Please use reports for forum-admin stuff...

Discussion in 'The Undercity' started by seebs, May 31, 2016.

1. seebs

seebs Benevolent Dictator

Occasionally people use the report feature to report things like "user is having a crisis". I don't think this is a good strategy. I do not have the resources or skills to address arbitrary emotional crises and the like. The report feature is mostly aimed at things where "is a forum mod" is a relevant attribute.

• Like x 4
  2. Starcrossedsky

Starcrossedsky Burn and Refine

I think this is a result of Kintsugi's report/mod-culture being significantly different from Literally Every Other Forum, and so new users especially aren't familiar with the fact that mods around here aren't Authority, they're just People With Posting Tools The Average User Doesn't Have. Most forums that kind of thing would be expected because the culture is "mods take care of problems" (usually between-user problems eg fights, but the nature of Kintsugi lends itself to this being extended to single-user problems eg meltdowns). Kintsugi culture is not like that.

• Like x 4
  3. Mala

Mala Well-Known Member

Also you do come across as a person who would know what to do in a crisis. And I don't think you specified that report was just for forum administration stuff, just that it was the best way to get your attention for something

• Like x 1
  4. seebs

seebs Benevolent Dictator

Yeah, I think I simply assumed that "get my attention for something" implied "my attention as an admin". I don't really have the resources or skills to deal with things like "someone whose name I don't know in another country is suicidal".

5. jacktrash

jacktrash spherical sockbox

i would say, use PM's for that sort of thing. i have on occasion responded to one of those reports by going and giving a text hug or a word of encouragement, but that's not really an admin function. :P

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice