seebs, please explain why you're doing the thing

Discussion in 'The Undercity' started by unknownanonymous, Mar 6, 2017.

1. TwoBrokenMirrors

TwoBrokenMirrors Merely a whitebait in the mayo of life

lovely. everything i've done on this forum is now sediment. i love it

• Like x 7
  2. IndigoRiffRaff

IndigoRiffRaff FACE GOD AND WALK BACKWARDS INTO HELL

people are gonna do dumb shit whether or not you make us restart all the threads we're fucking currently using

• Like x 19
  3. vuatson

vuatson [delurks]

Also @seebs I believe your impression of how much drama there is and how much the drama affects an average forum member may be inflated. You are a mod and thus are aware of if not entangled with almost every instance of drama that goes down. For most forum members this isn't true. I think you may have an impression of the building crashing down around you which is inaccurate. For most people it's just a normal building that makes some creaky noises now and then.

• Like x 23
  4. TwoBrokenMirrors

THAT WAS SARCASM STOP TELLING ME I'M UNIMPORTANT BECAUSE I'M NOT A FUCKING DRAMA MONGER
    I CAN BE A DRAMA MONGER
    HERE I AM
    MONGERING DRAMA
    STILL NOBODY IS LISTENING

• Like x 5
  5. TheOthin

TheOthin skipped to campaign 2 for the tieflings

What exactly would this accomplish? If you want to make it look like a fresh start while retaining functionality, it sounds like it would be just as effective to just rename everything or something. Which is still plenty questionable.

• Like x 5
  6. Mendacity

Mendacity I’m meaner than my demons

Gonna be a bit word picky, because I know the word 'Warning' set a lot of people off: Discussions, Ideas, ect. Warnings tend to be set in stone, a thing just happens after a warning. Loud noise warning? Loud noise happens.

Sorry I just think that word choice was poor and is what caused a lot of the upset reaction here. Beyond, you know, people not liking the idea.

• Like x 14
  7. mazarinedrake

mazarinedrake Well-Known Member

The sense I'm getting from all this chatter is that a lot of people don't think a discontinuity is necessary to adapting to a new forum climate under The One Rule (tm). @seebs , can you maybe talk more about why you think a discontinuity is necessary or maybe consider that it's not as important as you think it is? Because that seems to be thing that's really upsetting people, not the idea that moderation policy is going to change (though I know I saw at least one person a few pages back express the concern that a Rule would lock them out of participating entirely, so we probably also need some discussion about what kind of rule you want to put in place, as well).

• Like x 15
  8. emythos

emythos Lipstick Hoarding Dragon

yeah like, i only notice drama cause i specifically look for it, like an idiot

• Like x 13
  9. TwoBrokenMirrors

STAMPS FOOT AND SCREECHES
    STOP RUINING EVERYTHING EVERYTHING ELSE IN MY LIFE IS ALREADY RUINED AND I DON'T WANT THIS RUINED ON TOP OF EVERYTHING ELSE
    I WANT MY FEELINGS CATERED TO FOR A GOD
    DAMN
    FUCKING
    CHANGE

• Like x 6
  10. IndigoRiffRaff

IndigoRiffRaff FACE GOD AND WALK BACKWARDS INTO HELL

also like. can we please ACTUALLY BE TOLD WHAT The One Rule (TM), y'know, ACTUALLY IS so we can know if it's drastic enough to warrant htis

• Like x 13
  11. Maya

Maya smug_anime_girl.jpg

Please, please calm down. I feel the brainbugs that fuel the "I must be as bad as person x to get attention" idea but I need you to calm down. Self destructing to that point isnt worth it. Please take a break, please?

• Like x 8
  12. mazarinedrake

mazarinedrake Well-Known Member

But that's also true under the current forum, where drama and old threads get pushed to the bottom of the page as new ones are made. So I'm not sure this argument really holds water in favor of a complete reset.

• Like x 15
  13. TwoBrokenMirrors

HEY YOU KNOW WHAT I SHOULD REALLY SELF CARE RIGHT NOW BECAUSE I'M PUSHING MYSELF INTO AN ACTUAL MELTDOWN IN WHICH I WILL SAY THINGS I WILL GENUINELY REGRET
    BUT I'M NOT GOING TO BECAUSE WHAT FUCKING GOOD HAS IT EVER DONE ME? I WITHDRAW AND PEOPLE FORGET I EVER FUCKING EXISTED
    NOTHING I SAY WILL MAKE A GOD DAMN BIT OF TINY FUCKING DIFFERENCE EVER ANYWHERE SO I MIGHT AS WELL JUST ACTULLY MELT DOWN BECAUSE WHY NOT?????? I'M SICK OF BEING WELL BEHAVED

• Like x 1
  14. TwoBrokenMirrors

thank you for being sane but i don't feel like being kind to other people or to myself right now. it's not even brainbugs at this point i'm just tired of pretending i'm a polite person

15. theambernerd

theambernerd dead to all sense of shame

I'm less distressed than other people about this but it's undesirable and from my pov unnecessary. Like, I don't really want to have to restart all the threads and shit. and i know i usually don't have spoons to go to a whole new website to try and find old posts.

also i've literally only found the drama when i've gone looking for it, i know the people who are greatly affected by it are valid too but it literally feels to me like, like.. the building shook for a bit, settled down for a few days, and then when the settling finished the manager decided the best way to make the building stop shaking sometimes is to bulldoze it.

• Like x 21
  16. Chiomi

Chiomi Master of Disaster

If everything current is moved to a read-only subforum here, then we have a fresh start on top of existing stuff: there will be discontinuity in that posting post-archiving means taking a look and and accepting new rules. There will be a discontinuity, but one that preserves the old while still being a sharp delineation between the old and the new.

• Like x 2
  17. BaseDeltaZero

BaseDeltaZero Shitposting all night.

Quite. I have literally never seen the actual drama, only drama about the supposed drama that happened... somewhere? If it weren't for the shutdown I would have no idea anything was happening.

• Like x 11
  18. TwoBrokenMirrors

PSYCHE I'M ACTUALLY A DICK AND NONE OF YOU KNEW IT BECUSE NONE OF YOU EVEN FUCKIBNG KNEW I EXISTED BECAUSE I'M SMALL AND MOUSY AND SCARED
    TIRED OF BEING SCARED
    ALL THIS IS BULLSHIT AND I DESPISE LITERALLY EVERYONE WHO WAS INVOLVED IN THIS FUCKING DRAMA FOR RUINING IT WHEN I WAS TRYING TO BE A QUIET AND CONSIDERATE USER

• Like x 4
  19. Snitchanon

Snitchanon What's a mod to a nonbeliever.

Fair.

Our trained team of typewriter monkeys is currently trying to make the wording as unambiguous as possible.

In short? "Please don't be a dick."

• Like x 7
  20. seebs

seebs Benevolent Dictator

You know, that's a fascinating question. One of the concerns I have is specifically that various failures-to-have-any-rules have resulted in a lot of people just plain abandoning the forum, or hanging around in the periphery but not feeling safe posting.

... Caps notwithstanding, this is actually a pretty legit request.

So I'm gonna think about this. I have to spend some time on other things, and this is gonna need think time, but: Yes. Your feelings matter and I am gonna think hard about that and see if there's anything I can think of to let me get the intended results with less disruption.

• Like x 18
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice