Round Robins

Discussion in 'Make It So' started by KingStarscream, Mar 13, 2018.

1. KingStarscream

KingStarscream watch_dogs walking advertisement

A round robin is a type of art collaboration where 3-5 artists work together on a group of pictures (usually with the same subject) and swap out roles for each picture!

So a group of three might work like this:

Artist 1 does a sketch, Artist 2 does the lines, and Artist 3 does the colors and shading
    Artist 3 does a sketch, Artist 1 does the lines, and Artist 2 does the colors and shading
    Artist 2 does a sketch, Artist 3 does the lines, and Artist 1 does the colors and shading

At the end, you have three finished pieces (and a grid of process works!) and it can be an absolute blast.

To involve more people, you can expand the coloring into flats and shading and a background, though five is generally the limit and three is the most common.

The purpose of this thread is to help people arrange round robin groups! Either by a first-come, first-serve process (so the first three people who popped in would work together) or by subject (so if we get three SU fans who want to try a series of Pearls, they could work on that), depending on what y'all are happier with.

edit: For the purpose of making sure everyone can send around workable files to each other, here's a couple extra questions! Which programs do you use most often, and which work in progress filetypes are you okay with using (.sai, .psd, .cpg, et cetera)? And as a corollary to that, would you be okay doing a private group message for the purpose of passing files around?

Go forth and art!

Last edited: Mar 13, 2018
    • Like x 4
    • Winner x 2
  2. KingStarscream

Speaking of which, I'm going to start off by saying I'm generally happier doing things by subject! I'm most comfortable doing Homestuck characters (though if u give me a hot second, I could manage Hiveswap characters too), Watch_Dogs characters, Transformers characters, and Steven Universe characters, though I haven't seen the latest season. :P

I'm also pretty happy with more generic "fantasy elf" or "mermaid" subjects, because I think the different interpretations people have on a prompt is fun.

• Like x 1
  3. aetherGeologist

aetherGeologist Well-Known Member

ooh, this sounds interesting! I'm up for drawing pretty much anything

• Like x 1
    • Agree x 1
  4. Acey

Acey hand extended, waiting for a shake

CRASHES INTO THE THREAD

i think it's obvious what my fandoms are (and holy shit i love the series of pearls idea...maybe the three different pearls :0) but i'm up for whatever! i can't really robots though, alas. mostly i'm good at humans and humanoids.

• Like x 2
  5. aetherGeologist

i like the sound of pearls!

• Like x 1
    • Agree x 1
  6. KingStarscream

I am down with Pearls! I'll admit that I hadn't thought out the process of getting the sketches and the like around, so I'm going to amend the first post with an addition of:

Which programs do you use most often, and which work in progress filetypes are you okay with using?

(Photoshop CS6 and .psds for me, because SAI won't work on my computer unfortunately.)

And as a corollary to that, would you be okay doing a private group message for the purpose of passing files around? So that way the finished pieces can be dropped in here for everyone to see as a surprise!

• Like x 1
  7. Acey

Acey hand extended, waiting for a shake

I use Sai, but I could work with .psd I think? Not great at drawing in Photoshop, alas, but IIRC Sai can open that file type so that should work.

And I'm down with a group PM!

• Like x 1
  8. KingStarscream

Yeah, I'm reasonably certain that SAI and Manga Studio can both open and work .psd files, but Photoshop can't do the opposite because Adobe's full of fat cats sitting on their formatting empire.

• Agree x 2
  9. aetherGeologist

I'm happy working in psd, and I'm fine with a group PM.

• Like x 2
  10. KingStarscream

I wanna give it some time for other people to chime in before I throw out a group message, but otherwise Pearl Time is a go!

• Winner x 2
  11. prismaticvoid

prismaticvoid Too Too Abstract

Pearl Time Pearl Time
    can I get in on this? :D

• Like x 1
    • Winner x 1
  12. KingStarscream

YOU CAN 100% GET IN ON THIS

• Winner x 2
  13. prismaticvoid

prismaticvoid Too Too Abstract

WOO
    I also work in Photoshop (CC, but it shouldn't make a difference)

• Like x 2
  14. sidneyia

sidneyia from TV

I'm not a Steven Universe but if there are TAZ fans or people who just want their OCs drawn/want to draw other people's OCs, I'm your guy.

• Like x 1
  15. Nobody's Home

Nobody's Home I'm a Greg Coded Tom Girl

I Use SAI and that can save as psd and This is something that looks cool!
    @sidneyia I like Taz! So maybe we can do draws haha

• Like x 1
    • Winner x 1
  16. sidneyia

sidneyia from TV

Sure!

I use SAI and can work with most image formats, and I'm cool with taking on any part of the drawing process (sketching/storyboarding, inking, coloring, shading, etc.).

Last edited: Mar 31, 2018
    • Like x 1
  17. Nobody's Home

Nobody's Home I'm a Greg Coded Tom Girl

Let's wait a bit in case a third person comes along so the classique
    Sketch -> lines -> color
    Can come along but if there isn't one we can talk about it heheh

• Like x 1
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice