Romance Novels!

Discussion in 'Fan Town' started by WolffyLuna, Nov 21, 2019.

1. WolffyLuna

WolffyLuna Active Member

A thread for discussing romance novels! Looking for a romance novel recommendation? Wanting an excuse to recommend a novel? Want a sympathetic audience to shout "just shut up an kiss already, main characters!" at? This is potentially a thread for that!

• Like x 3
  2. WolffyLuna

WolffyLuna Active Member

And to kick things off, a rec! I really liked "A Duke By Default" by Alyssa Cole. Portia Hobbs is a self described 'hot mess' who's trying to turn over a new leaf, by going to be an apprentice to a swordsmith. Tavish McKenzie is not super keen on having an apprentice, who wasn't even his idea, running around under his feet-- oh, and he's unaware that he is actually the Duke of Edinburgh. Chemistry ensues.

It's quite a fun book, and I really like the characters!

And as a side note that might interest people: Portia has ADHD. I'm not 100% sure the portrayal is completely reasonable, because I don't have ADHD, but from what I've read from reviews from people with ADHD + people's blogs, it seems about right? Especially because Portia's problems aren't the stereotypical "OMG SQUIRREL!", and more "Why am I so good at starting things but so bad at the follow through" and "wait, why is there so much stuff I struggle with that it seems everyone else can just do" and a splash of rejection sensitive dysphoria.

(Just be prepared to suspend your disbelief about how noble titles work :P)

Last edited: Nov 21, 2019
    • Like x 2
  3. WolffyLuna

WolffyLuna Active Member

I am still in an Alyssa Cole hole. I recently finished "A Prince on Paper," which is in the same series as "A Duke By Default."

I didn't know I liked fake dating till I read this book. Apparently I like fake dating?

Also: canon bi lead yessssssssss! (Like, it's not a big thing in story, but it is actually stated outright, and I kind of appreciate the 'low key but definitely there' way the story handles it?)

• Winner x 1
  4. blue

blue hightown funk you up

re: excuse to recommend: I love all of KJ Charles’ work! Mostly-m/m, historical, some of em have magic in them (the Charm of Magpies series is frankly delightful and adventurous and has interesting gross weird magic stuff in addition to MCs I care about) and some of em don’t (but omg Any Old Diamonds. omg Think Of England).

I also really enjoyed Rose Lerner’s True Pretenses, which is about a con artist and his mutually-practical-no-feelings marriage to a minor heiress who needs a husband to inherit, and the feelings that inevitably develop XD

I haven’t read as much modern stuff, but I slammed Alisha Rai’s Forbidden Hearts series in a weekend.... so much fraught family drama!! all of them are between different people associated with these two families involved in a generations-long feud over betrayal (and love??) and the arc plot of uncovering and maybe-resolving what happened that develops over the series is very satisfying!

5. Kittenly

Kittenly Just Squish That Cat!

I will take this opportunity to shill for my sister-in-law, who's written a couple of historical romances. Here's a link to the first in the series:
    https://www.amazon.com/Ladys-Guide-Ruin-Birch-Romance/dp/1101986794

It's good stuff, and full of solid friendships between women, which is always nice.

• Like x 3
  6. WolffyLuna

WolffyLuna Active Member

@blue KJ Charles' work is so good! I've only read Think of England so far, and I really liked it. I recently bought Proper English, and hopefully I'll get around to reading it soon~

@Kittenly Thank you for the recommendation!

• Like x 1
  7. turtleDove

turtleDove Well-Known Member

The Weird and Wonderful Holiday Romance Anthology is so very good. Not sure how much it is right now, though, since I got it while it was on sale for a dollar. (I also grabbed Let It Shine by Allyssa Cole while she was offering it for free, since I'm kinda...fucking broke rn. Looking forward to digging into it, though.)

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice