY WOULDN'T FALL OUT BUT IT ENTERTAINS ME TO THINK ABOUT

i thiiiink...hm. i want whatever his price tag is to have SOMETHING to do with words or wordplay, maybe? i'm not sold on this, but like, maybe he needs lyrics or words "given" by the other person to do magic, and depending on the scale that's going to change. so it might be like
    say asher drops a liquor bottle and gets the kind of cut that's not life threatening, but would normally need stitches. asher could recite the man from nantucket limeric and aodhan would fucking HATE it but it would be enough to do the job. or lily gets a bruise and wants it gone, so she gives him some kind of five dollar word like fungible or onomatopoeia or disestablishmentarianism and he can fix it. for BIG stuff, he needs like...long form poetry or song lyrics or a diary entry, and he'll "eat" it. so whoever offered it forgets that it existed, can't parse it as a thing.

BUT LIKE I SAID I'M NOT TOTALLY SOLD ON THAT ONE

maybe his price is like...feelings. since i imagine he's some kind of nerdy feelings voyeur since he grew up isolated from everyone, including his own people. so a cut would be "lily's homemade mac and cheese is disgusting actually" or a bruise might be something even easier to admit like "the last episode of [tv show] was interesting"
    but something major would require some kind of intimate confession, something really hard to express, maybe something you're in denial to yourself about even

but i dunno about that one either hrmm!!! maybe it should tie into his lifey theme more...it's easy to say "sex magic" there but that's wayyyy more matt's thing than this prude's lol. but something along those lines! animal sacrifice seems a bit on the nose but maybe something tied metaphorically to life
    god what if he just made whoever he was doing stuff for get into fishkeeping

• Winner x 1
  8. TheOwlet

both the word and the feelings confessions idea are super great and i love them?! and i mean, no reason he can't have multiple ways of 'payment' would you like credit or debit for this cut

i mean, sex magic is working for Matt because the symbolic value goes well with his....his-ness but it's also something other people use if they need generalized large amounts of magic but don't wanna go and get someone's goat (literally) so then it's like. orgy time.

and the idea of a life mage/healer who's never done that sort of magic is just cracking me up because Matt's reaction would be just blunt disbelief and maybe eventual 'alright then we gotta teach you because you are being Ineffcient and it makes me want to eat you whole so we need. A Solution. Except of course teaching him that is the opposite of a solution, turns out.

buuut consider: plant magic maybe? something with seeds and sprouts?

• Like x 1
  9. artistformerlyknownasdave

LISTEN HE'S GOT A STICK LODGED SO FAR UP HIS ASS HE'D PROBABLY DIE
    tbh he's also probably not been taught it because i imagine the cultists are lowkey scared of what'd happen if they ever let him like, learn to use the full breadth of his magic (or the truth of how they Acquired random faeby). need ur sacrificial pawns docile
    but once he finds out and gets the "blunt disbelief" reaction he'd totally try it just to spite matt
    ;D

ooh though i like that, maybe planting something and in particular maintaining what was planted? watering it especially because...fish......but any sort of maintenance, watering, weeding, Eating Of Its Fruits, pruning, etc. like tending You didn't plant For Him still helps, but it gets a boost if it's something that was grown and cultivated With Intent To Be His. so like tending to store bought plant<planting something for him<tending to something you planted for him
    i think that'd probably work with any living thing, like, getting a couple hermit crabs or a betta fish or feeding or bathing lily's weird gross naked cat creature. but plants r just much easier because they live in dirt lkslkjfsk
    i think maybe i'll go with like...this is his primary method of payment, and then feelings confessions are his secondary, especially for Big Things because it's easier to get a confession that's emotionally charged enough to pay for it than grow enough plants to do the same

also just for confirmation, if he believes something to be true, even if it's not, that doesn't ping the "no lying" right?

• Like x 2
  10. TheOwlet

Look if Aodhan wants to try that sort of magic, Matt's down for it and you know it. He's terrible like that.

ohhh i lOVE the idea of aodhan just getting this forest of plants dedicated to him. and fish tanks. Just, alive things all over his living space. It's a jungle and Asher has to take care of it. Full time plant parent!

Also yeah if he *thinks* something is true that's covered under the 'not lying' thing. It has to be an active falsehood to trip up the faeness. Haven't yet decided how it would trip him up if he tried... might be painful?
    orrrrrr might maybe reverse some of his magic so that if he's got injuries on himself they reappear?

• Like x 1
  11. artistformerlyknownasdave

aodhan lounging on the couch with his chin in his hands looking Smug As Fuck as asher has to go thru and water all the plants and feed the fish

i was getting worked up over whether or not he's seelie or unseelie but honestly now that i think about it i don't think he can lay claim to either court & if he ever went to the fae he'd probably have to Earn a place in either??? because he was raised so far away from it all and his tendencies come from being raised by humans with an agenda + just doing what instinctively feels good (see: specifically asking for plants and whatnot to power magic rather than something else, since that's Baked In to who he is). as opposed to having any sort of alliance for a court

I STILL WANT TO GIVE HIM MORE WEIRD RULES SFGKLFSKJ
    obviously classic fae shit like if you ever forget or neglect your end of a deal he will be absolutely fucking pissed and react intensely. i think food counts as an offering because food is life-sustaining, but he'll only eat it if at least one part of it comes from the water because he's a picky little bitch. likes it when people grow water plants for him, Doesn't Like desert plants even tho asher is like "sweet low maintenance plant here we go."
    also i'm scrolling thru the wiki for ideas, as you do, and elf locks made me think i love the idea of him getting bored and just....braiding All of matt's hair while he's sleeping. obviously the classic herbs and plants that ward off the fae are Unacceptable trades

as for lying hmm...what if he like, literally choked on his words? i like the idea that it hurts, but mebbe it hurts because his throat closes up and he just physically cannot say the thing without choking

aodhan, looking at matt and asher, both of whom he is absolutely smitten with: I have no feeli--*COUGH* *HACK* *WHEEZE*

• Winner x 2
  12. TheOwlet

• Like x 2
  13. TheOwlet

Now i'm imaging like, asher with fifty Marimos. They're water plants. They're low maintenance. Aodhan just has to accept Marimo Forever as part of his life now

Agree on him not being part of any court, he's like way outside the court politics, which is proooobably what's gonna tip matt off that something ain't right here.
    Because usually they're all like chest deep in politics and aodhan not being that will be very *squint*

Also PLEASE braid Matt's hair, he loves it but doens't admit it.

Literally choking a lie is very very good. That'lk be hella fun to play!

• Winner x 3
  14. artistformerlyknownasdave

upload_2019-4-22_10-6-38.png
    ALSO HERE'S A CONCEPT DOODLE OF LILY
    i think the bat tattoo is a sarcastic mockery of the sparrow tattoos people get on their collarbones, because she's That kind of ass. i feel like she gets her hair braided in the middle of the night too. matt gets it most because he has the most real estate and aodhan likes him best but listen a man gets bored in the middle of the night and there's someone there with perfectly braidable hair, how is he supposed to resist?

ALSO GOD. asher, looking aodhan dead in the eye as he snips a marimo in half: now you have two. you are so fucking welcome.

i'm SO excited for matt trying to suss out what the hell is up with aodhan. the tenseness of their whole initial dynamic is exciting as fuck tbh. aodhan definitely just wants to kidnap asher and book it but that's not going to fly if he's going up against the necromancer of london so it's like FUCK SHIT FUCK FUCK

also god i just realized how reluctant aodhan is going to be to give any of them his name akjfgsklfklsfk

• Winner x 3
  15. TheOwlet

A+++ DESIGN ON LILY

I can already tell that her and Matt will get along and compare tattoos (though i suspect he's gonna have to stop a few people from getting magical tattoos)

all the braiding literally all of it, go wild with them braids and make Matt get up with 5 different kinds at once

Marimo Procreation aka 'I don't have money to buy you another one but I DO have scissors'

Matt meeting Aodhan and having the initial #ohfuckingFAIRIES reaction before realizing that something's way off and now he has to handle this, and the guy with the squiddle cancer on his soul, and his untrained witch sister who's now probably glowing like a particularly tasty beacon to everything. He signed up for none of this but here he is

also: aodhan himself also shining like a glowy tasty beacon of life energy to Matt specifically like 'gdi get a grip on yourself man and stop thinking about climbing the fae OR slitting his throat and bathing in his blood neither of those are appropriate!'

I just. Oh god. Matt won't even have to introduce himself to Aodhan, would he? Just, rock up to the summoning circle all but breathing frosty death and trailed by ghosts because he's already primed to fight the squid squad. There's really no mistaking him for anyone else if you're halfway invested into the magical community in London

alsooooo any ideas on how asher and lily have acquired the text for the summons? Those things aren't exactly mass printed. Or printed at all, because squiddle magic does bad things to printing machines. It also does bad things to scribes, but scribes are generally easier to dismantel and burn than printing machines, especially if you gotta find all the letters first...

• Like x 1
  16. TheOwlet

ADDITIONAL THINK:

since lily and asher are twins... the squiddle soul cancer could theoretically spread to her via some sorta twin-link, or even give her a 'dormant' infection during the initial summon because they're kinda tied together and things go so terribly wrong

• Like x 2
  17. artistformerlyknownasdave

aodhan: *sees matt*
    aodhan:
    [​IMG]

the fact that he Requires asher is probably the only thing keeping him from just straight up going “ALRIGHT MR NECROMANCER IM BOUTTA HEAD OUT” and booking it

him looking supremely edible to matt is /chef kiss very good

i’m thinking mmmmaybe the cult specifically distributed this in an attempt to Cause A Ruckus? deliberately aiming to get it into the hands of a civilian. and lily is an edgelord, so she’s perusing the occult shops in london (i imagine she’s going to school Elsewhere and is just harassing asher while on break) and finds this book that just...calls to her
    and wouldn’t it be so funny to do a summoning? asher would probably convince himself it’s real if she tried hard enough, and getting him freaked out while they’re playing with candles like twelve year olds would he HILARIOUS. and it’s not like the book is that expensive anyway, and detailed props are more likely to sell the ruse!

and then...oopsie, squid cancer

also OOOH THAT’S REALLY FUN SHIT...maybe she gets a slower creep because of the bond but wasn’t directly infected, so she’s in denial about it because It’s Not That Bad, Fix Asher First Or Face My Blade but it is, in fact, that bad

• Winner x 2
  18. TheOwlet

Bonus: would Aodhan have been informed of Matt looks like or just 'his human shaped cloud of necromancy is PROBABLY the guy calling the shots here FUCK FUCK FUCK'

Cult distributing it is good. just, giving it to antiquaries, and there's probably some that looked at the book and went 'naw son' and just quietly burnt it in the chimey with a shitton of hazel and sage but not everyone would know it for bad shit when they see it, that's probably part of the effort of the cult

Lily just one morning gets up and her sclera has turned black, but only in black eye, or she randomly starts crying ink and is just trying to hide it while Matt goes continually more suspicious of her because Something Is Not Right There either, but Asher is tying up a lot of resources because the boy has a big fucking problem RIGHT NOW and Lily has a currently small problem that probably won't squidify her on her spot......

19. artistformerlyknownasdave

i feel like aodhan probably got warned extensively about matt, but the way he recognizes people is probably less about how they Look (all humans look so similar!!!!) and more how they Feel
    so he gets in there and sees matt and feels the fuckoff huge aura of ice and death and necromancy and is just like “OH GOD”

lily, crying ink: This is probably fine? This is fine. It’s cool. Free new look for the concert tonight.

20. TheOwlet

....lily comes out of the bathroom like 'no no this is just eyeliner i'm having a Look going here, don't be stupid Asher/Aodhan/Matt'

I love Matt, in all his 5 foot nothing glory and youthful looks, putting the fear of Him into people.
    though lbr, Matt showing up anywhere in the fuckoff huge death aura is basically just him going 'hello naughty idiots it's murder time' so like, Aodhan's reaction is SO VALID

• Like x 1
    • Agree x 1
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice