Request: New Subforum

Discussion in 'That's So Meta!' started by Gee, Jul 3, 2018.

Tags:
  1. Gee

Gee the mail never fails

Hi, would it be possible to have a positivity sub forum? We've got brainbent for mostly neg noises / venting, but I feel like we don't have enough places exclusively for thrilled noises or uplifting talks or cheer people on. There are threads, yes, but they seem kind of far in between and hard to pin down. But maybe this is just me.

Given a recent trend of negativity and bs I'd like to see a place where we can build others / ourselves up more and celebrate rather than digress into.bickering and angries.

Is this a feasible request? If not, I.understand

• Like x 11
    • Agree x 4
    • Useful x 2
    • Winner x 1
  2. Athol Magarac

Athol Magarac I prefer reading posts without a lot of topics.

I think that might be a good thing. Just someplace where everything is supposed to be positive and inspiring. Kittens and puppies and fluffy clouds that look like bunnies.

3. Gee

Gee the mail never fails

Well. I don't know about the cliche of fluffy bunnies and all, but just a more helpful and positive domain. Doesn't have to be all perky Polly all the time, but encouraging others and cheering folks on seems nice.

I had the idea that perhaps threads like Show Me Your Pets, and What Productive Thing Did You Do would live there, and maybe infodumping / happyspam ones.

Introducing good vibes just seems like something the forum might need from time to time.

• Agree x 6
  4. Elaienar

Elaienar "sorta spooky"

Interesting idea!

I like the idea of a positivity subforum, but have a vague concern about taking positive threads out of other subforums and sequestering them there. I think it would be good to leave all or most of the current positivity threads where they are so there's kind of an even spread across the forum.

Edit: removed ping @ Gee since they're leaving the forum.

Last edited: Jul 5, 2018
    • Agree x 1
  5. Chiomi

Chiomi Master of Disaster

Hmm. I really like the idea of positivity being easy to find, but also, yeah, Elaienar, you phrased it better than I could when I looked at this yesterday: I think the spread is important, too. What do y'all think about the possibility of a thread tag?

• Like x 3
  6. Nobody's Home

Nobody's Home I'm a Greg Coded Tom Girl

The thread tag might be interesting so they would be easy to find + labeled clearly if someone wants to do that

Though folks can also just type it out in the titles regardless

• Agree x 1
  7. Mala

Mala Well-Known Member

Could have the subforum and only move existing threads by request

• Agree x 1
  8. seebs

seebs Benevolent Dictator

Even for new threads, I'd rather have positive threads occurring everywhere. Thread tag might make sense.

I'm a little unsure of what to do about possible abuses of such a thing. I'm not sure what they are, but I'm sure they'd be fussy to deal with.

• Like x 1
    • Agree x 1
  9. Nobody's Home

Nobody's Home I'm a Greg Coded Tom Girl

Well I guess it can be like, a trick.
    Label it positivity but inside is hurtful things

10. Re Allyssa

Re Allyssa Sylph of Heart

I think a thread tag would be a good idea. Because iirc, you can click on the thread tag and get all the threads with that tag. This way the positivity is still spread out, but you can get it all in one place if you want it.

I think we would be able to deal with abuses of the tag pretty easily by just removing it? but people would need to report the thing so we see it.

• Agree x 7
    • Like x 1
  11. Elaienar

Elaienar "sorta spooky"

The thread tag seems like a good idea if you're thinking about making positivity/positive threads easier to find. I think it's a good idea.

The thing about a positivity forum that appealed to me was that I thought it might work similary to how our vent forums did for me. Which is to say, their presence caused me to think "Oh! I could have a vent thread!" when it might not have occurred to me otherwise.

I think having a positivity subforum might encourage the creation of positive threads that might not otherwise have existed because the OP didn't realise there was a place in the forum for, I don't know, Uninterrupted Enthusiasm about Baseball Caps, the Thread. But I don't have my thumb on the metaphorical pulse of the forum enough to know if 1) "I didn't know I could make a positivity thread" is a problem; 2) which would not be better solved by making sure that members know that positivity threads are welcomed in all/most subforums already. Also unintential segregation, where all positivity gravitates towards one subforum, is still a vague concern of mine.

Those are my additional cents. Some amount of them. :P

Edit: Some words lost between brain and keyboard. Added "that members know".

Edit, son of Edit: Positivity no longer looks like a word.

Last edited: Jul 5, 2018
    • Like x 1
    • Agree x 1
  12. keltka

keltka the green and brown one

I think the tag could defs work towards that purpose too, and if someone sees it scattered all across the forums it might be a "HEY I COULD HAVE A POSITIVE THREAD HERE!" where they might have thought a particular subforum was No Go on Positive Threads?
    I like the tag idea because I think it'd be more eyecatching

• Agree x 5
    • Like x 3
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice