Puzzle/Logic Games

Discussion in 'Fan Town' started by Exohedron, Jun 1, 2018.

1. Exohedron

Exohedron Doesn't like words

To probably the surprise of absolutely no one who has read my posts, I like puzzles. I like puzzle games, especially logicky ones. I like games that make you think, either inside or outside any particular boxes.

I play a lot of Sudoku, and I play a lot of Fluxx.

Who has recommendations? Puzzle games, logic games, thinky-think games. Flash/Unity/HTML5, or physical, or some other medium.

List of internet examples
    Note: Classification done by "uh....maybe it's this????" and does not necessarily reflect how you will consider them. Simple usually means fewer rules/clues to juggle than complicated.

Simple:
    Rocks and Ravens
    Suguru/Techtonic

Complicated:
    Picross
    Cogs

Bonkers:
    Baba Is You

Last edited: Jun 7, 2018
    • Like x 1
  2. Exohedron

Baba Is You

Baba Is You is a fascinating puzzle game. It starts out kind of Sokoban-y, except there are various short phrases of the form X IS Y scattered around the field. One of them says BABA IS YOU. One of them says ROCK IS PUSH. One of them says FLAG IS WIN.
    So you, a little figure called Baba, push the rock and get to the flag, and you win the level.
    Then in the following levels, you find out that in addition to rocks, you can also push the words around. And that changes the rules. So you can maneuver the situation to make ROCK IS WIN. And now getting to a rock is the win condition. Good job. Maybe that helps.

Available here for $14

Last edited: Mar 31, 2019
    • Like x 2
    • Winner x 1
  3. Exohedron

Rocks and Ravens

Rocks and Ravens
    is a simple logic puzzle. You have rocks, and ravens, and diamonds, and you need to place the rocks and diamonds on the square according to some simple rules. Kind of like baby Sudoku, only there are some birds as well.

• Winner x 1
  4. Aondeug

Aondeug Cringe Annoying Ass Female Lobster

Oh how much do you like writing assembly code sounds fun to me. I'm fucking awful at puzzle games based around it like TIS-100, but I really love them. They're neat and fun and among the only reasons I know what little about coding I do know. They managed to make it fun enough for me to learn small bits of actual shit.

5. Saro

Saro Where is wizard hut

I was/am a fan of Chip's Challenge, which isn't always particularly logic- or puzzle-based, but has its moments. I think it's a fun combination of some puzzles, some "action", some trickery on the part of the devs, and some extreme frustration.

I also like Minesweeper-likes and Picross-type games. Picross 3D on the DS and Round Two on the 3DS are my absolute favorites.

• Like x 1
  6. Exohedron

Picross

Picross gives you a blank grid where each square can be marked or not by clicking on them. Each row and column has a list of numbers that describe how the row or column should be marked; your task is to figure out which squares to mark that's compatible with all of the row and column clues. Very number-y, lots of counting.

Last edited: Jun 2, 2018
  7. chthonicfatigue

chthonicfatigue Bitten by a radioactive trickster god

@Saro Chip's Challenge! I had that for the Atari Lynx. Sometimes the levels are logical, and sometimes they're deeply and soul-destroyingly infuriating, no in between.

I really enjoy Suguru (also called Tectonic) puzzles.
    IMG_1327.JPG

Also very fond of these types, but they are harder to come by, a lot of people I've spoken to seem to think they're overly complex.

IMG_1328.JPG

Edited to add: android app Transmission is also very enjoyable and logical!

Last edited: Jun 3, 2018
    • Like x 1
  8. hyrax

hyrax we'll ride 'till the planets collide

i looooooooove picross! (although some free picross apps have very sloppy puzzles that comes down to guessing far too often, which annoys me.) color picross is a fun way to make it even more complicated.

it's less of a logic puzzle and more of a visual/spatial puzzle, but Cogs starts out with simple slide puzzles and turns into very difficult 3D slide puzzles. here's a link to the game on Steam; it is $10 there but it's available on a lot of platforms, including mobile. i think it's $2 on ios. one of my enduring favorite ipad games!

9. Exohedron

Reupping this thread to let people know that the full version of Baba Is You is available here and it still feels like hax cheating every time you solve a level. It's great.

• Winner x 3
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice