Profile post discussion [split]

Discussion in 'The Undercity' started by AbsenteeLandlady123, May 31, 2016.

1. Mala

Mala Well-Known Member

I'm really not getting how "try to not post obviously triggery things in places where people can't easily avoid it" is expecting you to be "fluffy"

• Like x 2
  2. Beldaran

Beldaran 70% abuse and 30% ramen

It would be up to each poster's discretion if they thought those things were okay. Some are more obviously not okay than others. If people make mistakes then eh, it happens. Having the policy in place would at least make people, including myself, think twice when posting to the status box.
    There is a difference between restricting "not okay-ness" to one area, and restricting one specific area from specific kinds of not-okay-ness.

Last edited: Jun 1, 2016
    • Like x 3
  3. BlackholeKG

BlackholeKG I saw you making fire

Hmm. Could we more specifically define the line of what is "obviously triggery"? Is talking about feeling bad/depressed triggery? Is eluding to the existence of a triggering topic triggery? I think there might be being some confusion...

• Like x 1
  4. seebs

seebs Benevolent Dictator

I think this may be a reference to what I said earlier:

"It's not an absolute thing, but in particular, profile posts have no capacity for spoiler blocks or trigger warnings or the like, so. They should maybe be aimed at being fluffier."

5. seebs

Well, for instance, misspelling "alluding" as "eluding" is SUPER HYPER TRIGGERING and I'm probably going to be hospitalized now because while I was designated descriptivist at birth, I'm now identifying as trans-prescriptivist and get really upset over eggcorns.

6. Wiwaxia

Wiwaxia problematic taxon

Fair enough.

7. seebs

I... want to avoid it being rigidly defined because that encourages people to get into arguments about it. But, say, suicide, rape, child abuse stuff maybe? Stuff in the general ballpark of "if you said this in a group of random people, and one of them collapsed in flashbacks, it would not be all that surprising really".

• Like x 2
  8. Erica

Erica occasionally vaguely like a person

To clarify, we are still not discussing instating an actual rule about this, right? We're still in floaty theoretical 'perhaps try to be a bit more careful'-land?

I'd like to suggest that debating what counts and doesn't count as 'triggering' or 'obviously triggering enough' to be or not be in the status box is not actually helping the discussion, as long as we're not talking about making actual rules.

(edit: oh, ninja'd, sort of)

• Like x 1
  9. BlackholeKG

BlackholeKG I saw you making fire

I'm on a roll with those recently, I only found out a few days ago that it was "tenet" and not "tenant".

10. seebs

Yes, this exactly. The goal here is not another weapon in my huge arsenal of reasons to punish people, I can already do that for "name contains printable characters, which I find triggering". The goal here is to help people be aware of an easy way they could accidentally harm people.

• Like x 1
  11. Codeless

Codeless Cheshire Cat

Ages ago I made a hugbox thread (meant for venting and them receiving sympathies/hugs, not a hugbox in the usual sense) That could be used as a communal vent place

12. AbsenteeLandlady123

AbsenteeLandlady123 Chronically screaming

Ye.
    And yeah, again, I don't know if it should be a community guideline, or just an observation, or what.

13. seebs

I don't think we have an "actual rule" on this forum yet. Note the title of the thread. Note that we've never had a "rules" thread.

• Like x 3
  14. Mercury

Mercury 17 Quicksilver Scribe Tramples The Unrepentant

This seems really reasonable to me. Putting things in the chatbox is a lot like walking into a group of people and saying something, and asking people to be mindful of what they're saying in that context is like... basic 'how to get along' guidelines, I thought?

• Like x 4
  15. Mala

Mala Well-Known Member

Would this be a thing most people/the average person would consider triggery (ie along the lines of rape, abuse ect)? if yes, consider not posting it in the statusbox and instead make a thread or post in an existing thread

And there'll probably be times when someone goes "hey can you move this to a thread, its triggery for me?" because there's no way to make a list of what does and doesn't count and that's fine and not some big failing on the part of the person posting the status.

• Like x 3
  16. seebs

Anyone mind if I grab all the posts on this topic and make a separate thread for 'em? It sorta feels a bit long and complicated for a thing on the community guidelines sticky.

... by "anyone mind if" I mean "I'll probably do this in a bit", which means at some point I will briefly lock thread so I can move things without trouble.

• Like x 8
  17. Wiwaxia

Wiwaxia problematic taxon

Fair enough. Mostly its that... i would not have considered the post about sexualizing kids something not to say in a group of people. I dunno. I didn't want to start a debate either, I was just freaking out, thought that was a relevant data point, and tried to put words to it when asked.

18. AbsenteeLandlady123

AbsenteeLandlady123 Chronically screaming

19. swirlingflight

swirlingflight inane analysis and story spinning is my passion

Well, this was a bad time for me to take a daytime nap, I missed a few pages of it.

The basic request, how can we make the front page safer/more comfortable for people sensitive to triggery topics, is fine. I want us to talk about possible solutions to that problem, multiple possible solutions.

I am Upset, in a bad associations way, by claims like "I don't think it's too much to ask" people to successfully gauge whether a thing is likely enough to be harmful to post it in the profile posts. We have a myriad of brainweird here: an unspoken, internally gauged common sense is going to be very difficult for some of us to manage when it's most needed.

I make a habit of not posting anything that I think could plausibly be upsetting to the profile posts, partly because I do not trust myself to gauge it when I'm upset, and partly because 140 characters is too short to say things without being painfully blunt about it.

The solution I suggested is one that I would find very easy. I suspect it would not be easy for others. That's why I encouraged everyone to chime in with other ideas.

The idea of having a dedicating venting status thread, stickied in one of the likely-to-upset topic forums, sounds like a good one. And I like those forums because they give some explicit examples of what they're centered around, so I don't need to think it or remember it, just to reread the forum description.

It's.... I am genuinely upset, in a way that is hard to articulate, by anyrhing that sounds like "it's not hard, just do it." Anything that puts the majority of the responsibility for not-doing-harm on the potential harmer. At the very least, I'd like us to brainstorm methods and resources and strategies, so that we can use someone else's tools/guidelines/advice on how to avoid doing harm.

Eta and then those posts got moved while I was typing, oops.

Eta fixed a few typos

• Like x 5
  20. seebs

Moved this post to be in this thread now.

I just want to say, I don't for a moment think this is a thing people can in general "just do". And we don't expect them to! We just expect them to think about it and make an effort. I'm not gonna yell at people for guessing wrong or being unsure. I am not super worried about a little bit of "chilling effect" on profile posts specifically, because that doesn't prevent people from posting elsewhere.

• Like x 7
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice