seebs, please explain why you're doing the thing

Discussion in 'The Undercity' started by unknownanonymous, Mar 6, 2017.

1. spockandawe

spockandawe soft and woolen and writhing with curiosity

I think that limiting thread post rate might have been suggested in one of the older threads? I might not be remembering that right. But I don't think it turned out to be a viable option there, and it's the kind of weird, nichey setting that I don't think would be likely to be included in the forum software.

• Like x 1
  2. seebs

seebs Benevolent Dictator

Throttles upset people a lot, and there's structural problems. I mean, you can have a global setting (and there is one) for minimum time between posts, but it's only really useful for preventing actual spam.

• Like x 1
  3. Lizardlicks

Lizardlicks Friendly Neighborhood Lizard

I don't know if that's a problem per se if you're just.... having your own trash fire? idk if other people would jump in and fan the flames but like, say if it was a blow up starting to escalate in a big main thread with lots of people that would jump in, but the whole thread gets placed on mod lock and you wander off to start a new thread, only a few people would follow over. And then if THAT started turning into a blow up mods could start putting specific users into mod queue.

• Like x 2
  4. seebs

Locking the whole thread has very different effects than throttling individual users. If other people can talk and you can't, that's a personal offense. If no one can talk, that's a cooldown for everyone, and it affects the people you're mad at too, and is usually okay.

• Like x 4
  5. Lissa Lysik'an

Lissa Lysik'an Dragon-loving Faerie

I said that already :)

6. Maya

Maya smug_anime_girl.jpg

Temporary locks for that kind of situation are usually the preferred course of action on other forums (meaning I'm pretty sure Seebs has seen it used a million times in the past). (I'm talking like one hour at maximum.) I've not seen much that could warrant mod action like that though, the only situation I can see it being particularly useful is when requests to take it elsewhere are ignored via being lost in the flood. Of course, that comes with the caveat of not having nearly enough mods to cover nearly enough hours of the day to sift through long threads to see if a debate gone sour needs to be taken somewhere else, unless Seebs is willing to hire more mods for the express purpose of flood control like that.

Fake edit: I can also see it being useful for flood control where a debate with a moderated user is concerned, so that that moderated users posts don't get lost. Temp lock the thread so the modded posts can go through, then unlock it once they've all been approved, and continue from there? I'm thinking this for threads strictly along the lines of the Sorting Stuff Out thread.

7. seebs

Okay so.

MAD SCIENCE TIME.

I think it's possible to set a thread-or-forum to "moderated".

• Like x 6
  8. Maya

Maya smug_anime_girl.jpg

[​IMG]

• Like x 7
  9. seebs

forums yes, threads no

But we could, say, have a forum in which ALL replies are moderated, and move threads there temporarily or something.

Basically, we're going to try to improve the toolbox and find things that help, because there are so many things we could do that aren't just "punish people".

• Like x 13
  10. Lissa Lysik'an

I think @seebs is into her geek mode and having fun figuring out how to do the thing.

• Like x 12
  11. mazarinedrake

mazarinedrake Well-Known Member

Definitely more fun than seebs being in her stressed-out robot mode. *sage nod*

• Like x 8
  12. IvyLB

IvyLB Hardcore Vigilante Gay Chicken Facilitator

i would propose putting That Could Have Gone Better on moderation but afaik that part of the forum is almost never actively on fire and people don't speak over eachother in there THAT often?

• Like x 2
  13. seebs

Yeah.

It just weirds me out that there's people who look at Angry Fussy Seebs and think "ah-hah this is the True Nature Of Seebs, it will always really be like this". And then when I'm calmer, they assume that this is somehow a "facade" or something and doesn't count. But which of those states is the one in which I actually do the things, and which is the one where I grump a lot and then carefully don't do things because I know I make bad decisions when I'm angry.

Like, yeah, if people specifically poke me until I get mad, I will get mad, and... okay? That's actually pretty normal?

And there's a feedback loop, because the people talking shit about me for being human and not being Sufficiently Awesome All The Time are the main reason I get grumpy, and if they'd just stop being assholes to me, or ever apologize for it later, I'd be much less grumpy in the first place...

• Like x 7
  14. seebs

That's... actually maybe a good idea, though, because it's also a place where there's a particularly large chance of people already being in bad moods, traffic is really low, and random third parties jumping into stuff has been an occasional source of distress.

• Like x 4
  15. Lissa Lysik'an

That one was usually the more civil argument place (before I figured out how to ignore forums and ignored it). It was arguments in other forums that was causing stress to many peoples (including me).

16. IvyLB

Yeah that is the problem. I'm... not sure at which point it is useful to tell people to take it to TCHGB to quarantine the fightyness? Especially because i worry about it going too far into the direction of "Every sign of anger however tiny makes people tell you to shove off" which would be p tone policing-y

• Like x 2
  17. Lissa Lysik'an

Yup - I get all stressed at seeing stuff that looks like fighting to me - then I get all ticked off if someone tells me I am being fighty. Is a hard balance.

18. Lissa Lysik'an

I am going to kill some zombies in NWN2 so the lizards can have a home. The townspeople can go F-off, they're all dumb anyway.

• Like x 6
  19. palindromordnilap

palindromordnilap Well-Known Member

The "True Nature Of Seebs" thing reminds me of some Tumblr post I saw once, about how neurotypical people/people without personality disorders tend to assume people they perceive as angry are expressing the opinions they secretly have all the time but are pretending to be nicer when they're calmer, while this is obviously not the case for many mentally ill people, such as people with personality disorders.

• Like x 4
  20. IvyLB

I'm... the asumption makes sesne to me? I can try to explain from my perspective, hold on bear with me...
    So I have like zero sense of who I actually am as a person. I know what my hobbies are and sometimes I even vaguely remember how I look, but personality traits? fuck if I know. But one thing I do know about myself is that observably, I have some pretty fucking cruel impulses sometimes. But because my brain can't actually tell what traits are really "me" so to speak (the self is an arbitrary construct anyway and everything is fake and reality doesn't exist-) and I am also really prone to self-loathing, it's a lot easier for me to conceptualize it as "The cruel and mean thoughts and impulses are actually me, the acting considerate and attempts at friendliness are a ~facade~"
    And then there is that human impulse to project thought processes and experience-of-self on others because it's really really difficult to actually attempt to think as someone else? So the brain likes the short cut of assuming that most people think the same way as you do in order to predict actions. This is wrong a lot, but when did brains ever care about that.
    Obviously this is just my experience and I may be totally off base when it comes to the reason for the people actually saying this kind of stuff? -shrug-
    Yeah if you put it like that it might be a good idea to just do it for the preventative benefits even though it's not "necessary" from the thread speed angle.

• Like x 4
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice