Rating System (was: what even are social noises round N+1)

Discussion in 'That's So Meta!' started by seebs, Mar 31, 2017.

1. Snitchanon

Snitchanon What's a mod to a nonbeliever.

Needs a fart button.

• Witnessed x 11
    • Like x 3
    • Agree x 3
    • Informative x 1
  2. Snitchanon

Snitchanon What's a mod to a nonbeliever.

WHO ARE YOU PEOPLE AND WHY ARE YOU WITNESSING MY FARTS.

• Like x 4
    • Winner x 2
    • Witnessed x 2
  3. TheSeer

TheSeer 37 Bright Visionary Crushes The Doubtful

Ugh, the new ratings don't apply to statuses! Statuses are where they would be most useful!

• Agree x 5
    • Like x 4
  4. Ipuntya

Ipuntya return of eggplant

a winner is you

• Winner x 7
    • Like x 1
    • Agree x 1
  5. Codeless

Codeless Cheshire Cat

@seebs If the hugs button absolutely has to go, can it at least be replaced with "comfort" or "sympathy" ? So there is something with that function around. Since some have wanted that function for a long time.

• Agree x 10
    • Like x 2
  6. BlackholeKG

BlackholeKG I saw you making fire

That's a shame, I like hugs. But yes we definitely at least need an equivalent

• Like x 2
    • Agree x 1
  7. spockandawe

spockandawe soft and woolen and writhing with curiosity

Anecdata is that I've been seeing 'informative' getting used more often than 'useful'. I'm not especially attached to either one, but I see fewer contexts where I would use 'useful' as a response.

And my personal feeling is that witnessed covers a lot of the territory that other sympathy reactions would cover? I mean, there's always nuance where anyone can be like 'but X word conveys my feeling more specifically', but I saw witnessed coming into use largely as a sympathy word so that people wouldn't have to struggle over the nuance of other things.

I personally lean towards a 'but like was so wonderfully broad :(' reaction to these changes, and the extra options make me freeze up a bit with choice. But I do like some of these things! I can see their use, I can see places where I will use them. Especially [social noises], that one cracks me up. But as people suggest more and more additional reactions, the more my brain freezes up with oh god why this. The number of reactions we have is already a bit clunky on mobile, and the longer the list gets, the more I'm going to struggle to respond in any way to posts. I don't mind having some extra reactions, even if it's not my favorite, but the number of suggestions for all these additional subtle flavors of reactions is kinda really stressing me out

Last edited: Apr 4, 2017
    • Like x 3
    • Agree x 2
  8. Verily

Verily surprised Xue Yang peddler

(I don't understand what 'social noises' means.)

9. seebs

seebs Benevolent Dictator

I think it means "I don't know what to say here".

• Like x 2
    • Agree x 2
    • Informative x 1
  10. spockandawe

Like, if the list gets too much longer, it's going to legitimately be less effort for me to reply to the post in thread with a single word reaction, which clogs up the thread and is the sort of thing the reaction system is meant to bypass.

For me, it feels like a generic response when it feels that social protocol dictates some kind of response, but oh god how do I human what are words how does anything work. I feel like it'll be mainly used specifically for its aggressively deliberate ambiguity :P

Last edited: Apr 4, 2017
    • Agree x 6
    • Like x 1
    • Informative x 1
  11. BlackholeKG

BlackholeKG I saw you making fire

I think hugs and witnessed feel very different personally

• Agree x 8
  12. spockandawe

Informative and useful definitely mean different things, but they're still fairly redundant. It is... literally not possible to cover every single flavor of possible reaction to any given situation and the thinner people try to slice interpretations, the more I'm not going to be able to use the system. If we have one button that's basically 'sympathy reaction', then..... it covers all sympathy reactions. Interpret as relevant, just like we've done for years with the like button.

• Agree x 7
    • Like x 1
  13. spockandawe

And just to make things complicated, hugs and witnessed feel so similar to me that I have trouble seeing why they were included as separate options at all. Personal differences in interpreting specific individual words is only going to make it even more difficult to set up a system where people think all the important bases are covered :P

• Agree x 4
  14. Codeless

Codeless Cheshire Cat

I don´t really see the point if "Interesting". Informative and Useful both say something concrete. Interesting. Really doesn´t.
    I read witnessed as "I have seen the thing" Outside of just conveying sympathy, so it can be used to acknowledge having seen something.

• Agree x 1
  15. swirlingflight

swirlingflight inane analysis and story spinning is my passion

- obviously let's keep this -

Like = The default, an overall positive response. The only one that some of us will use, because ugh change, ugh decision paralysis, or some other ugh.

- I'd really like to keep these -

Agree = I agree with at least part of the content of the post and wants to communicate that agreement in a quick, wordless way.

Informative and/or Useful = This post taught me a thing I am glad to have learned. I don't necessarily like it or agree with it, but I appreciate that the poster said the thing. Could be used anywhere from acknowledging a point in a heated conversation, to saying "hey thanks for the instructions on how to cook this delicious food!" I'd be okay with finding a word to roughly combine these into.

Witnessed = the catch-all term for expressing acknowledgement, sympathy, and encouragement (thanks fury road fandom)

- I'm less attached to these -

Hugs = Fondness, and/or emotional comforting, and/or offering a physical hug, and/or approval of a picture of a pet.

Funny = I found this humorous!

Winner = This is awesome, and/or I'm being a whimsical wiseass.

• Agree x 12
    • Like x 2
    • Winner x 1
  16. spockandawe

This kind of became a thing in multiple places at once after MMFR, but the conversations I saw it in were using primarily in a sympathy way. Kind of... acknowledging you saw the thing and also [sympathy noises], but without having to figure out the actual words to respond to a delicate situation. It worrrrrrrrks as an 'I've seen the thing' marker, but honestly, I think that's a cleaner fit for the old like button.

• Like x 3
    • Agree x 2
  17. Mendacity

Mendacity I’m meaner than my demons

I have a problem with 'useful' because, as stated up-thread, it can cause spirals. "Why did this person's post get a useful and mine not? Is my stuff not useful. I'm trash" ect. I can see myself falling into this. I'm not fond of hugs because it flat out will trigger people, and beyond that it'd probably trigger me unless I know you. Witnessed covers that for me because in general forum parlance from my understanding it's read as 'I see what happened and I am showing sympathy for it.' ect.

I also kind of feel like it might be better to just make a 'sympathy' button and cut out both Witnessed and Hugs just to combine them. Social noises is vague but almost too vague, like it's so vague that... What does it mean? Winner has the same thing for me but I can also see that causing some people to spiral. Funny / LOL also hit me as problematic in this way.

The problem is that individual users cannot control which rating they get, and thus anything that might cause a spiral needs to be avoided. Anything that could be abused doesn't need to be there, and yes I'm aware that all of it could in theory be used to abuse people but things like Hug or Funny are super obvious. What if someone went into my thread and started rating Funny on all of my talk about my abuse? That's not funny, that's not LOL, that's an easy way to trigger / harass someone.

Basically this. Maybe plus a 'Relatable' button.

• Agree x 6
  18. unknownanonymous

unknownanonymous i am inimitable, i am an original|18+

what will happen to the ratings we already got if some of the options are removed or changed?

• Like x 2
  19. swirlingflight

swirlingflight inane analysis and story spinning is my passion

I knew I forgot to add one of the suggested ones.

• Like x 1
  20. unknownanonymous

unknownanonymous i am inimitable, i am an original|18+

my feelings on ratings are basically just, "i love watching the number go up," when it comes down to it.

• Like x 6
    • Agree x 6
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice