RPGs (particularly under-rated and little-known!)

Discussion in 'Fan Town' started by The Frood Abides, Dec 17, 2015.

1. The Frood Abides

The Frood Abides Doesn't Know Where His Rug Is

We've got a D&D Chatter thread and a WoD Related Chattering thread. I have not had the opportunity to try WoD, and for all that I love D&D, the stories and games that you can produce with it are kind of limited. I could happily spend many more years playing just those two, but still, I'm a curious person and I like telling various kinds of stories with my friends.

So I'm interested in what systems the other tabletop geeks of Kintsugi appreciate, and why. Tell me here!

(recently I've been checking out the Fate system, which is available for pay-what-you-want online, and very story-driven. Its setting-agnosticism appeals to me -- you could run gritty cyberpunk or space opera or pulpy western with equal ease. Also, my gaming group as a whole tends to prefer story-driven, improvisational systems to complicated mathy rulesets, so I think we could do some great stuff with it. But I have no experience.)

• Like x 2
  2. swirlingflight

swirlingflight inane analysis and story spinning is my passion

I've got copies of the Dresden Files game, which is based on FATE. And although I've never played it, I like the character design stuff and how it seems to fit into game play. It's like with Burning Wheel, I love games that give mechanical bases for the characters' personalities, and different benefits for playing with or against their nature/motives/etc.

• Like x 2
  3. Aondeug

Aondeug Cringe Annoying Ass Female Lobster

*breaks down your door*

FATE CORE SYSTEM.

• Like x 2
  4. paladinkit

paladinkit brave little paladin

Since I'm playing characters I imported out of this setting, I present for question to anyone else... anyone here ever played Interface Zero?

5. littlepinkbeast

littlepinkbeast Imperator Fluttershy

Dungeons: the Dragoning!
    Uh, okay, so imagine Rifts if it didn't suck on account of being a Palladium game. Imagine Exalted if it actually let you be as cool as it sounds. Imagine that both these things were mashed up with a system stolen from Warhammer Fantasy Roleplay, Legend of the Five Rings, White Wolf Storyteller, and D&D, with a setting based on Warhammer 40K, Planescape, Spelljammer, Mass Effect, and pretty much anything else you want to throw in. It's far, far more playable than it sounds from that description - like, it's actually a good system, not just decent, and ridiculously fun as long as you want to play ACTION HEROES and be FUCKING AWESOME. Not so good really for low-powered subtle realistic things. My meatspace group has been playing it with me GMing for a whole now and we've all been enjoying the hell out of the campaign.

I've also got a serious soft spot for R Talsorian's Cyberpunk 2020. It never got as well known as Shadowrun, but it's a less broken and clunky system, nice and smooth and playable for an early 90s game. Also, it's pure Future Eighties instead of a mashup of Future Eighties and Urban Fantasy, and I like that a lot better. Just leave out the cyberspace netrunning stuff, no one's ever made a good system for VR netrunning on account of how it's basically Forced Party Split if you even try it.

• Like x 3
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice