School Problems/Hell Week

Discussion in 'General Advice' started by Petra, May 11, 2015.

1. Petra

Petra space case

I have to make an invertibrate collection for a final project for one of my courses, and on the two collection trips I flipped out and couldn't do much. I haven't had much time until the final week to go out collecting on campus, and I'm not even sure I can get into the locked classroom to get the nets. I don't know how other people keep getting in there! I've only got like 8 bugs so far and he said about 40 was a good number, and this is legit making me suicidal.

It's even worse because I'm only in 2 classes right now, I've finished my final project for one of them and turned it in, and I'll be finishing the other final project for my invertibrate biology class today. I would be less worried about this if I hadn't completely failed to do a 30 point project earlier in the semester because i scheduled it for when i assumed i could get into the classroom, and then couldn't even get into the building, and then didn't have the spoons to do it later for less points. A friend in the class said she could give me doubles of some of hers, but I don't have her email or anything so I don't know when she'd pass them over to me or if he'd notice if our collections matched up too much?

2. WithAnH

WithAnH Space nerd

The best thing to do in a situation like this is usually to get in touch with the professor, tell them exactly what's going on, and ask for an extension. I know that sounds overwhelmingly hard, especially when you're already having anxiety problems, but it often works.

If it is too close to the time when grades are due, you may be able to take an "incomplete" grade in the class, which your professor will update when you turn in the final project. I had to do this for two classes when I had a serious breakdown in grad school and the professors were both willing to work with me.

Except for the occasional dickbag, professors genuinely want to help their students succeed and don't get any kick out of failing you. But if you turn in something where you haven't done all the work yourself and they find out, they will have to fail you. Don't put yourself or them in that position.

Additional tip: if approaching the professor directly is too hard, try starting with your academic advisor if you're on good terms with them. They should know what your options are.

3. Petra

Petra space case

Finals are next week, so... I don't know if that will work.

4. WithAnH

WithAnH Space nerd

I mentioned the "incomplete" grade because that's how the grade would be handled if you needed an extension past the end of the semester - at least if your school works like the ones I went to. If you don't think you can get the project done and you won't pass the class without it, it's worth a try.

If you're pretty sure you can get the collection done if you can get the nets, then you're going to have to be a pest until you figure out how to get them. (Sorry.) Some things that might work: emailing the professor, TA, or department office (either to arrange a time the room will be open or to get the class list so you can email other students and ask them how they did it), going over to the building during regular school hours and asking the facilities people (they may be able to let you in during hours when the room wouldn't normally be open if you ask nicely), asking campus police to let you in (varies by school whether or not that will work).

Also, it does need to be said - don't harm yourself over this. I know you are feeling terrible and overwhelmed. But I think you will find that if you can ask for help, you will be surprised at how much people are willing to help you.

5. Petra

Petra space case

Okay. I'll try that stuff tomorrow. I'm just really bad at catching bugs - I managed to catch 4 things in 20 minutes the other time I did it, which doesn't sound bad, except that all that one escaped. So frustrating!

6. WithAnH

WithAnH Space nerd

I have no advice on bug-catching techniques. When you say the bugs escaped, I picture them bursting out of a poke ball. :(

Best of luck with the hunt!

Last edited: May 11, 2015
  7. Petra

Petra space case

The nets have wide mouths and the collections jars... don't. I'm not quite sure how to get from the net to the jar without them escaping.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice