Separating your brain from yourself

Discussion in 'Braaaaiiiinnnns...' started by Aondeug, Jun 2, 2015.

1. Aondeug

Aondeug Cringe Annoying Ass Female Lobster

So I do this thing where I refer to my brain as being separate from myself. Like it's its own being with its own interests and its own perception of reality. My mind exists right alongside the brain, and ends up affecting the perception of myself. This then leads partly to my habit of referring to myself in the plural as "we". I think it might be related to my mental illness issues. Because OCD just kind of feels like this other person in your head screaming at you at all hours of the day while you kind of huddle up in a corner.

It also seems to be related to my belief that there are two realities, possibly. There is Absolute Reality which is reality as it truly is by objective rules. Then there are the conditioned realities that we perceive and interpret as reality. These conditioned realities aren't actually reality though. They're illusions masquerading as reality.

How and exactly why it is I do it though I tend to consider myself as being a separate entity from my brain. And I'm curious if anyone else does that? Or something like it.

• Like x 1
  2. Emma

Emma Your resident resident

I don't think I actually consider myself a separate entity from my brain exactly, but sometimes and in some circumstances I consider my brain a separate entity from myself, if that makes sense?
    Like, when I know I should be doing something important and I want to do it, and the EF issues makes it not happen, then I consider my brain to be a jerk who won't let me do what I want to do.

3. Aondeug

Aondeug Cringe Annoying Ass Female Lobster

That makes sense to me, yeah. I can definitely see it as being a thing that is just conditional, basically. Because a lot of the time for me it's not an issue or at least not a huge one. But then sometimes every last little thing is now a huge problem and my brain is like no now is you eat pennies or the world ends time and you're not allowed anything else. NOW EAT THEM OR ELSE. And I am just like no that is not a thing stop it I need to do this thing that is not that.

4. Missfortunate

Missfortunate Emotional one

*raises hand* meee, I definetly refer to my brain and myself as seperate, and sometimes we talk about stuff like my apearance for example and idk maybe its a little weird but ive got nothing on why I do it

5. Lib

Lib Well-Known Member

I do this a fair amount! Sometimes with EF, but more often with anxiety/intrusive thoughts/general irrational thought patterns. I find it helpful to externalise them a bit, I guess? Especially since part of me will know that these things aren't rational or necessary, and are in fact hurting me; the easiest and most effective way I've found to represent this duality is denoting 'brain'/'anxiety-brain' as the object whence these unhelpful thought patterns come, and addressing that from a viewpoint of 'me', which is separate from 'brain'. Thus I can be like 'brain, brain, why are you telling me people don't like me? We both know people like me. Stop fretting.'

6. hoarmurath

hoarmurath Thor's Hammer

Oh man this. I mean, my brain sometimes just goes off the rails at something and I am like "huh what". But it helps to treat it as a separate thing, so I don't go into another spiral of "I am a pathetic failure ugh ugh ugh".

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice