Saroblog

Discussion in 'Your Bijou Blogette' started by Saro, Dec 15, 2018.

1. Saro

Saro Where is wizard hut

Technically I don't know if the knife is cursed but it was from some sort of.... monstrous being's treasure horde that was bait to help the monstrous being escape a long-ruined city. I think I may have been half falling asleep while reading that part because I'm not super sure what the nature of the being was. Also Moiraine was telling the story of the history of the city and the evil within it and I tend to zone out a bit whenever something like that happens, whoops. But the kid carrying the knife (Mat) is all jumpy and defensive and not acting like what i am lead to believe he is like, so I'm saying CURSED KNIFE.

Perrin (the other non-Rand kid) is WOLF BOY and boy, he hates it! he doesn't WANNA understand wolves, because it's evil or something. I don't know. He and Egwene (which.... I think is pronounced more like Ogwain but is still just so unpleasant to look at) met up with a druid wolfman while on their way to Caemlyn, fell in with him and some wolves, got chased by 100 billion ravens, then got captured by evil holy paladin types. I think Murph mentioned at least stealing a name for NADDPod from WoT, and the Children of the Light very strongly remind me of Thiala's (sp?) army/followers in NADDPod. "For the Light!"

Magic in this world FUCKING sucks so bad. The men's half is tainted with nasty ick from Evil Man himself, but it's not like the women get it much better: if you use the power without training, it will probably kill you within 5 years of starting to use it. The Aes Sedai go out scouting for young women who have the talent, at least partially to save them, but they seem to be somewhat limited in number and can't be everywhere at once.... Also people do not LIKE the magic, nosir they do not, so you might get fucked anyway even if you don't die from using magic. Cool and fun! Becoming an Aes Sedai doesn't necessarily help either, because people sure as fuck hate THEM too! (Because... as far as I can tell... they have power, and they have reasons for doing things. Kind of like... many other people. I guess magic does make it a whole Thing tho.)

Speaking of, guess who seems to have a touch of the ol' ability to access power and use it? Three guesses and the first two don't count. It's our Rand! He called down lightning to get him and Mat out of a sticky situation, which could have just been a coincidence... but then he got the aftermagic lurgy, so it's like basically confirmed. He's already occasionally been acting weird as fuck, which may or may not have to do with the power.

Unfortunate WoT Names, Pt. 1
    • Egwene - i just hate it. I hate how it looks, I hate how it sounds in my head, I struggle every time to not say "Egg-wean"
    • Logain - is now Rogaine in my head and that's just how it be.
    • Ba'alzamon - sounds like a digimon.
    • Cenn Buie - how the FUCK am I supposed to say "Buie"? is it buoy? Bwee? Boo-eye? I don't like those vowels together
    • Elyas - not unfortunate except that the Y makes it super ambiguous in terms of pronunciation. Is it el-yasssss (queen)? or Elias (bouchard)?

• Like x 2
    • Agree x 1
  2. Verily

Verily surprised Xue Yang peddler

As far as I remember from my dad, who listened to the audiobooks, it’s eg as in egret, wene as in wayne, emphasis on wayne?

ETA: In practice the unstressed syllable seemed to work out to something between an ee and an ih. igWAYNE, but trying to be eegWAYNE.

Last edited: Sep 7, 2021
    • Informative x 1
  3. Verily

Verily surprised Xue Yang peddler

He says he thinks Cenn Buie is sin boo-ee, but it’s been a while.

• Like x 1
    • Agree x 1
  4. TwoBrokenMirrors

TwoBrokenMirrors Merely a whitebait in the mayo of life

Perrin was the one i mentioned who gets to hang out with wolves but spends most of it moping!
    man as a teenager i was so unimpressed with his attitude. who the fuck wouldn't want to hang out with wolves a bunch?

ETA: i think i added him to my List of Fictional Husbands that i had stuck up on the wall of my bedroom, but possibly only to access wolves through him

• Winner x 4
  5. Codeless

Codeless Cheshire Cat

Very important, wolf access.

• Agree x 5
  6. Saro

Saro Where is wizard hut

The reviews are in! WoT: not enough cats. So far, only 2 mentions of cats. Where are the cats, RJord???

• Agree x 3
  7. Saro

Saro Where is wizard hut

Lmao literally there was a third mention on the very next page I read.

Times cats mentioned in WoT: 3

• Winner x 3
  8. Saro

Saro Where is wizard hut

I want to have a record of stupid shit so I can have worthless stats about WoT

What else is good to keep track of.... hmm

9. Saro

Saro Where is wizard hut

Oh we have met the first incredibly beautiful man! Theres usually one somewhere about. His name is Galad and he is "almost too handsome for masculinity". I bet hes evil.

• Informative x 1
  10. Saro

Saro Where is wizard hut

Times cats mentioned in WoT: 4

Cats in the palace! A gray cat. Apparently the princess likes taking in strays, so it may be one of hers?

• Winner x 3
  11. Saro

Saro Where is wizard hut

Times cats mentioned in WoT: 5

A "brindle" cat. Does that mean tortoiseshell? Anyway, this one is enjoying some pets (!!) and being held by a person acting as a guard/watchman with the rather difficult name of Lamgwin

• Winner x 2
  12. Saro

Saro Where is wizard hut

Times cats mentioned in WoT: 6!!!

A plump tabby in a library.... what a perfect combination........

There seems to be a plot point happening re: rats suddenly getting out of control and cats being suddenly more valuable, so uhhhh. there may be a lot of cats from this point until... Logain is taken out of Caemlyn? Until Rand and Mat move on?

I am suddenly worried that I am going to have to read about some sort of harm being done to a cat and that is no good ): ):

• Agree x 1
  13. Saro

Saro Where is wizard hut

Times cats mentioned in WoT: 7

I.... don't know if RJord knows what a calico is. He refers to one as an "orange and white cat". that's no calico man, that's just your bog standard red with white spotting

• Winner x 2
  14. Saro

Saro Where is wizard hut

Times cats mentioned in WoT: 8

Black cat with white feet sleeping on what basically seems to be a firbolg from what I can tell

• Winner x 2
  15. chthonicfatigue

chthonicfatigue Bitten by a radioactive trickster god

A brindled or brinded cat is a striped cat or tabby! It's an extremely archaic term -- Shakespeare used it in MacBeth in the scene with the witches: "Thrice the brinded cat hath mew'd/Thrice, and once the hedge-pig whined". I'm not sure why he (Jordan) used the term when he later referred to a tabby. It's the same thing. Man doesn't know his cat patterns.

Last edited: Sep 11, 2021
    • Informative x 2
    • Agree x 1
  16. Saro

Saro Where is wizard hut

I read a lot without commenting, whoops

Times cats mentioned in WoT: ~12. Several more mentions during Caemlyn, and one at the Eye of the World (spoilers: we got there). No harm to cats was seen, so that's good.

Anyway, quick updates
    • Knife absolutely WAS cursed, or at least evil. Mat's sort of okay for the moment because Moiraine fixed him up a bit, but if the knife is taken away he dies, and if the knife is not taken away he turns evil again
    • Knife was also a homing beacon for Fades
    • The rest of the party showed up in Caemlyn
    • Cue immediate departure from Caemlyn, but not to Tar Valon (Aes Sedai HQ) - to Fal Dara, a place where the language is 100% based on Japanese
    • To get there they had to go through the Ways, your basic extradimensional travel space that connects places
    • Lan is a king or something but he eschews it in favor of being Moiraine's Warder
    • THERE ABSOLUTELY IS NYNAEVE/LAN ROMANCE BUT HE REJECTED HER BECAUSE HE'S NOT GOOD ENOUGH FOR HER (duty, no safety, etc., etc.)
    • Rand referred to as the "Child of the Dragon" by the Green Man who apparently guards the Eye of the World
    • The Eye of the World is a... representation? something? of the male magic (saidin, I think)
    • Only a male Aes Sedai can do shit with it
    • But there's no more of them!
      • Right????

• Like x 1
  17. Saro

Saro Where is wizard hut

Oh, I remember another point I was thinking about

What is it about "sha" and "go" together that make something Evil? There's Shadar Lo...goth and another one that involves those syllables in a similar kind configuration. Also I feel like I remember similar syllables from LoTR making up evil places. Is it all JRRT's fault? Instilling the idea that those sounds are Evil? or is it something deeper in the english language.....

• Informative x 3
  18. Saro

Saro Where is wizard hut

Thoughts on the end of Eye of the World....

It felt abrupt. There were so many more pages spent on Mat and Rand making their way from [city where Thom "died"] to Caemlyn than on the climax of the story. Just some travel through the Blight, finding the Green Man, finding the Eye of the World (magic saidin pool), getting accosted by Agin...ar? Aginor? and someone with a B-name who just came out of fucking nowhere to be like "yo going to do the Dark One's bidding (but also not because we have our own agenda)", Rand teleporting away from Aginor, meeting Ba'alzamon and killing him (???) or something, the reveal that Moiraine thought he might be able to touch the One Power because way back in the beginning when everyone was getting the heck out of dodge (Emond's Field) someone had already used magic to keep the horse Egwene was riding going and it wasn't Moiraine (who did all the other horses) and Rand had a vested interest in making sure that Egwene was safe. It feels very fast, almost rushed, and having some Bad Guys who we've had no introduction to as of the page they appear feels... jarring. Who are these guys??? Where are they from? They're Forsaken? What the fuck is that? (I don't remember if the term was "forsaken" or something else but you get the idea.)

Moreover, they get these fucking treasures from the pool (which drains... away? or something during Rand's magic showdown with Ba'alzamon), at least one of which is apparently extremely powerful (a horn that apparently... summons heroes? or something) and Moiraine out of nowhere is like "That needs to get to Ilian ASAP" and it's like HUH? WHY? We've heard of Ilian but we don't have any context for this, really. It just apparently needs to go there and maybe we're supposed to think that it's more of Moiraine's scheming and planning and having wheels within wheels (hah) that she turns to make things happen that she wants, but it still feels like it would have been good to have something in the text up to this point that may give a clue as to why it needs to go there or what Moiraine might want to have happen. On the other hand, maybe there was and I just totally missed it! Always possible.

Overall I felt the pacing was okay, I generally enjoyed the characters despite them falling fairly neatly into some Traditional High Fantasy Book Roles, I am somewhat interested in the worldbuilding despite the painful cishetness of some of it, and it is comforting to have a bunch of doorstop fantasy novels ahead of me. I could have done without some of the rather heavy-handed soliloquies relating world history, but ehhhh, fantasy. I also enjoyed seeing things that probably at least to some extent influenced more recent fantasy and BSanderson in particular, given that he must have been heavily immersed and involved with the world and the story in order to finish the series. Definitely some things stood out as potentially having influenced bits and pieces of the Stormlight Archives, for one. I'm interested especially in Nynaeve's and Mat's futures in the book... Nynaeve because she A) hates magic and B) can do magic, and Mat because he's Cursed Knife Boi.

Next up is The Great Hunt? The... Long Hunt? Something about a hunt. I got the audiobooks for listening instead of reading sometimes and this one is a single file instead of two, so maybe it's a shorter one. Guess we'll find out.

• Agree x 2
  19. Saro

Saro Where is wizard hut

Hunt starts off with Rand being angsty and not leaving as he planned to do because Moiraine won't talk to him? Which is kind of weird because he's afraid that she's going to use him/have him killed/"gentle" him (not quite sure what that is yet but it's what the Aes Sedai do to men who can touch the One Power and apparently it makes them kill themselves eventually) and so... why not leave... Maybe it's better to keep the snake in sight, as it were, rather than let it go about its own devices. In any case, he ain't leaving and Moiraine is doing her own thing, AKA bringing a whole squadron of Aes Sedai (including the Amyrlin Seat, head of the Aes Sedai) to [name of place that they are that I can't remember].

Second chapter has him trying to get changed and people stealing his clothes on Moiraine's orders and she's given him a bunch of fancy shit, but what distresses him the most is a cloak with a dragon embroidered on it, and that brings us to my thought, which is that A) if you find yourself part of an ancient prophecy, you might want to invest a little bit of your time into developing some sewing skills so that you can do things like take the embroidery off a cloak, and B) you should find yourself a seam ripper (or the fantasy equivalent thereof) and keep it in your pack for doing things like that

• Agree x 4
  20. Saro

Saro Where is wizard hut

Fellas is it gay to make a bow so thicc only you can draw it

• Winner x 3
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice