seebs, please explain why you're doing the thing

Discussion in 'The Undercity' started by unknownanonymous, Mar 6, 2017.

1. seebs

seebs Benevolent Dictator

I note, right now, there's only limited delete permissions on own posts anyway, I think you get a window in which you can delete things, after that it's only edits. We do, however, accept requests to nuke specific threads, and always have. (With some limits on threads with lots of participants, etc.)

2. Petra

Petra space case

Okay, I've given the input I want to give. please let us know when you've got another plan worked out/you've refined what you want to do, Seebs, and I'll give more feedback then. going to step out from this thread for now.

• Like x 5
  3. TheOthin

TheOthin skipped to campaign 2 for the tieflings

It may be helpful to update the post that's linked by the big banner thing everyone is getting pointed to, to clarify as best as possible to people newly discovering this whole thing where things are at right now.

• Like x 10
  4. BaseDeltaZero

BaseDeltaZero Shitposting all night.

'Don't Be Dick' is a good starting point and I'm fine with it, but it might be worthwhile to have an actual discussion of what rules might be implemented and how they could be enforced in a way that neither leaves people feeling vulnerable from other users or fearful of mod crackdown.

Judging from the storm going on on discord, the exact content of rules does seem to a significant concern?

• Like x 9
  5. Mendacity

Mendacity I’m meaner than my demons

What's the window? I just deleted a hoard of posts from when I first joined. Honestly curious b/c either it's a huge window or I am a magician

• Like x 7
  6. Snitchanon

Snitchanon What's a mod to a nonbeliever.

Because, while Something needs to be done, the Something remains quite nebulous.
    And, judging by community reaction, Staff need to be careful in their implementation.

• Like x 4
  7. seebs

Huh, maybe we don't have that.

In any event, unless there's a bug in the software, I don't expect it would be a problem. Maybe the "ask mods to delete" thing only applies to threads? Heck if I know.

• Like x 2
  8. Mendacity

Mendacity I’m meaner than my demons

Now THAT is indeed the case from my experience thus far!

9. seebs

I don't plan on adding bans to the mod toolkit any time soon. And honestly, a large part of this isn't focused on "what mods can do", but "making sure everyone understands where the community rules are".

Like, if you have a "rule" against "homophobia", it's not really about whether or not people can post a given word, or a given claim, or anything. It's about telling people that the community expects you to treat gay people like people.

• Like x 3
  10. rigorist

rigorist On the beach

Cannery Row in Monterey in California Kintsugi is a poem, a stink, a grating noise, a quality of light, a tone, a habit, a nostalgia, a dream. Cannery Row Kintsugi is the gathered and scattered, tin and iron and rust and splintered wood, chipped pavement and weedy lots and junk heaps, sardine canneries of corrugated iron, honky tonics, restaurants and whore houses, and little crowded groceries, and laboratories and flophouses. Its inhabitants are, as the man once said, "whores, pimps, gamblers, and sons of bitches," by which he meant everybody. Had the man looked through another peephole he might have said "Saints and angels and martyrs and holy men," and he would have meant the same thing.

John Steinbeck ~ Cannery Row

Lots of wisdom in "Cannery Row". Definitely a recommended read.

• Like x 14
  11. Toby

Toby vinny say something funny [18+]

If you feel like there's too many problems and not enough people trying to fix them, find more people!
    If you're stuck on the rules? Ask around, take suggestions, hell, even read OTHER forum's rules and see if you can get any ideas off of there!
    This is too hasty.
    That is all, peace outski. :'^)

• Like x 5
  12. Snitchanon

Snitchanon What's a mod to a nonbeliever.

Yeah. We have to be really careful of the wording.

But that's the gist of it.

Note - no-one is getting banned, and what is being generated will likely mostly be a more formal description of when things such as post moderation, thread locking and subforum bans are to be applied.

• Like x 6
  13. Morgan Jae

Morgan Jae pecure. sontain. crotect.

woulda been real nice to clarify this in the first place tbh

• Like x 9
  14. NevermorePoe

NevermorePoe Nevermore

I think a lot of people are nervous and upset right now and are making assumptions based on incomplete data. It might be in people's best interest to take a short break before coming back to the discussion.

Seebs, it would be helpful if we could get more details about what may or may not happen to the forum. Possible plans and courses of action, and potential timetables for those plans. I know when things change for me, additional data helps me feel more secure.

• Like x 4
  15. prismaticvoid

prismaticvoid Too Too Abstract

Okay, look. I am a person who, until absolute boiling point, gets calm-angry. So I don't feel the need to yell. I am, however, extremely angry and upset that this was even on the table in the first place.
    Seebs, I understand you're the dictator around here, and you get the last word because you make this forum exist. But this is meltdown logic. Nuking from orbit and starting over again is a last resort option, and we are in no way there yet! I know this whole thing has taken a toll on you, I understand that, and you deserve breaks and self-care as much as anyone else. Please try to do that. You have other mods. We can handle stuff around here while you recharge.
    (As a secondary note, I am another person who is terrified of structural changes like this, and would be violently uncomfortable with the forum becoming read-only, even with a replacement in place.)

• Like x 28
  16. devian

devian Well-Known Member

Then, frankly, Staff has done a really terrible job so far with "being careful in the implementation" of the Something, which makes it somewhat difficult to believe they will actually manage to do so when the Something happens for real.

Can the mods please like. table this discussion for a bit and have a serious think about the feedback actually being given by people here, and then come back later with clear information about what they want to happen and the reasons for such?

• Like x 16
  17. TheOthin

TheOthin skipped to campaign 2 for the tieflings

I think one thing that might be helpful to get information on, whenever possible, is in what ways staff responses to some sorts of actions we've seen that would often be described as as "being a dick" would be expected to differ under the new rule from how things have already been. And in what ways things wouldn't be different, for that matter.

• Like x 6
  18. Peophin

Peophin Easily Distracted

Okay, I'm mostly just a lurker here, so maybe my opinion doesn't hold as much weight as other people's, but I'd like to chime in and add to the chorus of people here to say that I also find this highly upsetting. I've been hanging around for weeks slowly gathering up the courage to start posting and interacting more on here, because frankly I've all but forgotten how normal social interaction works since my psychological breakdown several years ago, and I thought I finally found a community that could understand and support my attempts to figure out how to be a real person again. This is one of the only places on the internet where I'd feel comfortable actually interacting with people. But this? This just instantly killed my good mood and sent me into a rapid downward thought-spiral of "well I guess there's no fucking point trying to talk to people ever again, is there."

And yes, I realize the forum may not actually be going kaboom for good, but see other users' arguments of "it wouldn't be the same, how many people would stick around or move, it could just die in the attempt, it causes anxiety" etc. etc.

My point being, this decision doesn't just hurt your currently active userbase, it also hurts the people who don't have the courage to speak up.

• Like x 23
  19. leo

leo Well-Known Member

The recent events do not do you any favors, as most people have only been angry with you. If you decide to make it an actual rule, please describe the why rather than going, "this is going to exist," just like your statement of possibly having a new forum.

• Like x 5
  20. Chiomi

Chiomi Master of Disaster

I think that the major difference is that there are a number of threads which are open wounds - adding new rules while leaving people in the middle of the same fights does not seem conducive to general harmony. Which is why I'm in favor of it.

Seebs seems in favor of it because of the whole 'getting consent for rules' thing.

• Like x 2
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice