seebs, please explain why you're doing the thing

Discussion in 'The Undercity' started by unknownanonymous, Mar 6, 2017.

1. unknownanonymous

unknownanonymous i am inimitable, i am an original|18+

what happened, and why do you believe it means that the forum should go read-only and/or be replaced?

• Like x 10
  2. Corvus

Corvus old fashioned hurgusburgus

Seriously. This is really weird to see all of a sudden with no warning or explanation. It's kind of freaking me out.

• Like x 10
  3. NevermorePoe

NevermorePoe Nevermore

I'm guessing that its due to the discussions of forum limitations in the meta threads, we want to do some things with the forums that aren't really possible in XenForo right now. Before speculating too much, we should wait for seebs to give us more information, the post was only made 15 minutes ago, after all.

• Like x 7
  4. shmeed

shmeed plant me

Yes also will I be able to delete old posts after this nebulous thing goes through, or should I delete what I need to now?

• Like x 5
  5. shmeed

shmeed plant me

I have a quite detailed ITA thread that I am very uncomfortable having archived without warning

• Like x 6
  6. emythos

emythos Lipstick Hoarding Dragon

what the hell does read only even mean
    that we can't interact with anything?

• Like x 2
  7. unknownanonymous

yeah. that we can read and archive the forum, but we can't interact with anything anymore.

• Like x 2
  8. TwoBrokenMirrors

TwoBrokenMirrors Succulent Vex Belly

I really desperately want reasons and more detailed explanations. Because right now I am frightened, flailing and quite frankly disturbed and a little bit disgusted.
    There's a lot of people on here who react incredibly badly to change, after all.

• Like x 5
  9. seebs

seebs Benevolent Dictator

Long story short:

Because there were no rules, and while we had guidelines, there was never any kind of "here is what you agree to in order to do this", we have a lot of conflicting cultures and expectations and ideals.

I am unwilling to continue running the forum this has been turning into. I can't just arbitrarily make rules retroactively. So at some point, if I want to have a community with any kind of actual requirements for participation, I need to have a clear division of "and if you want to use this part of this thing, you're agreeing to try to follow these rules".

As people have pointed out, if the people running the forum don't try to enforce any rules at all, the population will make up multiple conflicting sets of rules and enforce them with whatever tools they have available, which has worked out pretty badly.

So, I'm gonna have a rule. And there will be a way for people who aren't okay with that rule to keep access to all the existing threads and so on, because as I've always said, I'm not gonna take the data away if I can possibly avoid it. (I do need to make the backups better, though.) But there will be a point in the future where posting access is in some way contingent on agreeing to accept the forum rule(s), and being able to at least reasonably closely approximate following them. (Most likely, the fallback would be post moderation, because we do have users who genuinely can't comply reliably, and you can't run a forum for broken people if you can't accommodate broken people...)

• Like x 11
  10. seebs

I am not 100% sure how the software would handle the thing, but we'd process delete-thread requests the same way we do now.

• Like x 5
  11. mazarinedrake

mazarinedrake Well-Known Member

It's a shame the experiment didn't work out the way you wanted it to, but I think it was a good experiment despite that. Thank you for trying your best.

• Like x 11
  12. Petra

Petra space case

...PLEASE just add a rule to Kintsugi instead of making a new forum so you can say 'Kintsugi never had rules' or whatever. Please. Jumping back and forth to get data and having to restart all my rp stuff and all that stuff just makes me intensely uncomfortable and miserable.

• Like x 24
  13. Fucker

Fucker Well-Known Member

Seebs you whack absoulute madman this forum aint going to shit and this is a very drastic movie for some minor drama

• Like x 12
  14. what does 'not 100% sure' mean, in this context? thanks!

• Like x 1
  15. seebs

I'm not giving up yet, mind.

I think I have identified the minimum possible "rule" set to allow me to do things like deal more reliably with things like "people who tend to suicide-bait other people", etcetera. Because one of the real problems we had is that, early on, we didn't have any real plan for what to do, and it took a long time to evolve a system that, now, basically provides enough tools to mitigate and contain that kind of behavior.

But then we have all this history and baggage, and, well. You know how you walk into a room and forget why you're there? Your brain perceives Area Transitions and things like that, and treats new places as new in a way you can't do with "this is the same place".

• Like x 2
  16. unknownanonymous

do you know what that rule or those rules are likely to be?

i am scared by how you're ominously saying "there will be a Rule" and not specifying what rule you're planning on making. and my anxiety is telling me that, whatever that rule is, it will be perfectly caliberated to kick me out or ostracize me or otherwise hurt me or ruin what i like best about kintsugi or i will fail completely at following it.

• Like x 7
  17. seebs

It means I have never experimented with things like "forum set to read-only" and don't know whether or not delete privs still work in that case.

• Like x 1
  18. TwoBrokenMirrors

TwoBrokenMirrors Succulent Vex Belly

i'm tired
    okay so those are at least sort of decent reasons but it was still announced badly and i'm just fucking tired holy shit
    i'm out again once again drama has ruined a good mood

• Like x 4
  19. Petra

Petra space case

Yeah and that's the thing that's making me freak the flip out and my brain is telling me I'll lose all my friends and I don't have the spoons to move forums and I kind of want to stress puke! Which isn't your fault. But. please consider my suggestion.

• Like x 13
  20. shmeed

shmeed plant me

this is your forum and if this is not at all up for debate i understand that and will not argue further but - how would you feel about, instead of archiving the site and going forward with something new, a mandatory disclaimer check before posting? that every account (and subaccount) has to agree to a terms and conditions pop-up once before their post. (not for every post they make, just the first one after the terms are published)

• Like x 14
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice