Saroblog

Discussion in 'Your Bijou Blogette' started by Saro, Dec 15, 2018.

1. Saro

Saro Where is wizard hut

upload_2021-8-8_23-47-32.png

half done

• Winner x 12
  2. Saro

Saro Where is wizard hut

sidenote: fuck the netting on cantaloupes holy sit what a pain to draw even as terribly as i did

3. Saro

Saro Where is wizard hut

upload_2021-8-10_3-43-41.png

• Winner x 9
  4. Saro

Saro Where is wizard hut

upload_2021-8-11_19-54-21.png

something something four elements in harmony

• Winner x 9
  5. Saro

Saro Where is wizard hut

me, looking at knitting/crochet patterns well beyond my skill level/budget/supplies: Hmmm I Will Make This Tomorrow

• Agree x 3
    • Like x 1
  6. Saro

Saro Where is wizard hut

calicosticker2.png
    "sticker" for genetics homework ft. Callie the Calico, genetics mascot

• Winner x 9
  7. Saro

Saro Where is wizard hut

I am doing it

I am reading the Wheel of Time ... series (tried to think of a number but i believe it goes into double digits and i don't know the version of trilogy for like.. 12 books). Almost the only reason why is that I follow a number of cosmere blogs and Brandon Sanderson finished/cowrote the final WoT books and people are talking about the upcoming amazon series and i'm like... well okay, i guess i'll read these

There is something very comforting about Proper Fantasy Book even if it's a bit boring right now. Kind of like Anathem, although obviously Anathem is not Proper Fantasy, but it was equally dull in a very soothing way for a lot of the book. Stephenson kinda ranges all over the map in terms of... dull to gripping. He should definitely stay out of genetics tho, stick to physics and whatever, because Seveneves absolutely ruined itself for me when the presumably relatively modern-day geneticist sat down with a bunch of people and was like "OK we're gonna make bespoke genetic lines for each of you and the first thing I'm gonna do is completely remove all genetic diseases from your genomes"

anyway i totally got off track but oh boy! High Fantasy! Coming of Age! A Young Male Hero! Dark Lords! just what you need in a fucking fantasy doorstop monstrosity. Currently already have a fun set up where apparently there is Male Magic and Female Magic and Never The Twain Shall Meet (although I don't know if I've even finished the first chapter so I should probably give it a bit of time to develop some of its themes and whatnot before I get too judgy). I've heard something about matriarchies in WoT so I'm hoping for some interesting worldbuilding in that regard. I anticipate that this will be painfully cishet and am looking forward to having queer headcanons.

Anyway. Current thoughts: I hope Rand never uses a sword. I get that swords are versatile and also probably symblematic (... i like the portmanteau of symbolic and emblematic) of heroism and bravery and personal strength and whatnot, but i am tired of them. if there's some sword of destiny bullshit i will aggressively close my epub reader and not read the book for a while to teach it a lesson.

• Like x 3
    • Agree x 1
  8. Saro

Saro Where is wizard hut

On a completely different note I found proof that I'm probably not mistaken about my sadly completely worn out favorite hoodie was indeed made by Obey

[​IMG]

That's the pattern! That's the pattern that was embroidered on my hoodie! I still wish I could find an actual picture of the hoodie (and like... one i could buy) but at least i feel less like i have been fooling myself for years

9. chthonicfatigue

chthonicfatigue Bitten by a radioactive trickster god

I think a twelve book series would be a dodecalogy? Never got into WoT and I'm interested in seeing your thoughts on it.

• Like x 1
  10. TwoBrokenMirrors

TwoBrokenMirrors Merely a whitebait in the mayo of life

I read like... maybe five? four and a half? of the wheel of time books in my teens before they got too dense and dark for me to continue really enjoying them. Mostly what i remember is a) one guy gets to go hang out with wolves in a really cool way but wastes most of it moping; b) Man Magic is super cursed; and c) the author had a weird tic where female characters were always described as 'cross[ing] their arms below their breasts'. Every time. Which I at least can't really do comfortably so I have no idea what cis male bullshit that is.

• Agree x 3
    • Like x 1
  11. Codeless

Codeless Cheshire Cat

Robert Jordan had some interesting writing quirks for sure, especially with his female characters. (I can cross my arms below my breasts, so we can possibly assume none of the characters had very much chest)

• Like x 2
    • Agree x 1
  12. Verily

Verily surprised Xue Yang peddler

My favorite is how they smooth their skirts though. I had a great time reading approximately the first half of those, but the ladies have super wrinkly laundry!

• Like x 2
    • Agree x 1
    • Winner x 1
  13. Saro

Saro Where is wizard hut

So far:
    • 1 gliding lady who has been compared to a swan multiple times, so i'm going to imagine that she can easily break a person's leg if she wants
    • 1 haughty childhood friend who is a girl and Obvious Early Love Interest
    • 2 other childhood friends; one of them is a trickster type and the other is solid and dependable
    • HONEYCAKES! ahh, the traditional High Fantasy sweet. I suppose it makes sense given that this seems to be set in a vaguely NW European climate; sugarcane probably isn't readily available and this village is described as basically being in the backend of nowhere. Honey also requires much less in the way of processing. HOWEVER! Rand and dad are described as having planted beets,. I want a fantasy story where the main sweetening agent is beet sugar. Then you could have beetcakes as the standard sweet staple.
      • Still on the subject of honeycakes: what are they? C'mon, RJord, give me more than that they apparently have honey and are heated up somehow. Are they baked? Fried? Boiled, a la a kind of sweet dumpling? Is the honey added after the fact as a kind of icing or is it incorporated into the batter? Are they yeasted? A kind of pancake? I want to know more about the cooking traditions of Whateverworld.
    • Horses described as matching their riders. I want a story where someone just has either a plain simple horse that doesn't complement them or a horse that's wildly different in character/appearance from them
    • Rand has (sigh) already used a sword
      • it talks about his dad going into another room and getting something out of a chest he never opens and I was like "okay then" because I just fuckin KNEW it was going to be a gotdamn sword
        • it does, however, have a heron motif, so that's okay i guess
    • I'm not sure what I'm supposed to take away from the spring festival being called Bel Tine, which obviously is a bastardization of Beltane, unless it's just like "oh people may know about Beltane, let's give them something to hang their hat on for this spring celebration's name". BUT MAYBE THIS IS ACTUALLY EARTH IN THE FAR FUTURE?
    • Eye color! I wonder if Branderson got some ideas re: Stormlight Archive from this.
    Also:

RJord: trolloc
    My brain: Troll OC

• Like x 2
  14. Saro

Saro Where is wizard hut

oh yeah, Dad is not just a simple farmer, calling it now

Actually called it as soon as it described him being like "here's how to [basically] meditate" but i forgot to make note of it

• Like x 1
  15. Saro

Saro Where is wizard hut

Should I mark WoT spoilers? I really don't feel like it.....

Anyway. What a way to find out you're adopted.

• Like x 1
  16. sirsparklepants

sirsparklepants feral mom energies

I know absolutely nothing about these books but I am enjoying your notes

• Agree x 3
    • Like x 1
  17. Verily

Verily surprised Xue Yang peddler

It's been a very long time so I only vaguely remember, but I'm also enjoying your notes.

• Like x 1
  18. Saro

Saro Where is wizard hut

:33
    • Swan lady (Moiraine) is an Aes Sedai and can do the magic thing
      • People really don't trust Aes Sedai at all and keep repeating that they do things for reasons, but not the reasons you might think
    • Trollocs (orc couterpart) after boys of a very specific age, so our three young men must leave the village
      • The Trollocs are lead by a Fade (called something else with a lot of D's and Y's that I can't remember and am too lazy to go find) which does have an interesting property of basically being a 2D thing and can go "lol i'm not here" by turn side-on to someone
      • Also like orcs, the trolloc are apparently corrupted from humans, or at least were
    • Someone is literally named Thorin and I'm like HELLO???? YOU CAN'T JUST NAME SOMEONE THAT IN YOUR HIGH FANTASY BOOK THAT'S PUBLISHED AFTER THE HOBBIT?????
    • Moiraine told a story about the area and there's some interesting stuff in it in regards to naming conventions - it seems like "al" and "ay" are used for men and women to denote ancestry. There are a lot of "al'[X]" names in the village; wondering if there's something there
      • Rand's last name is al'Thor, which may indicate that at least his dad is descended from some oldtime king described in Moiraine's story (although as he seems to basically be a war orphan of some sort who the fuck knows what's up with him)
    • Anyway, the upshot of all of this is that the three teenage boys need to leave with Moiraine and her guard so that more nasties don't descend on the village to try to get at them, and the whole thing is supposed to be so secret and then Egwene (haughty female childhood friend) pops up and is like "Shotgun" and then the bard-type who's been hanging around and speaking somewhat cryptically rolls up from the hayloft like "you can't buy my horse because i'm gonna be riding my horse" and so the traveling party has really expanded quite a bit
      • I had some sort of Thought while dozing off while reading and OH remembered! this section (running away in the night) reminds me a lot of the start of Fellowship - especially because pursuit is foiled by a ferry. Although in Fellowship I don't think they sunk the ferry after riding it across, which is what Moiraine did here. They paid the ferrymaster well but shit y'all, people need to get across the goddamn river probably??? like it fucks UP the islands if something happens to a ferry. One time we were trying to get down to Ashland, OR for the Shakespeare festival there and we almost didn't make it because shortly before the captain of one of the ferries coming into the island let his girlfriend (???) steer and she hit the dock. (At least, this is the story I heard.)
    • Egwene apparently is one of the very rare naturally blessed people who have access to the One Power and boy is she super super stoked to become an Aes Sedai!
      • Rand is Not Stoked
      • Apparently there are two powers that oppose each other and keep the ol' Wheel spinnin': saidin and saidir. The first is masculine and the second feminine. Apparently the first has also been "corrupted" ("like water with oil on it") and so men who can access it get fucked up by it. I guess there's some order that goes around and kills them ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
        • This Will Likely Never Come Up Again Or Have Any Significance In The Future
        • Also anytime they talk about the Wheel I'm like "ka?" because i've read the Dark Tower series
    • [​IMG]
      fuck ME RJord really just wanted to spite me in particular when writing these books (re: me being like "I hope no sword" and then two pages later RJord being like "and here's this fancy sword that's probably going to be a Thing for the whole rest of the series")
    ETA: how the FUCK did they know the kids' ages. really. no, really really really, there's a whole thing about how two other kids weren't targeted because their birthdays were several months ahead/behind Rand's, so this isn't just like "these three are the only ones who look 18 or whatever", this is like "these three are the only ones of the right age that were born within several WEEKS of each other"

Last edited: Sep 5, 2021
    • Winner x 2
  19. sirsparklepants

sirsparklepants feral mom energies

These guys need to work for the fantasy census bureau, goddamn. Get the king to hire them so they don't have to turn to crime to support themselves.

• Agree x 5
  20. Saro

Saro Where is wizard hut

WOLF BOY

CURSED KNIFE

POTENTIAL LAN/NYNAEVE ROMANCE???

• Winner x 1
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice