Registration...

Discussion in 'The Undercity' started by seebs, Feb 23, 2015.

1. seebs

seebs Benevolent Dictator

In theory, although I don't think it's quite done yet, users who haven't completed registration, or who haven't been approved, should be able to post in the advice forums but not able to see other people's threads there.

I went with admin-approval-only because I don't want spambots but I also don't want people to have to use email since some of the likely users can't safely do so. This may change later.

Downside: Since I'm gonna go try to sleep, no more users approved until later. Eventually I may try to add other people who have permissions suitable to activate accounts.

2. Wiwaxia

Wiwaxia problematic taxon

Heads-up: I got an email saying I was approved. This may not be ideal.
    (also, how will password recovery be handled in situations where email isn't an option?)

3. Morven

Morven In darkness be the sound and light

I suspect you get an email if and only if you put your email in when you signed up, and I think we're pretty used to the idea that if we sign up for something we get emails from it. But given the assumptions of this forum, it might be an idea to explicitly have to opt-in from the get-go? Just in case.

4. novelDaydreamer

novelDaydreamer Not Appearing In This Avatar

When I tried to sign up, it wouldn't let me until I input an email. Was that not supposed to happen, or was there some kind of opt-out checkbox that I missed?

5. seebs

I believe it still requires an address. And d'oh, good catch on the notification email, I should disable those. (I think that may be an option, and I'm pretty sure I can do it when approving things.)

6. swirlingflight

swirlingflight inane analysis and story spinning is my passion

On the plus side, sub accounts do not require us to enter an email address. And I haven't gotten a notification email for it.

7. seebs

Yeah, no notifications or email for sub accounts.

Also I believe I've now globally disabled sending email at all, which makes the subscription-type stuff harder to use, but it's a temporary thing until I find a way to set it at the user level or something.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice