seebs, please explain why you're doing the thing

Discussion in 'The Undercity' started by unknownanonymous, Mar 6, 2017.

1. Anomal(eee)

Anomal(eee) Grumblepunk Gremlin

So, basically some administrative reshuffling of the forum layout + a set of terms that forum members agree to in order to participate

That is a minor enough difference that it wouldn't bother me, but it's also a minor enough difference that I don't really see the point in doing it- it just seems like it would make extra work for you with little difference. I think something like doing a sticky "so these are the rules" or something would be enough, and then something like a "yes, I'm opting in" thing, if that's a feature at your disposal so you can get people's agreement.

ETA wow ninja'd all to hell and back, but leaving this up just to increase sample size of opinions

Last edited: Mar 6, 2017
    • Like x 10
  2. devian

devian Well-Known Member

That and it was announced as "a thing that is going to happen for sure", rather than "a thing Seebs really wants to do and wants some input on", which seems to be a more accurate description at this point.

And because it was just announced as "suddenly the forum is going away for no apparent reason!", and people had to make this thread and yell at Seebs for answers instead of Seebs just telling everyone what the hell was actually happening in the first place.

Putting more thought into the announcement and discussion thereof would have prevented a large portion of this outcry happening now :/

Last edited: Mar 6, 2017
    • Like x 15
  3. TwoBrokenMirrors

TwoBrokenMirrors Merely a whitebait in the mayo of life

fuck you fuck you fuck you fuck you fUCK YOU FUCK YOU FUCK YOU FUCK YOU FUCK YOU FUCK YOU FUCK YOU

• Like x 1
  4. rigorist

rigorist On the beach

Unless you purge your user base, you're just gonna have the same shit on a different forum.

• Like x 24
  5. IndigoRiffRaff

IndigoRiffRaff FACE GOD AND WALK BACKWARDS INTO HELL

I...... really don't think "please don't be a dick" requires majorly disrupting the entire forum, but ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

• Like x 18
  6. Aqua Vitae

Aqua Vitae put some honey and sea water by your bed.

hahahahahahahahahahHA

• Like x 4
  7. electroTelegram

electroTelegram Well-Known Member

IF I WANT TO DELETE THINGS SHOULD I DO IT NOW?

using caps to hopefully get attention, and then an answer: do i have a time to get things off kintsugi? do i have time to report threads for deletion? how soon is this going to happen?

ive had a bad day, made pizza, felt slightly better, now this. im in the mood to stomp and scream.

• Like x 1
  8. TwoBrokenMirrors

TwoBrokenMirrors Merely a whitebait in the mayo of life

thank you
    having been acknowledged, I am now actually going to go and do some actual self care.

• Like x 11
  9. cleverThylacine

cleverThylacine cuddles for the weird and the fierce

Do we know how many people actually left for that reason? People leave forums for lots of reasons.

• Like x 8
  10. mazarinedrake

mazarinedrake Well-Known Member

An idea which is clearly causing a lot of stress to several members of the forum. So why is this necessary, exactly? What would the pay-off be that makes it worth all this distress?

Seebs' feeling seems to be that people will ignore the new rule without some kind of break in normal practice, but making an official announcement of the rule AND ENFORCING IT will also constitute a break, while (at least in theory) causing less stress. In fact that's exactly what several people are asking seebs to do instead. So why don't she and the other mods just do that instead of messing with the sub-structure of the forum and permissions and all that?

• Like x 16
  11. Snitchanon

Snitchanon What's a mod to a nonbeliever.

I would say no. There will be later warnings over longer periods if anything drastic is to be done.

• Like x 1
  12. Morgan Jae

Morgan Jae pecure. sontain. crotect.

theres no reason to separate old shit from new shit
    and i for one am incredibly uncomfortable with the idea of not having my own delete permissions for my own stuff

• Like x 13
  13. electroTelegram

electroTelegram Well-Known Member

i am under impression the banner notification was the warning for a drastic thing.

• Like x 10
  14. Morgan Jae

Morgan Jae pecure. sontain. crotect.

also congrats ive been a fairly stable person for the months that ive been on here and now. screaming

• Like x 2
  15. unknownanonymous

unknownanonymous i am inimitable, i am an original|18+

like, in undertale, the human achieves the pacifist ending and the monsters are all happy and want the pacifist ending to continue being a thing, but the human just can't be content with it for some reason and decides to reset. and you know what? none of the monsters wanted them to reset! they were content with the ending! sure, it probably wasn't perfect-perfect, but it was good enough, itmade them happy, and the human just tore it away.

you're the only one who wants this seebs, seriously!

• Like x 13
  16. seebs

seebs Benevolent Dictator

The banner warning is for the possibility that there could at some point in the future be a drastic thing, but that would probably be months out, but I'm still trying to figure things out.

• Like x 1
  17. shmeed

shmeed plant me

@seebs i feel like this post may have gotten buried in this very fast-moving thread, have you considered this approach for a less disruptive change

• Like x 12
  18. Petra

Petra space case

I will say Seebs is not the only person who wants this or is okay with this. But Seebs is also paying attention to the people who aren't okay with it. I'm gonna give her some time to chew on this and make another proposal.

• Like x 13
  19. devian

devian Well-Known Member

Seebs's upheavel thread also says "in the next week or two". This contradicts what you are currently saying.

Mods, please get your story straight behind the scenes before you declare things to the userbase *rubs temples*

fake edit:
    ...then why does the other thread... say...

I am so confused right now.

• Like x 13
  20. Snitchanon

Snitchanon What's a mod to a nonbeliever.

It is one of the options on the table, software permitting. Thank you for the input.

• Like x 6
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice