Reviving old threads?

Discussion in 'The Undercity' started by Re Allyssa, Jun 15, 2015.

1. Re Allyssa

Re Allyssa Sylph of Heart

Do we have a general policy/consensus on reviving old threads?

I figure arguments shouldn't be revived, but what about general topic threads, or an advice post if someone had a thought they wanted to include (*cough I've been gone for months and have a bad habit of back reading cough*)?

#I think this goes here #I am bad at forums and subtopics

• Like x 1
  2. unknownanonymous

unknownanonymous i am inimitable, i am an original|18+

i think kintsugi protocol is Go For It, at least for general topic threads. like, if you have something to say, don't intend to (re)start drama with it and don't think you'll be specifically upsetting anyone, Go For It.

or at least that's my philosophy and it hasn't got me in trouble yet, far as i know...

(this might be ridiculously self-pimpy and egoistical of me, thinking this scenario is likely enough to mention, but... if anyone has anything at all to say in my norm the genie thread, Go For It applies like just... so much... so much.)

• Like x 3
  3. Wiwaxia

Wiwaxia problematic taxon

Yeah, i really doubt anyone will mind.

4. albedo

albedo metasperg

Yeah, go for it.

5. swirlingflight

swirlingflight inane analysis and story spinning is my passion

+1 Go for it. Sometimes my brain wanders away from a topic for a month or two, but if I come back and someone else might be interested in the thread, I'd rather revive it than let it sit on the shelf gathering dust. There's a chance I revive it, no one responds, and I flail awkwardly a few hours... But a smaller chance than other forums, I think.

• Like x 1
  6. seebs

seebs Benevolent Dictator

I have absolutely no objections to people resuming long-dead discussions.

Historical thing:

It used to be that people would occasionally post completely-irrelevant responses to years-old threads, and this would be called "thread necromancy". The bad part was that they were no longer relevant at all. e.g., two years after the PS3 release date, it's no longer interesting to mention having seen one in stock at a retailer in a thread on "can anyone find a PS3 at retail".

Then the Internet happened, and people started calling it "necromancy" any time someone responded to an inactive thread. At all. Ever. For any reason.

I am intolerant of that. If the post is relevant and not completely superceded by events since the thread was active, go for it!

• Like x 7
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice