PSA: Not everything moderators do is announced.

Discussion in 'The Undercity' started by seebs, Feb 13, 2017.

1. NevermorePoe

NevermorePoe Nevermore

Do you mean just editing it so the content is gone and replacing it with [DELETED]?

• Like x 2
  2. emythos

emythos Lipstick Hoarding Dragon

possibly?
    i have no idea
    i just feel weird about posts being removed with nothing to show that they existed

• Like x 8
  3. rats

rats 21 Bright Forge Shatters The Void

seconding @emythos - it can be jarring to be reading a back conversation and watching people react to something that isnt there. at least a [deleted] is like, an indication that something was there previously

• Like x 7
  4. electroTelegram

electroTelegram Well-Known Member

that doesnt have to be a mod action though, because you can edit and delete your own posts

• Like x 5
  5. spockandawe

spockandawe soft and woolen and writhing with curiosity

I am pretty sure that post editing is one of the privileges that can be taken away, and I'm 99% sure Alix mentioned that this was one of the things they can't do. And I'm not sure if that extends to deleting posts. Not that this isn't largely something that can be done by most of the users, but it isn't universally the case

• Like x 1
  6. electroTelegram

electroTelegram Well-Known Member

yeah true, but i meant in general? i wasnt refering to specifics but yeah i should have been more clear

• Like x 2
  7. emythos

i mean, if a mod is deleting posts
    like, it was implied that the actual posters aren't deleting said posts themself

• Like x 4
  8. seebs

seebs Benevolent Dictator

Delete doesn't leave a visible trail (to non-admins), but editing posts to say "[deleted]" has its own set of problems, mostly that it makes it harder to see what the post was before editing (although I think by default we have edit trails), and also it tends to run into the problems you'd get from more-intentionally doing public shamings of "people who posted a bad thing", which is one of the reasons I've tended to prefer "just not visible".

As to the mod privs thing: I am considering it but it turns out that the mod and report queues can't be made available without significantly larger other sets of powers (because you have to have all sorts of other permissions that might be needed in order to actually do the thing), and while I am in practice pretty sure that Xavius and Snitch are great people (or at least great entities of some kind, in Snitch's case), I am still trying to be pretty cautious about actually handing out Magic Powers.

• Like x 1
  9. Artemis

Artemis i, an asexual moron

I do not follow the connection between "user post has been deleted" and "user is being shamed". Is the first likely to cause the second? I've had posts deleted on forums in the past and not been shamed (that I'm aware of), not that my experience is necessarily a universal one and for all I know I could be an outlier.

• Like x 2
  10. seebs

It's pretty common for people to draw the inference "this user posted a bad thing, therefore this user is somehow bad". And in a lot of cases, it produces extra workload as people run around saying "hey what was the deleted post was it about me" etc.

Whereas if it's just not there, people mostly ignore it.

• Like x 1
  11. TheMockingCrows

TheMockingCrows Resident Bisexual Lich

i still kind of wish there was a way to put even a blank post that just says "deleted/moved/whatever" even if it wasn't from the account that said the deleted post. like. utalitarian post-it-note account. because half the time, if something moves in the moment i not only get confused, i start kind of panicking because Reality Is Shifting, What Was Real. distinctly a me problem in this case, yes, but it's still jarring. i understand the questioning and runaround it can cause, and i can see the parallel with shaming potential, but i've also seen people other than myself get really startled or upset because of current method.

• Like x 8
  12. seebs

That's not a bad idea, it would make sense to have notes in threads saying "hey, some posts got nuked".

• Like x 8
  13. TheMockingCrows

TheMockingCrows Resident Bisexual Lich

i for one welcome the Nuclear Post Roomba. it'd be super helpful if the note was at or near where the deleted posts were, but really anything at all would be better than nothing with the deleting and moving things.

• Like x 13
  14. emythos

yeah like
    posts going missing with no explanations freaks me out, and some sort of "yes something was here" would help

• Like x 9
  15. swirlingflight

swirlingflight inane analysis and story spinning is my passion

That requires being in the thread before the posts are deleted.

• Like x 4
  16. swirlingflight

swirlingflight inane analysis and story spinning is my passion

Bye space anon...

• Like x 5
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice