PSA: one weird trick to avoid unwanted photo rotation

Discussion in 'That's So Meta!' started by hyrax, Aug 23, 2018.

1. hyrax

hyrax we'll ride 'till the planets collide

(mods, please feel free to move this post to a different thread if you think it's a better location! the FAQ thread was my first choice but it's closed. i've posted these instructions in various picture-heavy threads in the past, but they get buried and there are a lot of new people lately.)

so the forum software sometimes rotates people's photos after uploading! and this can be really annoying! BUT, you can get around it! here's how:

-open the photo in any photo editing software.
    -rotate the photo to an incorrect orientation. SAVE the file.
    -rotate the photo back to the correct orientation. SAVE again.

and now when you upload, it will post correctly! i am PRETTY sure this works with most mobile software-- i don't post from mobile very often, but the handful of times i have, i was able to do the rotate-save-rotate again-save trick in the iphone's default Photos app and it displayed correctly.

GO FORTH AND POST CORRECTLY-ORIENTED PICS

Last edited: Aug 23, 2018
    • Winner x 6
    • Useful x 2
  2. seebs

seebs Benevolent Dictator

3. hyrax

hyrax we'll ride 'till the planets collide

i mostly use Preview, the basic photo viewing application for macOS, and it's always worked. i THINK when i first discovered this trick i tried with a few other things like Photoshop, but Photoshop takes forever to load so i don't usually use it for something so basic.

4. Acey

Acey hand extended, waiting for a shake

Can confirm that it works on iOS! (And major thanks for this thread, @hyrax--it's good info to have!)

• Agree x 1
    • Informative x 1
  5. LadyNighteyes

LadyNighteyes Wicked Witch of the Radiant Historia Fandom

Works in MS Paint, too.

• Informative x 2
  6. jacktrash

jacktrash spherical sockbox

quoted it to the faq! thanks for writing it!

• Winner x 2
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice