Resources for learning asl?

Discussion in 'General Advice' started by Deresto, Apr 24, 2017.

1. Deresto

Deresto Foolish Mortal

Ive always wanted to learn but have never been able to find reliable/easy to understand resources and lessons. I have trouble processing audio (especially recently, the older i get the harder and more frequent it is for some reason) sometimes and do a lot better with the big expressions/gestures that go along with sign language. Ive heard its best to learn from someone irl who already knows it but i dont have that available to me that i know of. Help? Additional notes, i am ridiculously bad at learning new languages and can barely wrap my head around english sometimes, so simple and repetitive is better than fast and in depth i think.

• Agree x 5
  2. NevermorePoe

NevermorePoe Nevermore

I don't have an answer, but This.

• Like x 1
  3. Panda

Panda Fuzzy critter

I don't know ASL myself but I've recently come across two sites that might be helpful for you:

https://giphy.com/signwithrobert and https://www.spreadthesign.com/

Obviously I can't vouch for the quality but they look like an okay starting point to me and maybe someone who knows more about ASL than me can take a look and see if they're any good :)

• Like x 2
    • Useful x 1
  4. Alaspooralice

Alaspooralice An actual trash fire

Oh man I used to have a website on my old laptop for free asl lessons. I'll share if so can find it again.

• Like x 2
  5. Re Allyssa

Re Allyssa Sylph of Heart

lifeprint.com is an online ASL course made by a Deaf person, so I think that's pretty cool :) I never got very far, but /shrugs

• Useful x 3
    • Like x 1
  6. Azzy

Azzy 200% GUNK

I'm currently minoring in ASL, the textbooks we use are really great, they're called 'Signing Naturally' and come with homework videos that help a lot. Could be a bit expensive though.

Signingsavvy is also a good straight up dictionary type site for when you want specific words.

• Useful x 2
  7. whyguy

whyguy blarg

this isn't really a resource, and it's only a tip for a really specific part of ASL, but when I was taking ASL classes, I was given a way of practicing fingerspelling quicker

when I rode passenger in a car, I would practice fingerspelling roadsigns before they passed by

I did that for most of a six hour roadtrip one time, and I improved a whole lot!

• Informative x 2
    • Winner x 1
    • Useful x 1
  8. Lissa Lysik'an

Lissa Lysik'an Dragon-loving Faerie

• Useful x 2
  9. Azzy

Azzy 200% GUNK

this is genius! I have an 18 hour road trip coming up and will definitely do this. Fingerspelling is my biggest weakness

• Like x 2
  10. Deresto

Deresto Foolish Mortal

I was doing the car thing yesterday for like 30 minutes and i can already tell its gonna help a lot! What an excellent practice game

11. Azzy

Azzy 200% GUNK

back to school means back to ASL class. This year the professor is signing way faster, which is alright for regular words, but once again, fingerspelling is a weakness. Anyone know anywhere I can get better at /reading/ fingerspelling?

I have trouble getting anything but the first two letters, cant seem to map watching someone else's hand to what my hand would do fast enough to understand names

12. Re Allyssa

Re Allyssa Sylph of Heart

http://asl.ms/

That has a thing where it will flash some fingerspelling at you and you have to write the word. I think you can control the speed and everything, so you can start our slow and get faster

Fingerspelling will be the death of me when I finally sit down to learn ASL... I have so many problems spelling in english. Spelling outloud? forget it. spelling with my fingers? Oh god.

• Informative x 2
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice