Profile post discussion [split]

Discussion in 'The Undercity' started by AbsenteeLandlady123, May 31, 2016.

1. Secret Squirrel

Secret Squirrel certainly something

@seebs Thank you for checking. I don't know much about how to website, but is it possible to make the absense of a profile post box on the front page part of a theme, like the alternate color schemes?

I personally would rather have the profile posts remain as they are but in a different location to avoid any possible triggering, so I'm going to keep suggesting ideas for that as long as I have them (as well as the spoons to communicate). However, I would also like to say that I don't think some regulation of profile posts is a terrible back up plan, just that it's not my first choice.

• Like x 1
  2. peripheral

peripheral Kinky Digamma

This part specifically is what I agree with.

• Like x 1
  3. seebs

seebs Benevolent Dictator

Huh. I wonder.

4. swirlingflight

swirlingflight inane analysis and story spinning is my passion

I think I can help with this one; it's currently possible, using AdBlock, for individual users to hide the profile posts box itself.
    [​IMG]
    The "New Profile Posts" part is a link that leads to the profile posts page, so I can easily get there from the main page without moving anything. The only downsides to this method of hiding it that I can think of are (1) You have to know that the option exists, and (2) You have to have AdBlock.

eta went digging and found the post again:

Last edited: Jun 1, 2016
    • Like x 2
  5. Secret Squirrel

Does this load instantaneously or is there a delay? If there is a delay, that could be enough time to still mess someone up pretty bad.

6. AbsenteeLandlady123

AbsenteeLandlady123 Chronically screaming

You aren't the only person who has done the thing, that post was a General Thing. Things you and others have done inspired the thought.
    The thing directed at you, was the thing I @'d you in, re: your interpretation of Beldaran's post.

• Like x 1
  7. BlackholeKG

BlackholeKG I saw you making fire

I just clicked the style button and there's an option to have no profile posts. Did Seebs just add that or have we been overlooking that option?

8. NevermorePoe

NevermorePoe Nevermore

in my experience adblock takes effect in a split second.

• Like x 1
  9. seebs

So, moving the posts is sorta hard, and I can't move them on desktop without making it look silly. But! I can in fact make one that omits the actual posts from the New Profile Posts box. It looks wonky, but it works, I guess?

• Like x 2
  10. swirlingflight

swirlingflight inane analysis and story spinning is my passion

Sometimes the page loads with the profile text box already hidden, sometimes there's a flicker of a fraction of a second before it's hidden. If I was looking at that part of the page when I loaded the main page, I would probably be able to read it... and other people may be able to get more from it than I could. So I can't guarantee it's 100% successful. But I can say that it's fast enough that I haven't had a problem.

• Like x 1
  11. BlackholeKG

Is the option I see the one you just made, Seebs?

12. seebs

Just added that, because I can in fact edit templates in "styles". So I made one where the profile posts thing is different, and that seems to work, I guess?

That said, I don't really want to change the thing I added to guidelines about this, because that still requires users to know about and find a thing, and I really think the stuff shown by default on the front page should make some kind of effort to avoid actually being the triggering content.

• Like x 1
  13. Secret Squirrel

Can you (or someone else) rephrase this? Because I cannot parse this.

14. seebs

My intention isn't "regulation", just "remind people that this is shown to everyone and not always easy to opt out of".

15. seebs

So, I can't easily move where the profile posts are without things breaking or looking awful. But I can make an alternative style which omits the profile posts, and basically looks like the adblocked version someone showed.

• Like x 1
  16. BlackholeKG

Speaking of, can somebody remind me how to change the forum colour scheme? I seem to have lost the option somewhere.

17. unknownanonymous

unknownanonymous i am inimitable, i am an original|18+

click the thing at the bottom that says "Default Style" and then click the "Alternate Colour Scheme" option

18. seebs

that is also a style thing, there's an "alternate color scheme" thing. which hasn't currently got a no-profile-posts option.

• Like x 1
  19. Secret Squirrel

@seebs Ah! Cool!! I am assuming this won't have the problem of the potential partial loading that comes along with Adblock? Edit for clarity: talkin about the thing where it can show up very briefly before getting blocked

Also, re: regulation, that was poor word choice. But now that you've brought it up, do you have an idea for how to remind people? I'm having a hard time conceiving of that.

Last edited: Jun 1, 2016
  20. BlackholeKG

Huh? I thought there was more than just one alternate colour scheme, I specifically remember there was like a "midnight" theme or something with a black or dark background?

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice