Pixel art! (digital and physical alike)

Discussion in 'Make It So' started by swirlingflight, Oct 30, 2015.

Tags:
  1. swirlingflight

swirlingflight inane analysis and story spinning is my passion

When I think pixel art the first thing I think of is classic video games or playing around in MS Paint as a kid. And there's plenty of Minecraft servers out there dedicated to creative mode plots where people can make enormous pixel art displays.

But there's also physical stuff like cross-stitching, knitting, perler bead art, and mosaics that work on the same basic premise: small chunks of colors that, grouped together, represent something.

Please, feel free to post things of your making! Walk sprites from video games, old school dungeon designs on grid paper, knitting/crochet patterns, perler bead art, mosaics, whatever! Any art/craft stuff made of pieces of different colors pushed together to make an overall picture.

I'm gonna re-dump some of my stuff from the Drawing thread and the Craft Nerd Herd to get things rolling...

Last edited: Oct 30, 2015
  2. swirlingflight

[​IMG]
    Sans, Papyrus, the protagonist, and [redacted]. I went with their walk sprites because those are small enough to do without going insane.

As it is, just laying the beads out took about 4 hours, partly due to the time spent digging through the bin for the colors I needed. Ironing to come later.

[​IMG]

A while back I worked out simplified designs of the symbols of the Kamen Rider Blade characters so my roommate could knit them. It turns out they're a good size for doing with perler beads.

These were the first two big ones that I took an iron to; too big to simply hold the iron in place. As I still had the iron on a lower temperature than needed, I took about 30 minutes to get them this melted, and gave up trying to go all the way. I may fix them later.

[​IMG]

Now ironed!

I've got them all bead side up because I didn't think to reverse them when I arranged the beads, so the nice, melted, pixely side is backwards for all of them. Live and learn.

[​IMG]

The small suit symbols for the Kamen Rider Blade characters, two rainbow swirls for testing the iron with, the older version of Undertale's protagonist, and the rainbow cat emote. All have been melted with the iron to a degree (I had the iron on too low a temperature for these, too, and they only barely fused).

I am still disappointed by the fact that a few random beads from the big set are utterly melt resistant; that poor cat has a dimple in its forehead.

[​IMG]

Flowey has not yet been ironed, because he is intimidatingly large and I'm still getting the hang of the iron.

[​IMG]

World design on grid paper!

• Like x 6
  3. Imoyram

Imoyram Well-Known Member

I have an hour to spare, so I'm cross posting my perlers and crossstitch from the Craft thread too.
    mlp
    [​IMG]
    monaco
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    superheroes
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Nothing is worse than this... and this happened twice
    [​IMG]
    a sympathy sandwich
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    and my fantrolls (dont mind the doubles and triples of people, I was testing things)
    [​IMG]
    and finally
    [​IMG]

• Like x 2
  4. strictly quadrilateral

strictly quadrilateral alive, alive, alive!

@Imoyram I would pay actual money for one of those superheroes

• Like x 1
  5. Imoyram

@Bel Capricorn
    hee, thank you!!

They actually were as gifts to my old friends, but I mean hey, they arent that hard to make..
    Hopefully (HOPEFULLY) me and Kay will be getting some form of crafty store up and running between the two of us and our other sister, so that might be an option in the distant future.
    There is also the possibility of us getting paired in secret santa (wouldnt be to secret now, but oh well)

• Like x 1
  6. Picori

Picori Less nice than they seem

I've dabbled in pixels!!!

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

I need some work, mostly just lots of practice (shading??? what is) but I like what I've made so far! It's very different from pencil drawing.

• Like x 4
  7. Aviari

Aviari PartyWolf Is In The House Tonight

I'll have to rummage for pictures, but a friend made a patchwork crochet blanket for aa queen bed--Granny Square Pixel Black Mage :D

8. Wiwaxia

Wiwaxia problematic taxon

I've been making some pixel sprites for my SBRUB d&d game.

wraith.png
    Siren.png
    (partially modified from the canon homestuck consort sprites, naturally)

death phantom.png foul thing.png geist.png

• Like x 2
  9. swirlingflight

Those are spooky, and the second one is especially body horror :(

10. Wiwaxia

Wiwaxia problematic taxon

@Picori waaaaaait a second, those pixels seem familiar...
    (heya, good to see you around)

11. Void

Void on discord. Void#4020

OH MAN!!!

one second.

They get older the further down you go.
    [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

• Like x 4
  12. Picori

Picori Less nice than they seem

WINK

• Like x 1
  13. Imoyram

I want to try an original pixel art creation, as nearly all mine have been edits.
    I found this, and am thinking about starting with a small palette? (as suggested at some point in the link, though it is a longish read)
    suggestions?

14. Imoyram

I did my first original pixel art!!
    [​IMG] [​IMG]
    Shit those are really small on here
    uh...
    [​IMG]

• Like x 5
  15. Kaylotta

Kaylotta Writer Trash

awwwwww widdle pumpkins 83

• Like x 1
  16. swirlingflight

Melty-side up for once, to show off that I'm getting pretty close to them being nice and pixely!

[​IMG]

[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG][​IMG]

I'm starting to feel pretty dang comfortable with the iron!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

• Like x 1
  17. Re Allyssa

Re Allyssa Sylph of Heart

My only pixel art experience is in "pixelating" pictures. So like taking a picture and making it fit onto a grid so I could cross stitch it.
    Hmm, looks like I didn't keep the graphs for some, but have some cross stitching with the picture it's supposed to be next to it.
    TorkieVex.jpg [​IMG]
    BiankaUtauKintsugi.jpg [​IMG]
    Eh, that one^ didn't come out as well because I really wanted it to be smaller. So a lot got simplified.

NagisaKintsugi.png
    I ended up simplifying that one even more down to be 50x50, and here's the graph for it with the DCM colors picked out if anyone wants it. xD It's of Nagisa from Clannad. I don't think I ever actually finished cross stitching this one. Whoops. Edit: wait this isn't finished whoops. In the bottom right you can see where I didn't finish deciding what kind of stitch should go in which boxes...
    NagisaGraph50x50.png

OH and finally! Terezi! I haven't finished cross stitching this one either. But 3/4 stitches are lifesavers. xD SO MANY ANGLES!
    Terezi Graph Only.png

Last edited: Nov 7, 2015
    • Like x 1
  18. Imoyram

terezi pic isnt showing up for me.
    {:/

19. Re Allyssa

Re Allyssa Sylph of Heart

There, I think that fixed it.

20. Imoyram

Niiiiiice.
    :D

• Like x 1
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice