Polyhedral Hoards and Character Palettes - Show Off Your Dice!

Discussion in 'Fan Town' started by Socket, Apr 26, 2018.

1. Socket

Socket fuzzy tabletop goblin

A dice thread for dice pictures! Come forth and reveal the contents of your dice bags - whether you have a hoard fit for a dragon or there's just that one set that you sort of want to eat, come show off your favourite dice here because dice are pretty :D

Also, if you're the kind of tabletop player who likes assigning a set or a palette to your characters, those too!

(Dice shaming photos also welcome :P)

2. Socket

to kick things off: not a full palette yet, but here's my set for Julian Montgomery Summerwind, a transmutation wizard and aspiring expert magibotanist :D (with props because i got carried away, i love julian and these dice too much)

the translucent ones are the Fairy Pond by Kraken Dice and i want. to put them. in my mouth. every game night i suffer with how much they look like good candies.

29244479_1934657266558717_1260258642913918976_o.jpg 29216884_1934657316558712_2707194032143990784_o.jpg 29244718_1934657366558707_7684735634111463424_o.jpg

• Like x 1
  3. winterykite

winterykite Non-newtonian genderfluid

Oh man. Dice.
    My hoard is small enough to still fit in the beautiful dice bag @EulersBidentity made for me, along with the dice cup.

dice_hoard_6.jpg
    D4 and D2, I mean flipping coins from my Pokémon TCG days.

dice_hoard_5.jpg
    D6. I need more, even though our Pathfinder campaign is now over and I won't get to play Inrata anymore, but I tended to not have enough D6 for the sneak attack damage roll near the end... Or the fireballs.

dice_hoard_4.jpg
    D8! Not dice I use often, but I made a flourite octet, and then bought some actual blue D8 in case I ever play Vriska. Still looking for blank D8 to paint on.

dice_hoard_3.jpg
    Various D10. I used to have more, lost some. Especially one of my D20-looking ones. Those should be rolling low, but they don't. Sucks for D100-based games...
    (They're not biased dice, but every die is sort of naturally a bit biased, in my experience, and the experience of the other tabletoppers.)

dice_hoard_2.jpg
    D12, and my dice cup

dice_hoard_1.jpg
    D20, and a different angle on the dice cup. Those are mixed DnD (high rolling) and DSA (low rolling) dice.

• Like x 2
    • Winner x 1
  4. Exohedron

Exohedron Doesn't like words

I have no standard dice. Instead I have the following monstrosities:
    20180503_222504.jpg
    20180503_222537.jpg
    20180503_222549.jpg
    20180503_222637.jpg
    20180503_222715.jpg

Notes:
    * The D7 is a deformed cube of some sort. I think it's fair, but actually proving that would be a tremendous chore.

* Nontransitive dice means that if you pick one of the four die, I can always find another one that will roll higher than the one you picked most of the time.

* The 120 is the highest number of faces you can get on a polyhedron where all the faces are identical, so the D120 is the largest die that isn't a tremendous chore to prove fair.

• Winner x 6
    • Like x 1
    • Informative x 1
  5. Birdy

Birdy so long

I don’t have a pic but the DM of my last campaign had a D60. It looked like a metal golf ball

He said he got it for some use or other but I think he just wanted to have a weird thing. It was heavy as hell and usually would roll off the table

• Like x 1
  6. Codeless

Codeless Cheshire Cat

How does the D400 actually work?

7. Mikage Reiya

Mikage Reiya The Fourth Daughter

Multiply the numbers of both die probably.

8. artistformerlyknownasdave

artistformerlyknownasdave revenge of ricky schrödinger

my gm at the comic book store had a d30! he called it the d30 of doom and you had to roll it if you crit failed. the lower your d30 roll, the worse your crit fail. a 30 meant you fucked up but maybe it was in a helpful way (an arrow ricocheting and somehow hitting an enemy), a one meant someone was gonna fuckin’ die

• Like x 1
  9. Aondeug

Aondeug Cringe Annoying Ass Female Lobster

omg

• Like x 1
  10. winterykite

i used to have a d30 but i lost it. i should get another one...

there's a couple prime numbers it'd skip though. Possibly on the same basis as using 2D10 for a D100, just on base 20.

• Informative x 1
  11. Socket

I've never seen...like, really any of those Monstrosity Dice before (save for the d120), I love them and am compelled to procure some for my own dice bag. :Dc

12. Birdy

Birdy so long

[​IMG]
    This is like what my friend has. It’s about palm-sized

• Like x 1
  13. winterykite

it's beautiful i want at least four

• Like x 2
    • Agree x 2
  14. Exohedron

The D400 works by the same principle as rolling two D10s to simulate a D100: you take the value of the outer die, subtract 1, multiply by 20, and then add the value of the inner die.

• Informative x 3
  15. Exohedron

By the way, you can get nonstandard dice at MathArtFun, if you don't want to go to math conferences. I just ordered a set of 9-, 11-, 13-, 15-, 17- and 19-sided dice.

• Winner x 1
  16. Aondeug

Aondeug Cringe Annoying Ass Female Lobster

gasp

they sell blank dice

• Like x 1
    • Informative x 1
  17. inchwyrm

inchwyrm I wear the cheese

I do not have much of a dice hoard myself, although I did buy some extremely adorable and tiny dice that arrived the other day!

IMG_7011.jpg IMG_7012.jpg

My general dice hoard is much less interesting, and I haven't curated enough of a collection to have specific dice for specific characters - apart from my tiefling bard, whom I generally use my black/red and pink dice for because idk they suit her?? And I guess the green ones I typically use for my wood elf rogue, although the d20 is definitely cursed lol.

IMG_6846.jpg

• Winner x 3
  18. Everett

Everett local rats so small, so tiny

behold
    20180527_190705.jpg 20180527_190746.jpg

• Winner x 6
  19. hyrax

hyrax we'll ride 'till the planets collide

so the majority of dice i own are a bunch of mismatched dice i got 15 years ago at a con where they were selling those scoops o' loose dice for $2 a scoop. and then for like 10 years those were the only dice i used. (i don't have any good pictures of my rando dice at the moment, but when i get home i'll take some!) eventually, though, i did buy a couple matching sets!

the first set i bought! they're a transparent indigo with shimmery opalescent swirls inside and dark gold numbers, and they are VERY PRETTY and NIGH IMPOSSIBLE TO READ unless it's very bright in the room. in this pic i was holding my hand right underneath the lamp so the numbers would be visible at all. one of these days i should re-color the numbers so i can actually fucking read them ever.
    IMG_5153.JPG

2 years or so ago my boyfriend and i were at a comic store, and i was drooling over this set wistfully, so he bought it for me! dark red with gold glitter and gold numbers, gorgeous and easy to read:
    IMG_5152.JPG

i've never been one to buy new dice for each character i play, partly because i play way too much fucking d&d for that to be practical at all. but my best friend is running a game that has turned out to be something really special, and i've gotten very invested in my character, on a much deeper and more personal level than i normally do. so i actually bought a set of gemstone dice to use exclusively for that game! goldstone dice for Gaius, my catfolk bard:
    IMG_5979.JPG
    IMG_5977.JPG
    THEY'RE SO PRETTY Y'ALL. you may have noticed i like sparkly things... they are SO SPARKLY! and i love that depending on the way the light hits them, they can be a range of colors. they're my first stone dice, too, and they're heavier than plastic but not so heavy that they don't roll well, like some metal dice i've played with.

Attached Files:

• Winner x 4
  20. Socket

@hyrax, Those glittery red dice are stunning!! Do you know what make they are? (Because oh my goodness they'd fit my tiefling's colour scheme to a T. Not that I should buy any more dice, because the Kraken Dice kickstarter happened, but...just to stick on the wishlist.)

Also the goldstone dice look super good - lookit all those sparkles! I wonder if there's anywhere you can get blue/black goldstone dice... C:

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice