seebs, please explain why you're doing the thing

Discussion in 'The Undercity' started by unknownanonymous, Mar 6, 2017.

1. LadyNighteyes

LadyNighteyes Wicked Witch of the Radiant Historia Fandom

...Yeah, last time I could find it was anonymous. They deleted all their posts, because they always do that, but somebody mentioned the account name in the thread.

2. KingStarscream

KingStarscream watch_dogs walking advertisement

If you're talking about @anonymous, they seem to delete their posts after a day or two and mostly do drive-by trolling with greentext and reaction images. The couple of times people have engaged with them sincerely, they panic and back off pretty quickly? Though post moderation at that point is still a good idea, I think that most of their shit-stirring happened during the 'no moderation unless asked for' period, so there haven't been new reports submitted.

The only other one who's done the political shitstirring was someone who'd stated an intent to be a "horrible bully" in one of the Advice threads.

• Like x 3
  3. LadyNighteyes

That miiight be the person I can't remember blocking, but that thread appears to have been deleted and they have their profile set to private, so I can't tell if it's the same person or not.

4. seebs

seebs Benevolent Dictator

yeah, i think there was another one, but they seem to have chilled since then, and it was pretty clearly a panic reaction

5. prismaticvoid

prismaticvoid Too Too Abstract

That was Laz. Idk if I should @ them or not?

6. seebs

no point, they requested a ban a while back

7. furrylatula

furrylatula a pissed off homestuck girl

i think people deserve to be notified if theyre being talked about

• Like x 1
  8. Lizardlicks

Lizardlicks Friendly Neighborhood Lizard

Yeah that's Laz, and he hasn't really followed through with that declaration as far as I can tell, unless Anonymous is a sock account.

9. prismaticvoid

prismaticvoid Too Too Abstract

Fair enough.
    (Hmm, just tried and I can't @ them, they may have left?)

10. KingStarscream

KingStarscream watch_dogs walking advertisement

I wasn't positive (because I couldn't find the thread I'd remembered and @'ing them didn't work) so thank y'all for confirming.

11. LadyNighteyes

Anonymous was active way before he was, so I don't think so.

12. winterykite

winterykite Non-newtonian genderfluid

-2 pages late with breakfast-
    That is why I suggested the timeout-button earlier in the thread. Post moderation still allows the moderated person to look at the fire, while simultaneously slowing down their response because it has to be moderated. I'm a layperson in psych regards, but I know how I am when in a panic state -- slowed response and people harping on stuff you technically already answered but no one can see it yet, and it gets buried in a fast-moving thread? Yeah, that's even more of a loss of control.
    The timeout-button would properly remove them from the situation.

... I was about to suggest doing something wrt subaccounts and was trying to figure something out because I'm the sort of person who likes to hang out in the SPR with one of my subaccounts if I need a break, but that wouldn't be possible if I couldn't use any, but having subaccounts accessible might be enough for someone in a freakout spiral to continue.
    And then I saw your response ::P
    But yeah, the damage control takes precedence.

This post got me thinking a bit more. For one, it references our old "need instant solutions" versus "need time to wind down and hash things out" problem, and how the "instant solutions" thing is... not possible most times.
    On the other hand I am not sure how you would implement a dynamically timed timeout button without it being a horrible spoon drain because multiple buttons for different time periods requires a decision tree that might not be possible during low spoon/panic situations, but it's possible that 2 hours is too short.
    Maybe mod alert that someone hit the timeout button so the person can be checked up on, and the timeout manually extended? Hm.

• Like x 2
  13. seebs

Timeout button would be a neat idea.

14. Lizardlicks

Lizardlicks Friendly Neighborhood Lizard

I think 2 hours would be s good start for most people. it's a good base line for "how bad is it." My (admittedly limited) experience with triggers is that while not 100% two hours is probably enough time to take a breather a get back into a better place. That's kind of just a regular trigger and not a spiral though (I haven't any experience with that at all).

• Like x 3
  15. seebs

So it turns out to be super hard to do; there's nothing like this that I can find. The closest would be to hijack the "paid upgrade" system to charge $0 for an "upgrade" to an effectively-banned group. But that's in day increments.

16. VJ Wocky

VJ Wocky 34 Somnolent Void Seeks Perfection in Dissonance

yeah, if possible, a 2 hour time out does usually help. even in cases like the one i had where it lasted for about a week. it may not stop it, but it can help to defuse the situation so it doesn't last quite as long as it might otherwise

that was part of why that particular incident lasted so long for me. since it was in meatspace, i didn't have a way to get away from it long enough to come down from it until a completely separate incident overrode the altered state and allowed me the clarity i had been lacking before.

and for a comparatively less severe outburst/trigger/meltdown 2 hours is usually about how long it takes to calm down enough to realize There Was A Problem and start self care so the process of apologizing and making amends and finding Preventative Measures can start

• Like x 2
  17. VJ Wocky

VJ Wocky 34 Somnolent Void Seeks Perfection in Dissonance

ooo, relevant!
    chiomi linked this in discord
    its a website blocking app that allows you to block off access to a specific site for a number of hours you choose up to 24 hours

i, also, don't know if it is free or requires payment of some sort but if one instance of this exists there may be others that could serve a similar function

and while not quite as streamlined as a timeout button on-site, it might still be useful for what we're talking about

• Like x 2
  18. Xitaqa

Xitaqa Secretly awesome

If there's no way to make a timeout button, maybe it would be helpful for the mods monitoring the queue to be proactive in encouraging folks to take a break if they notice a lot of activity in one thread/recognize a fast moving thread that is likely to be That Sort of Situation.

Also, is there a way to put an entire thread on moderation or provide some similar slowdown effect like limiting each user to one post per x minutes within a given thread? And if it's possible to do, does anybody think there might be some good achieved by a moderator stepping in to say "this thread is getting awfully heated, I'm gonna put it on cooldown for an hour"?

Like, i would imagine it could give people less of a feeling that they have to post right away before the thread moves on, enabling them to take their time expressing themselves, and maybe help people feel like they can take a break, eat a snack, rehydrate etc without missing out. Conversely, it might be really annoying for people who really want to stay in the midst of the conversation - and also it might not even be possible to do.

• Like x 2
  19. IvyLB

IvyLB Hardcore Vigilante Gay Chicken Facilitator

I know from experience that getting forced to slow down like this would likely piss me off enough to pettily make a new thread to have a trashfire in, until the mods slow that one down too, repeat cycle ad absurdum.

• Like x 2
  20. Lissa Lysik'an

Lissa Lysik'an Dragon-loving Faerie

Yup - during a rage spiral the only safe thing to do to me is shut me up and stop me from interacting at all until the meds kick in - but that's me. Slowed response time would add to the rage in the meantime. Probly why I have a guardian watching my net interactions :D

• Like x 2
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice