School - Community Vent

Discussion in 'Brainbent' started by ectoBiologist, Sep 9, 2016.

1. ectoBiologist

ectoBiologist I'm a wise guy

Hello, I think it'd be nice to vent about school together.

I'll start - SO MUCH READINGS NOT ENOUGH TIME AAAAHHHH

2. rigorist

rigorist On the beach

I didn't think it was possible, but textbooks have gotten even worse.

• Like x 1
  3. Kaylotta

Kaylotta Writer Trash

oh my good lord BUREAUCRACY. look. i know a lot of students are dumb as bricks, but it is ACTUALLY DRIVING ME BATTY that i don't register for my own damn classes. seriously. i've had this planned for two years, i know exactly which classes I need, and I HAVE MORE TIME THAN YOU DO.

• Like x 2
  4. ectoBiologist

Why the fuck aren't the textbooks listed for this class !?!?!?

5. Secret Squirrel

Secret Squirrel certainly something

I moved 3,300 miles across the fucking country because you fucks said I'd get a FULL TUITION WAIVER FOR MY TEACHING ASSISTANTSHIP.

But apparently it's okay to take those away from existing grad students WHO CAME HERE BECAUSE OF THAT and confuse them with ""credits"" that dont even say they don't give the full amount!!

So my ""free"" grad school now costs an additional $700 that I don't fucking have, on top of all the bullshit fees I had to pay anyway, so I have to borrow money from my Dad.

I'm also crying in the bathroom because the bursar was got condescending with me for not telling her something that I had told her 30 seconds prior.

At least my textbooks didn't cost that much this semester.

6. Kaylotta

Kaylotta Writer Trash

• Like x 1
  7. Saro

Saro Where is wizard hut

@Shingleback I am so sorry. That is seriously fucking shitty of them. And fuck condescending people.

• Like x 1
  8. Wiwaxia

Wiwaxia problematic taxon

Oh good lord yes. And lots of them now come with one-use access codes to the online materials you need to complete the course, so you buy them for over a hundred bucks but can only sell them used for like. Three.

• Like x 1
  9. rigorist

rigorist On the beach

Those online codes suck so much.

The best deal I ever got on a textbook was buying a used Constitutional Law book one edition out of date for something like five dollars. Con Law doesn't change very quickly for most of the basic stuff you learn in class. Aside from some changes to incidental material and page numbers, the only substantive change in the law was a fussy bit of State/Federal federalism relations that nobody cares about.

But there's more!

The prior owner had taken all her class notes in the margins of the book! This thing was like a Talmud. So I had a complete set of somebody else's notes for the class.

• Like x 5
  10. Secret Squirrel

@Kaylotta @Saro Mutual outrage helps me feel better, thank you.

Anyway, I told some other TAs, and they are similarly upset. Glad they didn't get bump from their classes because they owed $700 they didn't know about!!! >:(

• Like x 1
  11. Kaylotta

Kaylotta Writer Trash

good god, that's beautiful.

12. ectoBiologist

School is still kicking my tushy. And it's starting to chip away at my reserves. I feel like at this point, since I took out so many loans, it's finish school or bust. And I can't bust because finishing school means moving to Australia. I need to get out of this country if I am to survive. As an alter-able person, I face challenges in this country that scare me and make me think I can't survive in this ableist country. And that's not counting my trans-status, my queer status, and my latinx status in this country. Although the latter isn't too much of a sticking point since I pass as white. But yeah, school is hard and I just wanted to whine somewhere. :(

13. KingStarscream

KingStarscream watch_dogs walking advertisement

So whooooooo's ready to go back in like... a week? (If you aren't back already.)

I sure the fuck am not.

14. Saro

Saro Where is wizard hut

I'm not ready and I have to go back on Tuesday. I'm taking a course that's taught by my advisor, which is kind of nerve-wracking???

I also have to make up an exam from last semester that I missed due to hospital stuff.

15. Emma

Emma Your resident resident

I have to finish the last thing I need to graduate, and I need to hand it in, and I don't want to :( Life is uncertain after graduation, and that sucks :( I hate uncertainty with a passion.

16. ectoBiologist

I have to take the semester off :(

17. Secret Squirrel

@ectoBiologist I'm meeting with my advisor this week to discuss medical leave, so I may be in the same boat as you soon.

18. ectoBiologist

yeah mine is for medical leave as well

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice