Profile post discussion [split]

Discussion in 'The Undercity' started by AbsenteeLandlady123, May 31, 2016.

1. seebs

seebs Benevolent Dictator

Okay, I'm still thinking about this, and I agree that better resources would help. The main thing is, I don't want to imply that people have some kind of obligation never to guess wrong on this or whatever. I'm just aiming for "hey, please keep in mind that profile posts are a thing people can't easily not-see".

• Like x 4
  2. Wiwaxia

Wiwaxia problematic taxon

Yes, exactly that, thank you.

• Like x 2
  3. Beldaran

Beldaran 70% abuse and 30% ramen

It's okay, I understand where you're coming from. A lot of people don't think that this or that topic will be triggery, which is why the ability to mention "Hey, this is kind of triggery and maybe shouldn't be in the status box. Would you mind taking it to a thread?" is important. For example, it never even occurred to my roommate in university that pretending to hit someone in mock anger wouldn't be a good idea all the time. It was a good learning experience for her, and I think that such learning experiences are part of why we have this forum in the first place.

I mean, there's a couple of people here who were raped as children saying that talk of the sexualization of children is triggering so I think most posters will be willing to be like "oops, sorry" and take the discussion elsewhere.

Last edited: Jun 1, 2016
    • Like x 2
  4. seebs

Yeah. The goal here is not to make people feel like fuckups when they don't take a thing into account. We have a lot of people who won't realize what things might be triggery, for instance! So we aren't expecting people to always get it right, just saying "hey, think about this, and if someone asks you to move triggery things out of the profile post, maybe avoid those topics in profile posts". This is not a community built around the expectation that people will always behave in the best possible ways, or even around the belief that best possible ways exist.

• Like x 4
  5. prismaticvoid

prismaticvoid Too Too Abstract

Someone could maybe have @ed me a couple pages back. Not sure whether I need to remove the post in question or?

6. Secret Squirrel

Secret Squirrel certainly something

Question: Is it possible to take the uh, the New Profile Posts box thingy off the front page, and have a link to the New Profile Posts page instead?

If so, what are the pros/cons to doing that?

• Like x 1
  7. Beldaran

I couldn't remember who had said the thing, and you're not the only one to have ever done the thing, and it's off the front page now, AND there wasn't a policy in place at the time of posting so like, you super didn't do anything wrong. I don't think you need to do anything and I just want to stress, again, that I'm not judging people for having posted potentially triggery stuff in the past, and won't be of people who do it in the future without realizing.

• Like x 3
  8. prismaticvoid

Can I request that you not cite specific examples if you can't be thorough about your citation? I really dislike being talked about without my knowledge.

• Like x 1
  9. Beldaran

We were talking about a general problem and someone asked for a specific example. The who did not matter at the time, and no one was even approaching making a call out post for specific people.

• Like x 2
  10. seebs

I don't see why, the concern has solely to do with the initial presentation on front page. And I don't think anyone intended it to be construed as talking "about you", I certainly didn't remember who made the post, even though I remembered having seen several posts roughly of that description.

11. swirlingflight

swirlingflight inane analysis and story spinning is my passion

I'm parsing the request as "please do not use my actions or words as examples in conversations I'm not taking part in," is that about right?

• Like x 2
  12. prismaticvoid

That's it. We've all made posts that could be triggery to someone, if people need examples they can cite their own posts.

• Like x 2
  13. AbsenteeLandlady123

AbsenteeLandlady123 Chronically screaming

I didn't remember who made the post? And once it was pointed out who made the post, wanted to avoid making an impression of dog-piling.

14. Wiwaxia

Wiwaxia problematic taxon

Yeah. Sorry for doing that in my "are these posts okay by this proposed guideline" thing, by the way.

15. swirlingflight

swirlingflight inane analysis and story spinning is my passion

Oooh, I like that. Very actionable advice on how to work with your request and avoid stepping on anyone else's toes in the same way in the future.

• Like x 1
  16. prismaticvoid

I know, it just feels off to me to use something as an example in a disagreement/discussion if you can't remember much about it.
    Edit: sorry, this is primarily @KathyGaele but then more posts happened. I am not mad at anyone in particular, but it was kind of upsetting to wander into this thread and find that something I said was being discussed without my knowledge.

• Like x 2
  17. AbsenteeLandlady123

Why? I remembered the thing happened, but also didn't want to go digging back to try and find it, because it specifically was triggery. I also didn't mention it in the original post, and wouldn't have at all unless I hadn't been poked to point for an example.

• Like x 1
  18. prismaticvoid

I don't personally think an example was that important in this case because pretty much everyone on this forum, myself included, has posted something about being in a bad mental state at least once. I'm not gonna say you need to go back and dig to look for a post that was triggery, but possibly find something you said that could potentially upset people?

• Like x 1
  19. IvyLB

IvyLB Hardcore Vigilante Gay Chicken Facilitator

It was specifically asked for a specific example though.

• Like x 1
  20. AbsenteeLandlady123

That's unreasonable, because you're asking me to do go back and look for a post that was triggery, just one that was mine. And as I make a habit of just making general distressed noises in the status box, rather than saying triggery stuff, it's a thing I can't do in the first place.
    This wouldn't have been an issue in the first place if not for this post:
    In particular
    Which wasn't being said, by anyone, and sent the thread off on a tangent that resulted in requests for specific examples instead of my original thing of:

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice