RP outside the RP forum

Discussion in 'The Undercity' started by EulersBidentity, Jan 9, 2016.

1. EulersBidentity

EulersBidentity e^i*[bi] + 1

[​IMG]

RP posted in the status feed or in non-RP threads can be spoilery/off-topic/confusing/mildly distressing - the last two especially if it's not obviously RP.

I'm not demanding that it end, and I definitely don't want to wreck anyone's fun, but this is something that bothers me. Anyone else feel similarly?

If it's just me then I'll stop yelling at clouds.

• Like x 8
  2. Mercury

Mercury 17 Quicksilver Scribe Tramples The Unrepentant

Nah, not just you that's bothered! I'm not thrilled by having to be wary of spoilers just by going on the main page, and it can get REALLY confusing when I'm trying to figure out if it's a real person that's distressed/angry/whatever, or someone rping. And the occasional single rp comment contribution can be funny, but when it's a whole rp session that spins up, it kinda feels like a bunch of folks charged in to where a bunch of us were having a nice conversation and started LARPing loudly over all of it.

If I wanted to rp (which I don't), I'd be over in the rp threads. I don't like the feeling I'm being MADE to participate in rp by people spilling it over into non-rp threads.

Last edited: Jan 9, 2016
    • Like x 8
  3. TheMockingCrows

TheMockingCrows Resident POTSie potato.

Nah, I feel the same. I'm all for people having fun, but I'm also not for a bunch of loud personalities bumrushing a coffee shop. It leaves me agitated and tense, and in some cases outright angry because I keep getting notifications and getting lost in what I was reading because of roleplay. I have to sift through the feed to find things from people individually when it happens on the front page. It's... kind of rude really when there is huge marked places saying "do thing here" and it's just kind of ignored.

I know everyone's having fun, but it's only fun for the people contributing to it. when it happens out of the rp forum and in other places I just abandon kintsugi till it goes away because I don't want to see it and can't just look away from it. I can't ignore it because it's out of place and keeps alerting me that it's there, intermingled with what I'm actually trying to look for. And trying to get it herded back where it needs to be takes another page and a half as people try to keep getting the last word in with a character sometimes instead of just.. quoting and going where it needs to go or dropping it because the gag is dead.

:grumps and grouches because THINGS BEING OUT OF ORDER MAKES ME VERY UPSET AND I CAN'T HELP THE DISTRESSED FEELING:

• Like x 7
  4. Kaylotta

Kaylotta Writer Trash

Agreed. I also don't mind the one-off silly comments, done tastefully and then dropped, but that's hard to do. It really does bother me when RP spills over into the status feeds, because yeah, it can get really confusing! It's like an inside joke done for entirely the wrong audience. The people outside the RP have literally no idea what's going on. I know what's going on and it still disgruntles me. :/

I'm not in many topics where spontaneous RP happens and continues past its expiry date, but I can absolutely understand the frustration.

• Like x 5
  5. swirlingflight

swirlingflight inane analysis and story spinning is my passion

I don't want to give up on the one-off comments, but I can see how the longer amounts of rp get frustrating to weed through. I think the best option is for people to send it to the shitposting rave, where we can keep going without flooding whatever thread with alerts.

• Like x 4
  6. Void

Void on discord. Void#4020

god yes please it really rubs me the wrong way when i see tons of rp posts in a not rp topic. like. one off is fine, but when y'all start posting a ton of rp in the wrong place it's like ":| this is not where you are supposed to do that please i just want to keep up with this topic."

pretty much what @TheMockingCrows said too, it's really only fun for the people who actually are rping it and it is irritating. i'm a huge stick in the mud. i just wanna look at the dang thread without alerts going off about such and such rp character posting in the topic

• Like x 2
  7. TheMockingCrows

TheMockingCrows Resident POTSie potato.

maybe like. do the one off for the pun then move it off the thread. because typically one character reply is all that's needed to do the joke reaction..? after that it's just characters reacting to characters et cetra. the one off things are fun and light hearted but beyond that it dies for me and gets frustrating.

• Like x 7
  8. Imoyram

Imoyram Well-Known Member

i agree completely. Generally I can tell who's who, but it does get pretty annoying.

9. Starcrossedsky

Starcrossedsky Burn and Refine

+1, and also on a similar note (which is what I thought this thread would be about), shitposting rave being in the greetings forum makes it kind of impossible to see when there are actual newbies to greet and it's a litle annoying.

• Like x 6
  10. Codeless

Codeless Cheshire Cat

I´d like to second implicit request to move shitpost rave. If we want a subaccount intro thread, maybe one with a more obvious title and rules regarding posts would be better.

• Like x 4
  11. this is not a subaccount

this is not a subaccount Active Member

As the OP of shitposting rave, I have no complaints with moving it to the rp forum.

• Like x 2
  12. Petra

Petra space case

Yeah, I'm sorry I've done this a few times. Doing a few posts for a pun and then moving to shitposting rave seems the best resolution here.

• Like x 2
  13. EulersBidentity

EulersBidentity e^i*[bi] + 1

Yeah I mean it seems like this is a thing that a lot of people have been quietly frustrated about but afaik no one has brought it up yet. So I don't think people should feel bad for having done it without realising it might be an issue!

Personally I'm indifferent on the shitposting rave, but then I don't spend much time in the welcome forum.

But yeah I've considered making this thread for a while and finally did it after a couple of people responded with concern to what I'm fairly sure is an RP account in the status feed. Not cool on this forum, where if someone says "I nearly got stabbed" the best response would probably be more "oh shit can we get you a couch and a fundraiser" than "yeah, right."

Last edited: Jan 9, 2016
    • Like x 11
  14. swirlingflight

swirlingflight inane analysis and story spinning is my passion

Oof. That's a good point I hadn't considered, and thanks for bringing it up.

• Like x 6
  15. cleverThylacine

cleverThylacine cuddles for the weird and the fierce

wow, my subs do status posts all the time but I would *never* have them post about being stabbed. OMG people do that? That seems incredibly rude. Why would people think it's okay to do that?

16. Petra

Petra space case

I might have done that if I was really out of it. I mean, I didn't, but there's times I might slip up and do something similar, like if my groggy-drowsy night meds are kicking in or something.

17. unknownanonymous

unknownanonymous i am inimitable, i am an original|18+

@Carnelian did a status about how it was a bad day for being stabbed yesterday

18. unknownanonymous

unknownanonymous i am inimitable, i am an original|18+

@cryptoThelematrix and if i didn't think it was obviously a rp status, which it actually was, i wouldn't have liked and responded to it the way i did. if i thought a real person was stabbed, i'd have either been sympathetic or simply not responded.

19. cleverThylacine

cleverThylacine cuddles for the weird and the fierce

I just posted this to WT OOC and I hope that it wasn't one of us but I felt the need to say it anyway. Carnelian is from Escape from Homeworld, I'm not sure who runs that (@Kaylotta? @emythos?) but I don't mod it or I'd post it there too....

20. emythos

emythos Lipstick Hoarding Dragon

Kaylotta is Gray Pearl, and I'm Smoke Pearl, I don't actually know who @Carnelian is.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice