Owlet's Embroidery/Sewing Boogaloo

Discussion in 'Make It So' started by TheOwlet, Aug 18, 2018.

1. TheOwlet

TheOwlet A feathered pillow filled with salt and science

I was gifted a plain white shirt skirt so I decided to bling it up via embroidery. Behold the first results of my labour:
    The intended pattern:
    IMG_20180818_190233.jpg

And the first few centimeters of actual embroidery work. I'll get fixing up for gaps in a second run, once I've made my way around it.
    IMG_20180818_201110.jpg

• Winner x 13
    • Like x 1
  2. TheOwlet

Currently have 45cm of border done. here's what i hope it'll look like once the entire thing is done, and a progress shot. The parts where the blue marker is washed off is the part i've finished so far.
    IMG_20180819_224140.jpg
    IMG_20180819_224229.jpg

• Winner x 5
  3. TheOwlet

another 20cm progress, now over half a meter of border is done. I wanna get this skirt finished in time to actually WEAR it this summer still.

4. Codeless

Codeless Cheshire Cat

-cheers u on- if you like to talk while seeing theres a stich and bitch voice chat. And it doesnt have to be in englisch

5. TheOwlet

Thank you! I'm currently at work so no voice chat, instead i'm listening to true crime things while nibbling my way forward. I'm about a third around the hem i think.

• Winner x 1
  6. spockandawe

spockandawe soft and woolen and writhing with curiosity

True crime has worked out GREAT for me as embroidery entertainment. I've used other stuff too, but I keep coming back to true crime as something that keeps me super engaged and interested

• Agree x 3
    • Like x 1
  7. TheOwlet

Called it quits for today and did A Stupid

I was thinking i'd rinse the marker out of the fabric and accidentally took some of the yet-unembroidered marker with it ;_; gonna have to redraw it tomorrow but AUGH for having to fit it into the gaps.

• Witnessed x 2
  8. TheOwlet

HALF OF THE SKIRT IS DONE!!!

If I can keep this speed up I should be done by middle of next week.

• Winner x 5
  9. TheOwlet

I FUCKED UP I FUCKED UP

I thought 50m of silver thread would be enough but i'm about to run the fuck out!!
    Emergency shopping trip on monday in the hope of scoring at least a second spool of this thread ahzcsdvyafhkd i am AN IDIOT.

• Witnessed x 4
  10. TheOwlet

OK so i unspooled the last lenght of thread and we'll see how far i come but it def won't be enough.
    Battle plan now: use up what remains, then spent tomorrow finishing up the gold portion of the pattern.
    Check amazon to see if they can speed-deliver a load of silver thread on monday. If no: desperately scout local craft shops. I got two promising addresses.
    If both fail: order off amazon at normal delivery speed and hope weather next week will be good enough to allow skirt wearing.

11. TheOwlet

Lesson learnt: the voice in your head going 'oh it''ll be plenty' is the crafts-devil talking.

• Agree x 2
    • Useful x 2
    • Witnessed x 1
  12. TheOwlet

All silver thread used up. I have about a 5th left to do i think and i'm So Annoyed that i let mysrlf run out like an absolute idiot.

• Witnessed x 2
  13. TheOwlet

Wooo amazon has the exact brand of thread i've been working with so tgat's a viable venue for sure if the shops come up empty. Might buy some more gold while i'm at it tbh just to be sure/for future projects.

• Winner x 2
  14. TheOwlet

Ok so i've officially finished the gold thread portion. I got plenty of THAT left over now, but I'll still try to acquire a second spool tomorrow so that i can make my way around the skirt again and close unsightly gaps and such in the first round. Though at least once i have the silver bits done it'll be wearable and that's my primary concern.

• Winner x 1
  15. TheOwlet

Ok so I got the new thread. It's a different one than the one i was using because APPARENTLY that one is no longer in production and I just happened to buy up someone's remaining stocks. Yay (fuck this)
    So the new one is thinner but at the same time shinier so the actual effect isn't impacted much and I expect that the second round I wanna do will take care of the thinness that remains and make it more uniform.
    On the plus side, I got 600m of the ne thread so that ain't running out anytime soon.

• Witnessed x 1
  16. spockandawe

Especially with the second round, it shouldn't be very noticeable at all! And even if you're personally able to spot the difference, it's going to be more obvious to you than to anyone who didn't do the embroidery work themselves, and they probably won't notice anything. But god, what a frustrating thing to happen, i HATE when people stop making a product that way :/

• Agree x 3
  17. TheOwlet

So I have like two thread lengths left to do but my wrist has checked out for today is on strike, complete with tiny signs asking for better wages and more massages, so I GUESS I'm finishing it tomorrow.

• Witnessed x 3
  18. TheOwlet

I FINISHED IT!!!
    my wrist still hates me passionately but I finished up the first round on the skirt and just washed out the maker for the pattern and the thing's now set to dry

Holy shit, ten days of wrist breaking work. But. It Exists Now.

• Winner x 5
  19. TheOwlet

Hnnn. I should take a break because wrist but. Embroidery is...fun...
    And i gotta do that second round...

• Agree x 1
  20. spockandawe

It's so hard to put embroidery down at a reasonable point ;-;

• Agree x 1
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice