seebs, please explain why you're doing the thing

Discussion in 'The Undercity' started by unknownanonymous, Mar 6, 2017.

1. Aondeug

Aondeug Cringe Annoying Ass Female Lobster

remember the only solution to life's problems is to burn everything down and cause a mass panic

• Like x 18
  2. seebs

seebs Benevolent Dictator

Okay, so, this is... pretty valuable feedback. So one of the things I've been pondering is whether it's better to have a "fresh start" or to have a forum which is clearly the same forum, but which has some kind of change or reshuffle to make it feel at least a bit new. And I think the answer is pretty clearly that "fresh start" is really undesireable to a bunch of people.

• Like x 21
  3. Petra

Petra space case

THAT SAID:

I do appreciate you warning us beforehand, Seebs. It would have helped if you had added an explicit reason to that post, but that's a good thing you did that I know isn't intuitive for you, so thank you.

• Like x 20
  4. Fucker

Fucker Well-Known Member

i stand still in my idea that youre pulling some WHACK bullshit seebs

• Like x 5
  5. Mendacity

Mendacity I’m meaner than my demons

On read only. How reliably can you delete after read only on xenforo? I'd imagine plenty, but still. No one knows what might come back to haunt them.

The problem is, along with the userbase that you're going to piss off (due to change, not liking the idea of doing this, ect) you'll probably have at least a 15 - 25% loss of users due to infrequent users (due to not knowing about the change then seeing it and deciding not to go beyond the read only forums). This hinges on how you do it, but I also don't think you'll have a huge difference in userbase activity.

Your users act dependent on what their cultural background is, and I mean that even in the internet sort. Forums are forums and people act the same pretty generally on all forums in my experience, rules or no rules people will push the envelope and drive you insane.

I think this is a poor decision on many levels but also on the level of a sudden change forced onto people with a variety of mental illnesses whom have varying levels of routine requirements / change hating. If you were doing this to an average forum I'd be begrudging but say whatever, but I do not think that this is a good choice. I mean, I personally won't be going to the new forum because I can't stand that particular way of doing things. I lose friends, even if we're all on the same accounts some people won't be there, and it doesn't feel right. Having the old forums archived isn't enough because I liked the fact that on Kintsugi I would never get fussed at for necroing

Now if someone says something that's relatable I can... maybe quote it??? Which isn't the same.

TL;DR: Threads being around but being read only is not threads being around, it's sad historical documents.

• Like x 23
  6. emythos

emythos Lipstick Hoarding Dragon

seconding
    fresh start is EXTREMELY UNDESIRABLE

• Like x 18
  7. seebs

Yes, I'm sure, and I have been trying, for quite a while. We've done a lot of announcements and guidelines and "no, really, this is what we mean", and @evilas posted that lovely bullet point list, and... Nah, it's not happening.

8. BaseDeltaZero

BaseDeltaZero Shitposting all night.

I'm a relatively new user, (and thus don't have much to lose), and I can understand the value of a new forum, as clearly, certain people do not want to be a part of a forum run by you. However, it would still be a very unpleasant thing to go through and runs the risk of causing total disaster, so... I kinda am in favor of keeping this forum with a modest increase in moderation, perhaps in the form of temporary probation to specific portions of the site?

EDIT: It might also be helpful to have major decisions run in a somewhat more... not necessarily democratic, but community driven, fashion. Imposing decisions without advanced warning is clearly causing problems.

Also consider expanding the moderation/administration team.

Last edited: Mar 6, 2017
    • Like x 10
  9. TwoBrokenMirrors

TwoBrokenMirrors Merely a whitebait in the mayo of life

i have tried so hard to be well-behaved all my life and all it's got me is ignored and this is just that. again.
    i don't want to have to scream and shout to get noticed i'm so fucking tired

because it's all tied up with drama and it's still tied up with drama and i have been avoiding the drama and anything connected to it because i hate it and i'm well fucking behaved

I'M SO TIRED OF BEING WELL BEHAVED. TIME TO START SUICIDE BAITING PEOPLE. IT'S OKAY BECAUSE I'M DOING IT TO COPE

• Like x 5
  10. Petra

Petra space case

I mean, have you tried adding rules to Kintsugi instead of a fresh start.

I'm going to take a walk before it rains, be back in about 15.

• Like x 14
  11. seebs

Admin-type delete would obviously still work, because there's no such thing as "read only", there's just "I've turned off posting permissions". I just don't know what happens if you try to delete-own-post in a forum that you can't post in, because XF's permission system is weird.

And my current plan for how to do the thing would not be "this site becomes read-only", it would be "the existing forums get moved into a read-only section and new forums are created".

• Like x 5
  12. TwoBrokenMirrors

MY TURN TO HAVE A PUBLIC SCREAMING BREAKDOWN NOW
    AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA

• Like x 13
  13. Fucker

Fucker Well-Known Member

GOD tho maybe enforce your rules a bit better?? make them clearer?

this is like making a small town and nuking it into orbit once someone goes shoplifting i stg

• Like x 11
  14. vuatson

vuatson [delurks]

Please don't make the forum read-only. I'm not even that active on here but this place is at least 60% of my social life. If it was gone there's literally no other place I could go that would be the same, or as good. You may not think the experiment is successful, but this has been an amazing place for me and many others.

• Like x 17
  15. TwoBrokenMirrors

IF I PERFORMATIVELY WAIL ENOUGH AND SAY HORRIBLE ENOUGH SHIT WILL THINGS GO MY WAY????? I'VED TRIED ALL THE OTHER WAYS AND THEY DON'T FUCKING WORK

• Like x 9
  16. unknownanonymous

unknownanonymous i am inimitable, i am an original|18+

*screams with you*

• Like x 5
  17. leo

leo Well-Known Member

goddammit, seebs

• Like x 10
  18. emythos

emythos Lipstick Hoarding Dragon

ONCE AGAIN, THIS
    this isn't an experiment for the people connecting on here, this is a place that people connect and chat and get help

• Like x 23
  19. Morgan Jae

Morgan Jae pecure. sontain. crotect.

dont fucking remake an entirely new forum what the fuck

• Like x 8
  20. spockandawe

spockandawe soft and woolen and writhing with curiosity

Additional datapoint that fresh start is extremely undesirable. Even having been wading into the forum fires lately, and understanding where a lot of the major players are feeling the problems, and frequently having strong opinions about all of it, I've been largely fine. The idea of kintsugi Stopping and having to change to a new place and losing friends and contacts and having old posts be Somewhere Else that isn't my current environment... that set off a bit of a panic spike, and I'm still awfully worked up and upset.

• Like x 18
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice