Paint The Hero Black/Villain Whitewashing Service (Forum Game)

Discussion in 'Fan Town' started by Acey, Mar 3, 2015.

1. Acey

Acey hand extended, waiting for a shake

I love forum games and I came up with one so uh here it is! It's based off two of the Just For Fun sections of TVTropes: Paint The Hero Black (where you take an unambiguously heroic character and paint their personality and actions in a more unsavory light) and Villain Whitewashing Service (the exact opposite--taking an unambiguously villainous character and portraying them in a way that makes them sound good). Both of those are a lot of fun, and I thought it might be fun to turn the idea into a forum game!

Basically, the first person posts a description of a character's story (without specifying the fandom), portraying them in either a positive light (if villainous) or a negative light (if heroic) while keeping their canon actions and personality intact.

After a description has been posted, people have to guess who that character is. Whoever is first to guess correctly (as confirmed by the first person) gets to go next, posting their own description of a different character.

Here's an example, since I'm bad at explaining.

Person 1: A young man suffering from a debilitating mental illness who, at the age of thirteen, murdered his girlfriend while high. He's also partly responsible for the destruction of his home planet, and wrote a virus that cursed all his friends. His demeanor is generally sour, to boot.

Person 2: Sollux Captor from Homestuck.

Person 1: Person 2 is correct!

Person 2: After losing a civil war in which he fought against the forces of order, unity, and civilization, he embarked on a criminal career, hiring lowlifes and corrupting innocents. He doesn't bat an eye at killing government agents or fellow criminals if they annoy him enough, and harbors two known fugitives, one of whom is dangerously insane.

Person 3: Wash from Firefly.

Person 4: Mal from Firefly.

Person 2: Person 4 is correct and gets to go next!

So yeah, basically like that. (I hope this isn't too confusing!)

So...I'll start with a relatively simple one!

---

A young man with a learning disability, doomed to be forever stuck in a teenage mindset, whose sister is tragically murdered. He perseveres despite this setback, becoming an artist to cope with his problems, and finally achieving his lifelong dream.

2. Lissiel

Lissiel Dreaming dead

Caliborn from homestuck?

• Like x 4
  3. wes scripserat

wes scripserat Hephaestus

um...

had no issue manipulating the lives of an entire generation of students to get what he wants, allows emotionally abusive people to teach his students. let a child remain in a neglectful and abusive home, and refused to share critical information that could have saved the world much, much earlier until it was almost too late.

and

has a sincere (if misguided) belief in the purity of his own race, loves his son and wife very much. escaped prison to see them.

(not very good ones, i am aware)

4. Acey

@Lissiel: Yup!

@wes scripserat: Not sure about the second one, but for the first one, Dumbledore from Harry Potter?

5. Lissiel

Lissiel Dreaming dead

After being abused as a test subject since he was a child, going to war, and being betrayed by his former subordinates, this guy finally meets his beloved mother and fights his former captors to win both his own freedom and hers.

6. swirlingflight

swirlingflight inane analysis and story spinning is my passion

sounds like lucius malfoy

aaaand hi sephiroth

• Like x 1
  7. Lissiel

Lissiel Dreaming dead

Ding ding! Sephiroth it is!

8. wes scripserat

correct!

and to @swirlingflight, you are also correct.

9. Acey

Okay, I've got one:

A bumbling, often inconsiderate manchild working for a very shady man, who even went so far as to throw his ex-girlfriend into an oven.

10. Petra

Petra space case

This dangerous and mentally unstable young woman was raised in an isolated compound and has incredible abilities far beyond anyone else of her world. She uses said abilities to take down those fighting for equal rights and hound the leader of an already fractured country, fracturing it further and leveling a city in the process.

11. unknownanonymous

unknownanonymous i am inimitable, i am an original|18+

Korra, amiright?

12. Petra

Petra space case

You're right! I wasn't very subtle, but I wanted to see how badly I could describe her.

13. unknownanonymous

that and in my mini-sjw phase, i archive binged on a poc-focused sjw blog that was very critical of korra and her privilege
    so i know the Ron the Death Eater version of korra pretty well

14. Petra

Petra space case

Of course Korra was a privileged shit at first, she was raised in an isolated compound with no real world experience and knew she was the avatar from a young age - without really comceptualizing the dangers and responsibilities that meant. She develops. As all good characters do.

...haha, sorry, I literally just binged the show in the past month or so and am in love with it.

• Like x 1
  15. unknownanonymous

yep. but that particular sjw blog went on about as though she'd never change ever, and her characterization and the equalist arc were setting back social justice. like, they were really mad about it and character development just wasn't on their radar.

it's okay. i can see why my comment would, like, bother you or something.

and the funniest thing is: i don't remember why i even archive binged that blog. curiosity about social justice, maybe?
    i don't think it was because of korra.

16. Petra

Petra space case

Oh, I wasn't bothered, because I didn't assume you 100% agreed with the blog. Well, wasn't bothered by you.

• Like x 1
  17. unknownanonymous

good. :D

18. Re Allyssa

Re Allyssa Sylph of Heart

Spades Slick? (Did Snowman ever go in the oven I can't remember)

19. wes scripserat

believes himself to be a logical decision maker but is willing to sacrifice other lives for the sake of his ideals, and sacrificed himself even when asked not too.

and

a woman who fights only because she doesn't know any better and feels indebted to the god who built her literally out of dirt.

20. Petra

Petra space case

Wonder Woman?

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice