politics threads in general: should we have a politics sub?

Discussion in 'The Undercity' started by jacktrash, Nov 9, 2016.

1. jacktrash

jacktrash spherical sockbox

what it says on the can. opinions?

2. paladinkit

paladinkit brave little paladin

I actually think that's a great idea - part of the reason I was blacklisting election stuff on Tumblr was because the entire Hillary vs Trump narrative was hitting my gaslighting abuse triggers pretty hard, and I imagine segregating political discourse here could help in that people who want to opt out can ask for forum ban.

On the other hand, it may be hard to draw the line between the political and the personal in terms of thread content. :/

• Like x 3
  3. KingStarscream

KingStarscream watch_dogs walking advertisement

I think a politics subforum would be handy. It'd be a good place to shift all the political threads to as well for referencing back, since I know that they're scattered around the Top Serket/FiD/General Chatter forums right now.

4. Maya

Maya smug_anime_girl.jpg

Definitely. The discussion is scattered around and I've been shifting between being willing to calmly chat about it to being in an absolute wreck due to anxiety over it. I just want to talk about something else sometimes but a lot of the threads I want to talk in have been derailed at best.

5. electroTelegram

electroTelegram Well-Known Member

i think that's a good idea. should it be public or members only? im leaning members only but idk what other people think....?

6. kmoss

kmoss whoops

can we split it between the two? main is public, has a private subsub?

• Like x 2
  7. emythos

emythos Lipstick Hoarding Dragon

please have a subforum, I'd like to know where to avoid for a while till I stop being freaked out

• Like x 5
  8. Starcrossedsky

Starcrossedsky Burn and Refine

Yeah, there's very definitely some we want private (the rescue thread) and some we want public (get up stand up) so I think a subsub is the way to go.

9. Mala

Mala Well-Known Member

The most important question though: What pun/play on words should we name them?

• Like x 3
  10. Codeless

Codeless Cheshire Cat

The Circus? (Aka Bread and Circuses or Three Ring Circus)

• Like x 2
  11. Kaylotta

Kaylotta Writer Trash

I'd lean towards something a little more optimistic, though I love the reference...

• Like x 1
  12. Maya

Maya smug_anime_girl.jpg

My shit brain immediately wants to go to "Politifap" as a play on politifact but y'know. I'm sure someone could bullshit something about the 'fap' part being a commentary on how much stock people put into politics.

• Like x 1
  13. Starcrossedsky

Starcrossedsky Burn and Refine

^ my Tumblr tag is polidicks, in the same vein. not sure if good for the sub forum but

• Like x 2
  14. AbsenteeLandlady123

AbsenteeLandlady123 Chronically screaming

My brain immediately jumps to Hamilton. Raise a glass to freedom, and all that.

• Like x 3
  15. jacktrash

i named it 'up the people' because i am twelve. now moving threads to there, report if you want yours moved.

• Like x 5
  16. AbsenteeLandlady123

I'm very tired and can't navigate yet - is this subforum private? If not, can it please have a private subforum?
    I have some things I want to say but doing so in a searchable place is kinda actually dangerous for me and mine.

17. jacktrash

it's not private. i'd suggest posting those things in top serket instead. a private sub-sub in politics would just provide a false sense of security, i think; people signing up to argue will tend to gravitate there.

• Like x 2
  18. AbsenteeLandlady123

Okay, thank you. I changed my mind anyway.

19. jacktrash

you can PM me if you want to say it for-reals privately.

• Like x 2
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice